NFC Wild Card: 6. Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5) Sunday Night Football

Louis Friend

Rams @ Lions   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets revenge?

7 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

One thing that does give me heart is that Goff has never played really well in a post-season game. He got to the Super Bowl throwing one post-season touchdown (to two interceptions). The way the game is set up - Goff is going to need to carry some of the offense. The very reason McVay kicked him to the curb was because he didn't trust him in situations exactly like this and he's not proven him wrong - Sunday will be the ideal chance. 

The form the Rams in, that's Stafford in.. 7 wins in 8 with the only loss coming away at the Ravens in overtime. The Ravens who beat Niners & Dolphins badly. The Rams nearly had them if not for some very late Lamar magic. Rams are rightly the underdog for the game - we weren't ever expected to be in this position and had not been for some excellent drafting by Snead and outstanding coaching by McVay/Morris then we could've been looking at a top five pick. 

I've got no real expectation for the game, only optimism. If Lions win, I hope they go all the way! 

We know what Goff's weakness is (pressure in his face). We also know Goff can be lethal when he's well protected. Defense will have to deliver. Should be a fun game. I have no idea who will win. I can take losing to Detroit. And if they beat us, I hope they win it all. Nothing but respect for that bunch.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Just remember..if Todd Gurley and Cooper Kupp weren't injured for the Super Bowl Jared Goff would be a champion.

I dont disagree but there are a long list of would be champions when you start doing that....and poetic that the 2021 team was down Woods/OBJ after the first quarter along with Higbee and was basically down to nothing but Kupp

19 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

When the trade happened, it was wild. The pro Goff Rams fans went in the "if we don't win a Super Bowl it's a failure" direction.....obviously thinking, only 1/32 teams can win it all. No way that will happen right?

That's a disingenuous framing. The point was that we gave up two firsts, a third, and our young starting QB for Stafford. Goff had led us to four straight winning seasons, three playoff appearances in four years, a Super Bowl appearance, and had that year---a year in which he had played his worst football since his rookie year imo---helped us win a playoff game while playing with a broken thumb (and performed serviceably against Green Bay in our second round loss). If we're giving up that much for Stafford, a substantially older QB, it needed to be because he was bringing us what Goff couldn't, a Super Bowl win. And he did. So it was worth it.

22 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Rams are a scary team. They have a guru for an OC/HC. I feel like these two teams are both good, with the Rams being the sleeping giant of the NFC. 

We have a bunch of JAGs at CB and no consistent edge rush. I don't see it this year. Would love to be wrong.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Referee for this game will be Craig Wrolstad.

Yuck. He screwed us earlier this year against the Steelers.

• Like 1

Other than their game vs the Cowboys, haven’t seen more than 2 Rams games - what’s been the key to their turnaround and why are they on this trajectory?  I saw a ton of Philly games and watched their collapse first hand, but missed the Rams ascension

23 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Other than their game vs the Cowboys, haven’t seen more than 2 Rams games - what’s been the key to their turnaround and why are they on this trajectory?  I saw a ton of Philly games and watched their collapse first hand, but missed the Rams ascension

Having Kyren, Stafford, Puka, and Kupp all healthy. More of a balanced offensive attack, and our schedule really eased up post bye. 

25 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Their offense is really, really good and finally getting everyone healthy. Started the season without Kupp, then Kyren got hurt (and Stafford)...but in the last 6 weeks or so, everyone was back and they started to go bonkers. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Their offense is really, really good and finally getting everyone healthy. Started the season without Kupp, then Kyren got hurt (and Stafford)...but in the last 6 weeks or so, everyone was back and they started to go bonkers. 

I recall them having everyone healthy vs Dallas and other than the miscommunication between Stafford and Cupp on the route change for the blitz that led to the pick-6 by Bland, the offense didn’t look like the problem - it was their D that gave up 4 TDs

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

I recall them having everyone healthy vs Dallas and other than the miscommunication between Stafford and Cupp on the route change for the blitz that led to the pick-6 by Bland, the offense didn’t look like the problem - it was their D that gave up 4 TDs

Kyren didn't play that game. And then his backup was also hurt for that game so we had practice squad level RBs for that game and then Stafford played only the first half if I recall. And Dallas, will probably always be a bad matchup for us with their aggressive defense and WRs. But that game there was basically a pick 6, safety, and punt return TD in a 3 minute window. The game was over before it began. 

I'd expect if we meet in the playoffs it will be a lot more competitive, although matchup wise Dallas would have the upper hand. 

Edited by LeotheLion