AFC Wildcard Round: #7 Pittsburgh @ #2 Buffalo

Trentwannabe

Who Wins?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes this AFC Battle

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Of course Romo is calling this game, this is gonna be goddamn near unwatchable lol

I’ll be at the game so I won’t get to hear it but I know how annoying it is when a rival has a commentator who won’t shut up about a player or team. 

It is kinda neat to be on this side of it though lol

2 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

The Steelers - who’ve only gotten better - are worse than the Rams and Packers whom they beat?

Yes, they are def worse than the Rams and Packers. You have zero chance of winning a ring without a Top 25 QB in today's era of the NFL.

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

Yes, they are def worse than the Rams and Packers. You have zero chance of winning a ring without a Top 25 QB in today's era of the NFL.

Literally no one is saying they will win a ring.  Not even a single Steelers fan believes that will happen.

The argument is about them being the worst team in the playoffs.    Are they in the conversation?   Obviously.   Thats why they are the 7th seed....but its not really relevant.   Outside of 3 or 4 teams, they could give every team a fight.   Not even because the Steelers are good, but because most teams in the playoffs have shown major weaknesses this year.   

Depends which Steelers team shows up.   Against Buffalo in those conditions....it will probably be closer than many think.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 43M said:

Literally no one is saying they will win a ring.  Not even a single Steelers fan believes that will happen.

The argument is about them being the worst team in the playoffs.    Are they in the conversation?   Obviously.   Thats why they are the 7th seed....but its not really relevant.   Outside of 3 or 4 teams, they could give every team a fight.   Not even because the Steelers are good, but because most teams in the playoffs have shown major weaknesses this year.   

Depends which Steelers team shows up.   Against Buffalo in those conditions....it will probably be closer than many think.

Even so, I still think the Steelers are def the worst team in the playoffs. H2H is not the only indicator of skill level, especially when those games were a while ago. All three teams have gotten better but the Packers and Rams are like totally different teams now. Plus the Rams and Packers actually can compete with top tier teams like Dallas, SF, Bal, etc because they have a QB. I don't think Steelers are coming anywhere remotely close to beating one of those giants.

I think this game either ends up as one where the Steelers lose by 17 because the Bills finally put together the perfect game and are clicking on all cylinders…

OR more realistically, I see this being another one of those games where the Bills underestimate their opponent as they did against some of the other squads they’ve faced recently such as the Chargers without Herbert and the Patriots.

Assuming the latter scenario, I’m picking the Steelers to pull off the upset. The Bills exerted a lot of energy in overcoming and winning their division, they’ve suddenly now went from scrappy underdog that might not make the playoffs and turned into the #2 seed of the AFC. I think that could alter the chip they’ve had on their shoulders and distort their play further.

And we know the Steelers have shown a propensity for sticking around in games before pulling out a “lucky drive” that turns the complexion of the game. They’ve got Minkah back and with Josh Allen having shown the propensity to throw picks, I wouldn’t be shocked if the Steelers pickup a defensive score. Rudolph is playing great game manager complimentary type football so if the Steelers defense can elevate and win the turnover battle, the Steelers have proven to win close tight games at a regular clip. 

31 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Even so, I still think the Steelers are def the worst team in the playoffs. H2H is not the only indicator of skill level, especially when those games were a while ago. All three teams have gotten better but the Packers and Rams are like totally different teams now. Plus the Rams and Packers actually can compete with top tier teams like Dallas, SF, Bal, etc because they have a QB. I don't think Steelers are coming anywhere remotely close to beating one of those giants.

Again, I already stated there were a few teams the Steelers couldn't hang with.

And you are right...head to head isn't a hands down indicator of the better team.   But the point is, none of these teams are flawless or anywhere close to it.    The Steelers are extremely mediocre, but they have enough talent to make it interesting against at least half the the teams.    

As far as Buffalo, yes....they could blow the Steelers out.  But they have shown some major inconsistencies as well.  Factor in bad weather that cripples the passing games and the is suddenly more even.

Bottom line....Steelers may very well be the worst team in the playoffs and will probably lose....but its unlikely to be as lopsided as some make it seem.   

My guess is 19-10.

If TJ Watt was playing I would be much more nervous. He is a game wrecker and as good as Dawkins and Brown have been at tackle, they wouldn't keep him at bay all game.

I could see this game being like last years where the defense smothers the Steelers Offense - though Rudolph is obviously better than Pickett was in his first career start. But I can also see it being like the season opener in 2021 when a special teams TD was the difference and Pittsburgh upset Buffalo 23-16.

16 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Yea the Bills have shown us who they are too many times this year in this situation (Giants, Bucs, Broncos, etc.) - I think they win a stressful (for Bills fans) game.....something like 22-16

It's such a weird Bills team. They play to the exact level of their competition every single week. So frustrating. You also forgot the Jets game week 1 and the Bills loss to the Patriots LOL. Heck even the Chargers and Patriots the last 2 weeks.

But then they also have the best record in the NFL vs playoff teams at 5-1 with the only loss being against the Eagles in OT when they booted a 60 yarder. Could easily be 6-0 vs playoff teams. 

I do think this is the Bills best chance at a ring in the Allen era. Homefield vs the Steelers & if they win then they get KC/Texans/Browns in Buffalo where they're 7-1. They've also had the Ravens number in the years past but we'll see. 

I'll go Bills 27-Steelers 17.

• Like 1