Orioles Asking for Offers on Machado

mission27

52 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Not a chance. He goes to the Yanks, and destroys them for the next decade?? That's an awful idea.

Sooo say he goes to the White Sox for a lesser package, then leaves and signs with the Yankees next year and destroys you for the next decade anyways, when you could have gotten more for him.

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Haha.  Why the hell would the White Sox do that?  I realize their payroll is next to nothing and could offer Machado a monster extension deal, but they would have to give him a $500 million contract in order to forego FA and sign with that team.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Sooo say he goes to the White Sox for a lesser package, then leaves and signs with the Yankees next year and destroys you for the next decade anyways, when you could have gotten more for him.

You don't know where he's signing. Why would you give him to a division foe? It'd honestly be the dumbest move they could make, unless NY gave them something outlandish. 

Just now, pollino14 said:

You don't know where he's signing. Why would you give him to a division foe? It'd honestly be the dumbest move they could make, unless NY gave them something outlandish. 

PR-wise, it would be a nightmare.  They will need all the fan goodwill they can muster as they head towards a rebuild with a less-than-stellar farm system.  Trading away the team's best player since Cal would alienate too many fans.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Haha.  Why the hell would the White Sox do that?  I realize their payroll is next to nothing and could offer Machado a monster extension deal, but they would have to give him a $500 million contract in order to forego FA and sign with that team.

It’s insane.  Unless it’s just a pretext to trade him to the Yankees or Red Sox tbh.

1 hour ago, GmenSeattle said:

So wait, why isn't a SS capable player who can hit 30HR and steal 20 bases worth $400 million?  His walk and strikeout rates are good (or at least reasonable) as well...

Agree tbh.  If JDM gets 25-30, Machado is definitely worth 40.  And I’d have no issue giving a 26 year old 10 years.

My guess is people are scared off by what he did last year (even though there’s a ton of evidence it was a fluke) and haven’t wrapped their head around salary inflation.   But he’s worth the money.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

Agree tbh.  If JDM gets 25-30, Machado is definitely worth 40.  And I’d have no issue giving a 26 year old 10 years.

My guess is people are scared off by what he did last year (even though there’s a ton of evidence it was a fluke) and haven’t wrapped their head around salary inflation.   But he’s worth the money.

Yup. If a win is up to about a $8M now that is just 5 WAR a season. Certainly doable for him. At the very least he should do well enough that it isn't an albatross of a contract.

8 hours ago, pollino14 said:

If you don't know where he's signing (which is true) why do you keep talking about giving him to a division foe for a decade? It's only 1 season. What happens after that has nothing to do with any trade they make (unless part of the trade is him negotiating an extension which is not going to happen).

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

If you don't know where he's signing (which is true) why do you keep talking about giving him to a division foe for a decade? It's only 1 season. What happens after that has nothing to do with any trade they make (unless part of the trade is him negotiating an extension which is not going to happen).

Yep, with that logic he could spurn the Yankees and go to St. Louis I’m free agency or something.

Archived