2024 Titans HC Coaching Search

KingTitan

12 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I agree. I also wonder if younger, millennial defensive coaches might be more progressive in how they approach offense. The “Madden” generation is a real thing.

As successful as Harbugh has been in Baltimore, he tends to hire OC's that are middle of the road. But they do adapt. 

If we go Defensive coach as a hire then he has to be willing to adapt. 

so, interview requests so far that i like:

Bobby Slowik, Texans OC
Ben Johnson, Lions OC
Brian Callahan, Bengals OC
Mike Macdonald, Ravens DC

...and that i don't like:

Aaron Glenn, Lions DC
Antonio Pierce, Raiders interim HC
Mike Kafka, Giants OC
Dan Quinn, Cowboys DC

read up a little bit on glenn and the guy just sounds like vrabel 2.0. his defense as a DC isn't very good but he's a great motivator and respected by players. really don't see why we'd want to go for that again. pierce is sort of in the same mold- he's got a lot of juice and i suspect he might be a little more forward-thinking but i'm just not sold. kafka is interesting...he was a hot candidate last year coming off a strong giants season but that reputation has dimmed quite a bit this year. hard to say he's to blame for all of that, but anytime you hire someone out of a mess of a team it's tough to be inspired. and quinn....god, just no. the last thing a team in rebuild needs is an aging retread.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

so, interview requests so far that i like:

Bobby Slowik, Texans OC
Ben Johnson, Lions OC
Brian Callahan, Bengals OC
Mike Macdonald, Ravens DC

...and that i don't like:

Aaron Glenn, Lions DC
Antonio Pierce, Raiders interim HC
Mike Kafka, Giants OC
Dan Quinn, Cowboys DC

read up a little bit on glenn and the guy just sounds like vrabel 2.0. his defense as a DC isn't very good but he's a great motivator and respected by players. really don't see why we'd want to go for that again. pierce is sort of in the same mold- he's got a lot of juice and i suspect he might be a little more forward-thinking but i'm just not sold. kafka is interesting...he was a hot candidate last year coming off a strong giants season but that reputation has dimmed quite a bit this year. hard to say he's to blame for all of that, but anytime you hire someone out of a mess of a team it's tough to be inspired. and quinn....god, just no. the last thing a team in rebuild needs is an aging retread.

Kafka and Quinn are the absolute NO's. I legit would think about not watching this team again. I'd be seriously disappointed in Quinn. 
I could maybe get talked into Kafka. I still remember him as the Northwestern QB. 

38 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Kafka and Quinn are the absolute NO's. I legit would think about not watching this team again. I'd be seriously disappointed in Quinn. 
I could maybe get talked into Kafka. I still remember him as the Northwestern QB. 

I'd be able to be ok with Kafka not my first choice but not my last either. Quinn more than likely no HOWEVER he did hire Shanahan in Atlanta so maybe he would hire a competent OC? But he's out of everyone my bottom choice and one I don't want to try to get behind

7 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

Definitely like seeing all the requests for interviews. Unlike that one year where it felt like a complete sham of a coaching search lol

Which one? lol
The 4 interview: Vrabel one.

or

The stupid Murlarkey one. lol

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Which one? lol
The 4 interview: Vrabel one.

or

The stupid Murlarkey one. lol

i was gonna say...it was both of them lol. for as concerned as people seem to be now about how the organization is being run, our process for both vrabel and mularkey was horrendous and basically a sham where the candidate was practically predetermined (and, as long as we're talking process, the fisher to munchak transition was also a disaster). as discouraged as i am by how this all went down, i at least appreciate that we seem to be conducting a normal hiring process this time around.

19 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i was gonna say...it was both of them lol. for as concerned as people seem to be now about how the organization is being run, our process for both vrabel and mularkey was horrendous and basically a sham where the candidate was practically predetermined (and, as long as we're talking process, the fisher to munchak transition was also a disaster). as discouraged as i am by how this all went down, i at least appreciate that we seem to be conducting a normal hiring process this time around.

I'm getting PTSD being reminded of how bad the last hires have been.

Munch was clearly not ready, and it was a bad idea from the start.  Whisenhunt, I don't remember the process, but as bad as he was, it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Then the Mularkey search was so obviously a formality.  He did aight though.  Vrabel too, seemed like an awful idea.

But hey, of the previous coaches, the one that seemed the best and most exciting was Whisenhunt.  He was a retread, but a retread who'd had a year as a fantastic OC.  IIRC, he was like the consensus top candidate of the cycle.  And he was the worst of the bunch.

Vrabel was an awful DC from the Texans, and he was the best.  Mularkey was a triple retread HC who'd gone 2-7 as IHC, and he led us to back to back winning seasons and a playoff win.

So hey, maybe when we hire someone disappointing and bland, it'll be a good result.