2024 Titans HC Coaching Search

KingTitan

right now, ben johnson is the top guy for me. he's got the most impressive track record of the bunch. like that he comes from the campbell tree. excellent, aggressive playcaller and widely respected. unfortunately as the "big fish" candidate i don't expect us to land him as there are better opportunities out there, but he'd be a very exciting hire. behind him there are three guys who are honestly 2a/2b/2c for me as they all have intriguing strengths and weaknesses:

2a. frank smith. players coach and beloved as a teacher of the game. has presided over OL improvements at multiple stops. if we want to go in the opposite direction of vrabel's bigger faults, arrogance and stubbornness, he seems to be the polar opposite of that. has served in a lot of staffs in a lot of roles and supposedly a great relationship builder, which makes me optimistic about his ability to work with ran and to build a staff. concerns include a lack of playcalling experience and not necessarily being a QB guy. 

2b. bobby slowik. shanahan tree through and through, strongest ran carthon connection of the bunch. would likely be an offensive playcalling head coach. obviously just had a remarkable season with CJ stroud. fun playcaller- lots of potential, but very green. only one season as an OC and i'm a little concerned about his ability to build a staff.

2c. brian callahan. has a track record of working with good QBs; worked under jim caldwell who i personally hold in pretty high esteem as an offensive mind. receives credit for helping develop joe burrow and for helping the bengals offense evolve through a couple of different iterations. perceived as a flexible problem-solver on offense. could possibly bring his dad with him which would instantly solve our OL coach woes, but that's far from a guarantee since callahan sr is already OL coach for the browns (he's a legend, though. one of the best out there. would be a coup). concerns are similar to smith and slowik: no playcalling experience and not sure what his staff would look like, though my guess is he'd be able to cast a wider net than slowik.

• Like 1

Another reason to want an Offensive HC is the development of Levis, more importantly his recognition if he isn't the guy. I think if we have defensive HC then the OC will have to relay to the HC why Levis isn't cutting it and we need a new QB...who would then have to relay to the GM.  I would rather have the direct communication and ability to say why he doesn't believe in him and move on sooner rather than later. Also an offensive coach will best understand how to get the most from a QB...better understanding of his strengths and weaknesses. 

I don't have a preference on which offensive candidate we hire, I trust Amy and Ran to get the right guy. Seems like each of Amy's hires have been decent from Mularky on. 

I have to think San Diego will be the premier job, and will have their choice of the candidates.

It also seems like Jim Harbaugh is the "top candidate," so I am guessing he goes there.

Washington and Seattle I think are significantly better destinations than Tennessee. Washington has the premium draft pick so if a coach likes Daniels or Maye enough to pin a franchise to them, then Washington is extremely appealing.  And there will definitely be coaches who think that.  They could also potentially trade up for Caleb if the Bears are considering keeping Fields, which I have to think they are.  Trading down to two and being able to secure the possibly generational WR prospect while also getting more assets has to be worth considering over a haul to move down further if you're the Bears.

Seattle just has a strong roster.  Geno may not be the guy, but they've shown they can win with him.

Tennessee has to be near the top, if you believe in Levis.  But that's gonna be the question.  If a coach likes Levis, they're going to see Tennessee as a team where the biggest problem is already solved.  Hell, coaches that think Levis looks like a franchise QB would probably prefer Tennessee over Seattle.

Any coach that doesn't think that though probably sees Tennessee as bottom tier.

I think I’ve come to the conclusion I’m out on a defensive guy.

Unless you have a proven, established QB, I don’t think I’d hire a defensive guy if I was a GM/Owner. Maybe you strike gold and get a guy like Demeco Ryans but I wouldn’t do it. Even if they’re in the CEO mold like Vrabel, they still always fall back to their defensive instincts of “conservative control the ball offense and playing tough defense”. You can win that way, sure, but overall I don’t think that’s a recipe to winning a Super Bowl in 2024 and beyond.

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

pierce is a fun one but i'm sooooo uninspired by another defensive coach man

I like Pierce. Dude has quite a bit of juice. Players love him and I would bet he would be forward thinking about today's NFL. A lot of people say he is a super smart guy. I would love to lean offensive, but it's good to keep all avenues open. Also Ran being a person of color and the organization as a whole starting to become a bit forward thinking, I wouldn't rule out us hiring a person of color. Eric Bienemy could be a person I would assume we would interview as well.