2024 Titans HC Coaching Search

KingTitan

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m starting to move more towards preferring Callahan to Slowik.

Both have good resumes, and Slowik looks more like the wunderkind, but I also don’t know how many assistants Slowik would be able to convince to come with him.

Callahan has been there longer, and would probably be able to grab higher level guys to bring with him. Like his dad for OL. And of course, he brings with him experience running an effective offense with a ****ty OL.

Ben Johnson still probably top choice though.

I want to study his offenses more. Maybe it's a Zac Taylor thing. 

Looking at Callahan and the Bengals it feels like they are dependent on their talent more than scheme. 

Of course you always want great talent, but I like what Slowik and Johnson has done without a stacked WR room. 

But Johnson has that O line that makes it all easier. 

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m starting to move more towards preferring Callahan to Slowik.

Both have good resumes, and Slowik looks more like the wunderkind, but I also don’t know how many assistants Slowik would be able to convince to come with him.

Callahan has been there longer, and would probably be able to grab higher level guys to bring with him. Like his dad for OL. And of course, he brings with him experience running an effective offense with a ****ty OL.

Ben Johnson still probably top choice though.

i feel like i have the least info about callahan because he doesn't call plays and it's tough to attribute a single offensive lineage to him. zac taylor is a mcvay guy but when i watch the bengals i don't actually see a lot of wide zone, play action, etc that are hallmarks of the shanahan offense. it's a ton of shotgun and drop back passing. now, maybe that's because they're trying to maximize joe burrow, and hey, they certainly seem to have done that. but callahan's overall background includes stints with jim caldwell, jon gruden, and (uhhhh) adam gase. he almost feels like the inverse of slowik to me- while it's easy to see what slowik's offense would look like in practice, there are questions about what his staff could be. callahan is likely to have a pretty deep rolodex, but it's hard to put a finger on what things would look like on the field for him.

Something also to think about is the defense. 

Remember when we were w 4-3 forever and dreamed of being a 3-4. 

With Vrabel we were very multiple and seems like we were pretty much a 4-3/3-4 hybrid. 

If we took Slowik and he adopted the Niners defense, I believe they are mainly a 4-3. 

9 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i feel like i have the least info about callahan because he doesn't call plays and it's tough to attribute a single offensive lineage to him. zac taylor is a mcvay guy but when i watch the bengals i don't actually see a lot of wide zone, play action, etc that are hallmarks of the shanahan offense. it's a ton of shotgun and drop back passing. now, maybe that's because they're trying to maximize joe burrow, and hey, they certainly seem to have done that. but callahan's overall background includes stints with jim caldwell, jon gruden, and (uhhhh) adam gase. he almost feels like the inverse of slowik to me- while it's easy to see what slowik's offense would look like in practice, there are questions about what his staff could be. callahan is likely to have a pretty deep rolodex, but it's hard to put a finger on what things would look like on the field for him.

I can’t remember if it was posted here or not but there was an Athletic article on Callahan and how he adapts to the play strengths and personality of whatever QB he coaches. For example, the offense he ran for Tebow was completely different than the one ran for Peyton which was completely different from the one ran for Stafford. For better or worse, I don’t think he’s necessarily married to a specific offense. It’s why I wonder if he comes here if he’d be interested in Liam Coen to call plays and build around the strength of Levis.

Here’s the article btw, just in case it hasn’t been posted.

https://theathletic.com/3542679/2022/08/30/bengals-brian-callahan-coaching-candidates/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Something also to think about is the defense. 

Remember when we were w 4-3 forever and dreamed of being a 3-4. 

With Vrabel we were very multiple and seems like we were pretty much a 4-3/3-4 hybrid. 

If we took Slowik and he adopted the Niners defense, I believe they are mainly a 4-3. 

i don't think there are a lot of teams that run a straight-ahead, traditional 3-4 any more with the way modern passing games have proliferated. you're running so much nickel that it's almost become the base defense for a lot of teams, whether that means 4 down linemen ever play or standing guys up. i suspect we will continue to be multiple, as that's the way the league has been going.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I can’t remember if it was posted here or not but there was an Athletic article on Callahan and how he adapts to the play strengths and personality of whatever QB he coaches. For example, the offense he ran for Tebow was completely different than the one ran for Peyton which was completely different from the one ran for Stafford. For better or worse, I don’t think he’s necessarily married to a specific offense. It’s why I wonder if he comes here if he’d be interested in Liam Coen to call plays and build around the strength of Levis.

Here’s the article btw, just in case it hasn’t been posted.

https://theathletic.com/3542679/2022/08/30/bengals-brian-callahan-coaching-candidates/

my reaction more than anything to that article is "this guy is a good QB coach" lol. i suppose the intangibles/leadership qualities/management ability required of a head coach are just...something you have to suss out in the interview and whatnot. but it does raise the question of, if callahan isn't calling the plays here, don't you run into that same issue of a revolving door of OCs? i suppose the hope is because he's an offensive guy he's more in touch with what he'd need out of a replacement and is able to keep the overall infrastructure the same.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

my reaction more than anything to that article is "this guy is a good QB coach" lol. i suppose the intangibles/leadership qualities/management ability required of a head coach are just...something you have to suss out in the interview and whatnot. but it does raise the question of, if callahan isn't calling the plays here, don't you run into that same issue of a revolving door of OCs? i suppose the hope is because he's an offensive guy he's more in touch with what he'd need out of a replacement and is able to keep the overall infrastructure the same.

Yeah if we hire an offensive guy that won't call plays or never called plays, then might as well get the best DC in MacDonald. 

Or even a special teams coach. 

I can’t remember who said it but I recall reading someone say they prefer Ben Johnson over  slowlik because slowlik was more so scheming people open. 
man listen do you know how hard it is to scheme open guys vs a #1 defense & to put your trust in a rookie QB in the playoffs

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i don't think there are a lot of teams that run a straight-ahead, traditional 3-4 any more with the way modern passing games have proliferated. you're running so much nickel that it's almost become the base defense for a lot of teams, whether that means 4 down linemen ever play or standing guys up. i suspect we will continue to be multiple, as that's the way the league has been going.

I don’t think there are many teams that run their base defense more than like a third of the total snaps anyway.

Nickel or even dime is the true base defense in the modern NFL.

Looking at some games where Kafka was calling plays I'm like him. 

Mixed calls on 1st downs. Some great man and zone beater routes. 

Made Devito look like a real pro. Mahomes credits him for his early development. 

Made Daniel Jones look good last year. 

I wonder can he handle a team and lead players. But xs and os. I'm in. 

46 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Hire MacDonald. 

Hire Kafka as OC?

We already had a good defensive minded head coach who was a proven winner(and had some good OC hires to his name) and fired him because he's not on the offensive thought train that's taking the league by storm.

No idea why we'd fire a proven winner to hire a question mark defensive mind(not that his defense is a question mark, but as a head coach). Gonna be really confused if Quinn or MacDonald are the hires.

Defensive guys are just naturally more reserved/conservative. Even Ryans in Houston, their offense isn't as flashy as the Shanahan/McVay trend would dictate it should be.

• Like 1