New OC Candidates - Workin towards Waldron (pg 18)

StLunatic88

Welp.  If you want to get the buzzkill version of the Shane Waldron report, listen to Hoge and Jahns from today. They have a Seattle writer who has not very good reviews on him.  Generally didn't think he was very effective at adapting after his initial scripted plays were done, and suggested he had little to do with Geno Smith's good year.  Just another bit of data. 

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Then you get the uber-athlete at TE (Bowers or Pitts) and then do what I've been begging for, use the move TE as either the 2nd TE in 12 or as the slot WR in a faux-11 personnel. (Or even move them to the X and let Moore have more room to maneuver outside from the slot).

How do we get Pitts and what's his value? I know he's super athletic and all but his first few seasons have been pretty underwhelming if we're being honest 

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

How do we get Pitts and what's his value? I know he's super athletic and all but his first few seasons have been pretty underwhelming if we're being honest 

I think its spinning off the idea in my mock. But if we are trading with Atlanta at all (even if its Fields) Id imagine Pitts is on the table. Seems many are forgetting that he was a 1000 yard rookie receiver

He has been underwhelming sure, but he has also been underutilized by not only Arthur Smith, but by the QBs they have had as well. 

Not to mention the MCL Tear in 2022, that he is really just fully recuperating form

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think its spinning off the idea in my mock. But if we are trading with Atlanta at all (even if its Fields) Id imagine Pitts is on the table. Seems many are forgetting that he was a 1000 yard rookie receiver

He has been underwhelming sure, but he has also been underutilized by not only Arthur Smith, but by the QBs they have had as well. 

Not to mention the MCL Tear in 2022, that he is really just fully recuperating form

Fair points. Tho I'm skeptical he'd be part of any trade package if Fields were to be traded there

Also pretty sure Pitts and Fields are buddies. Not that this means they can't be traded for one another but I imagine if you're Atlanta and trading for Fields then you'd rather give up draft capital than the opportunity for these two to play together. 

You want Fields to have as many weapons at his disposal as you can if he is to have success. Goes without saying but I mean you probably get where I'm going with this 

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Welp.  If you want to get the buzzkill version of the Shane Waldron report, listen to Hoge and Jahns from today. They have a Seattle writer who has not very good reviews on him.  Generally didn't think he was very effective at adapting after his initial scripted plays were done, and suggested he had little to do with Geno Smith's good year.  Just another bit of data. 

Have to say I found it really weird and I think something Hoge said right after the Seattle reporter went off the line made a lot of sense...Waldron was a coach under Belichick and doesn't give a lot away to the media...seemed like the reporter was more annoyed about that than anything else...

To say Geno being confident was 70% of the reason he suddenly was a good NFL QB and not a bust then completely downplay what Waldron did and say the rest was probably Pete Carroll for believing in Geno just stood out to me as someone with an obvious bias...even if you don't think he was the main reason it can't just be ignored what Waldron did.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

To say Geno being confident was 70% of the reason he suddenly was a good NFL QB and not a bust then completely downplay what Waldron did and say the rest was probably Pete Carroll for believing in Geno just stood out to me as someone with an obvious bias...even if you don't think he was the main reason it can't just be ignored what Waldron did.

yeah, that interview was kinda weird. the guy really harped on he didn't like waldron's 3rd down offense and brought out stats, but then glossed over the fact that his 1st and 2nd down offense was one of the best in the league. then went on to talk about how the reason Geno busted in NYJ/NYG/LAC was because he wasn't confident, but once he became "the guy" all of a sudden he started having career years in his age 32-33 seasons

I think waldron has his pluses and minuses, but the whole conversation skewed really negative

• Like 2

Yeah the H+J interview was odd. 

One thing I took away from all the talk about waldron is wr2 and wr3 on Seattle where getting dramatically more targets...like double what we where doing last year. 

We blatantly don't have the personnel right now to support that. 

Also fwiw, just pure passing attempt volume, I can't see any scenario they'd keep Fields for that kind of pass heavy offense. 

The counter point to that of course being that perhaps they just passed that much because they where relatively stacked on receiving threats... A kind of chicken-egg debate. 

23 minutes ago, Epyon said:

An update to my last post Sports Mockery had an article today about the Seahawks run game and why they where so pass heavy.. 

Interesting stuff. 

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/turns-out-the-biggest-criticism-of-shane-waldron-wasnt-his-fault/

it legitimately took me like, 5 minutes to find SEA on the chart that's imbedded in that article

it also goes to show how walker was such a boom or bust player. he's got all the physical qualities you would want in a back, but you've gotta be able to make a read first.

side note: saquan in a waldron offense 😤

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

saquan in a waldron offense

Wouldn't at all mind trying to get Saquon or Pollard here for a bit more of a threat from the backfield, if either actually becomes available, but doubtful we go that route. Poles seems pretty disciplined about not paying RBs. 

That said, moving on from Eddie Jackson would free up more than enough room. 

Also, fwiw, I'm not very bullish on any running backs from this draft class as of yet. Braelon Allen is probably the most interesting as a potential feature back, very young, gigantic, and surprisingly nimble... He doesn't quite run with the physicality you'd expect for a guy that big, though..... The Clemson back is also intestesting as more of a receiver threat out of the backfield. Sadly all the sims have them both basically needing to be grabbed in the early third, and I'm just not sure that's a luxury we can afford since I wouldn't think either starts this year, where there are likely still OL or WR that could start for us. 

Edited by Epyon

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

it legitimately took me like, 5 minutes to find SEA on the chart that's imbedded in that article

it also goes to show how walker was such a boom or bust player. he's got all the physical qualities you would want in a back, but you've gotta be able to make a read first.

side note: saquan in a waldron offense 😤

Saquon would be great...Tony Pollard would be great...

I just struggle to see us spending a lot of money at the RB position...just doesn't seem to be anywhere in Poles DNA...

One guy who could be a perfect compliment to Herbert as a 1a/1b is Austin Ekler...coming off a down year in LA he still has excellent hands and on the right sort of 2 year contract would make a ton of sense as a safety blanket for a rookie QB.

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Saquon would be great...Tony Pollard would be great...

I just struggle to see us spending a lot of money at the RB position...just doesn't seem to be anywhere in Poles DNA...

One guy who could be a perfect compliment to Herbert as a 1a/1b is Austin Ekler...coming off a down year in LA he still has excellent hands and on the right sort of 2 year contract would make a ton of sense as a safety blanket for a rookie QB.

To be fair none of us expected him to go all out at the LB spot while doing little at EDGE.

If anything we can count on Poles to stick to his plan and follow it with conviction. I doubt he panics at whatever choice but he certainly will attack whatever he thinks he needs.

21 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

To be fair none of us expected him to go all out at the LB spot while doing little at EDGE.

If anything we can count on Poles to stick to his plan and follow it with conviction. I doubt he panics at whatever choice but he certainly will attack whatever he thinks he needs.

True

That said I just think RB & Safety are now positions that teams hate spending money on.