Pete Carroll is expected to step down as Seahawks HC

NYRaider

😳 Wow. Did not expect this at all.

The language is important here as well. Is he really 'stepping down'? There's a big difference between 'stepping down', 'retiring', 'forced retirement', 'parting ways', and all the other terms that have been used before. I saw a mention that he could stay in the front office; maybe he really is just getting too old to coach? It's possible. The guy has been able to collect medicare for a while now.

He's still a great coach. If he wanted to coach elsewhere and was given the opportunity to look, I can't imagine he'd be on the market for long. Dave Tepper would give him a blank check, I'm sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Didn't he just say he wanted to continue coaching?! 

Most of these "step downs" are firings, but the coach did such an amazing job for the team, the Owner and HC agree to label it as a "mutual parting". You saw it with Couglin, you'll see it with Bellicheck. 

• Like 4

Didn't expect Jody Allen to actually pull the trigger on this, but it is frankly overdue. The game has lapped Pete and we have been little brother ever since Shanahan & McVay joined the division. 

Will be very interesting to see who we go with next. Dan Quinn appears to be the hot name early but I'd frankly be pretty disappointed with that. If it is a defensive coach, I'd honestly prefer Brian Flores. 

Aside from that, I'm rooting for an offensive mind. Give me BJohnson, Slowik, or Bienemy. 

• Like 1