Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

Honestly while it might only be a bunch of potential rentals I love that they are adding competent depth at each spot. No more ignoring positions. Competition everywhere. I believe the OT market has started slow but I believe we are in on that. I would have loved to pry Kenny More from Indy but honestly I’m hoping that Forbes in this system becomes the player he was at Miss St. he wasn’t the player I would have selected but there’s a real skillset there that I believe was perfect for Dan Quinn and Whitt Jr. when I was scouting him that was very high in my notes I said that in a Quinn defense this guy is a possible all pro if he can hold up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

In theory, it could be 3 starters and 3 major year 1 contributors. I'd like that. It also gives you more of an opportunity to some BPA'ing. 

While I WILL draft for need, I hate to HAVE to. So I'm very happy with how we're approaching this so that we can just grab BPA. This is gonna make this draft the "funnest" one I've seen in awhile. At least I hope. They still have time to crap the bed during the draft (*)

(*) but I don't get the sense from Peters and Quinn that they are going to get too cute and overdraft a player and reach for guys 2 rounds early

• Like 2

Adam Schefter 

A new weapon for Patrick Mahomes: Former Ravens and Cardinals WR Marquise “Hollywood” Brown is expected to sign a one-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, per sources.

During is final season in Baltimore in 2021, Brown had 91 catches for 1,008 yards and six touchdowns. During 26 games over two seasons in Arizona, Brown had 118 catches for 1,283 yards and seven TDs.

13 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Adam Schefter 

Former Commanders WR Curtis Samuel is signing a three-year, $24 million deal worth up to $30 million, including $15 million guaranteed, with the Buffalo Bills, per source.

That is a lot of money for a guy who isn’t that good.  Guess it’s a player’s market this year.  

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

While I WILL draft for need, I hate to HAVE to. So I'm very happy with how we're approaching this so that we can just grab BPA. This is gonna make this draft the "funnest" one I've seen in awhile. At least I hope. They still have time to crap the bed during the draft (*)

(*) but I don't get the sense from Peters and Quinn that they are going to get too cute and overdraft a player and reach for guys 2 rounds early

9 draft picks is 20% of your active game-day roster.  Most of our FAs are 1-2 year deals, spread out amongst different positions.  They are setting themselves up BPA, and when these draft picks hit their stride, the rentals are gone.  

The talent level, while not great, has also been raised overall with some of the players we are bringing in.  

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

The talent level, while not great, has also been raised overall with some of the players we are bringing in.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-four-biggest-surprises-so-far

Commanders making plenty of smart moves

It hasn't been shocking to see the Commanders in blitz mode early in free agency. They have the money. They need the talent -- and the buzz.

But the flurry of moves they've made so far -- more than a dozen signings at publishing -- haven't cost the team dearly. New GM Adam Peters is stockpiling mostly young talents, plus a few experienced leaders, to replenish a Washington roster that had a number of small-to-medium holes that needed fixing before the biggest ones can be addressed.

The Marcus Mariota acquisition didn't particularly move me, but for a team that's destined to draft a quarterback with the second overall pick, it made some sense. Even with signing 34-year-old Bobby Wagner, most of the additions were of the under-30 variety, and if you're going to give an aged veteran a contract, do it short term (one year) for manageable money ($8.5 million) and to a guy who never misses snaps. The Zach Ertz signing is in this same vein.

Frankie Luvu was my favorite upside addition, with Dorance Armstrong not terribly far behind. Tyler Biadasz, Nick Allegretti, Jeremy Chinn and Austin Ekeler -- these aren't sexy signings, but they're smart infrastructure pieces. Again, mostly one- and two-year deals. Mostly cheap, by league standards.

The Commanders are creating competition and depth, and it's not costing them a ton. Who can't sign off on that approach?

Free agency is one piece of the puzzle, and it's often overrated in some respects. But there's little doubt this roster needed a thicker layer of insulation, and Peters is off to a great start in that respect. Forgoing the splashy moves of the prior regime, Peters is showing in his first few months on the job that he might understand this roster-building thing pretty well.

This has the short-term effect of improving the talent and professionalism on the roster. Long term, it can set up the team to be more picky in free agency and improve its compensatory-pick equation, something Washington hasn't taken advantage of historically. There's plenty left to achieve for the Commanders, but the early phase of free agency has given them a promising start to their journey.

There are still some names out there that we could scoop that could help us, especially on some buy low 1 year type deals:

Tyron Smith, T
Stephon Gilmore, CB
Trent Brown, T
Yosh Nijman, T
Steven Nelson, CB
Kristian Fulton, CB
KJ Osborn, WR
Tyler Boyd, WR
Josh Jones, T
Andrus Peat, G/T
Tre'Davious White, CB
Ahkello Witherspoon, CB
Hunter Renfrow, WR

It’s weird, I’m not really sure how I feel about this off-season? Curl, to me, is way better than Chinn. Kendall Fuller was far and way our best corner and we let him walk for peanuts. We’ve done absolutely nothing at tackle. Signed a guard who is basically another Nick Gates type. I get the volume of signings is a nice change and I think we have added some talent but I really don’t care for letting Curl and Fuller walk. I don’t want to hear how Fuller doesn’t line up with our timeline because we’ve signed a few older guys as well. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s weird, I’m not really sure how I feel about this off-season? Curl, to me, is way better than Chinn. Kendall Fuller was far and way our best corner and we let him walk for peanuts. We’ve done absolutely nothing at tackle. Signed a guard who is basically another Nick Gates type. I get the volume of signings is a nice change and I think we have added some talent but I really don’t care for letting Curl and Fuller walk. I don’t want to hear how Fuller doesn’t line up with our timeline because we’ve signed a few older guys as well. 

I think we just have to hope they knew what they were doing with Curl. The market spoke for him, although safety has been a little weird so far. Maybe he just didn't fit what Quinn and Whitt want for their defense. I too still think Fuller leaving is a mistake, but he might truly just be leaving regardless. The timeline comment is weird, but maybe it's what he truly thought. From everything Chiefs fans and pundits have said, comparing Alleghetti to Gates seems pretty unfair (yes, I looked at PFF scores, you don't need to send them to me). There's still tackles out there - I don't think really any have signed, or at least not a high volume - so there is still time there. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Plus we dumped a solid QB for peanuts. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Plus we dumped a solid QB for peanuts. 

I agree. I personally would’ve held onto Sam but this is almost like they’re simply moving on from the whole roster. It’s weird.