Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

So curious about this new front office. First off on how they’re going to approach free agency and then the draft. This offseason can’t come fast enough. 
 Hopefully they will be more aggressive than RR and company and not wait until all the A- listers are gone. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 3

The LT position has been driving me crazy. I just have not seen the options out there for us, either in FA or the draft (as I think the plug and play LT starters will be gone by our pick). 

When I saw that Broncos traded Jerry Jeudy, it made me think about Garett Bolles. One of the great reclamations of all time — Mike Munchak should get a percentage of every dollar Bolles ever makes, for having saved his career the way he did. 

That said, he’s a legit starting LT, would be 32 years old when opening day rolls around. Good track record of durability (broken leg in 2022 is the only significant missed time as a pro) and he’s an excellent athlete, which should make him an easy fit in what Kingsbury/Lynn are looking to do. 

He’s in the last year of his contract. We’d pay him $16M against the cap this year, which we could easily carry — or we could extend him if we like the fit that much. Trading him would save the Broncos $16M in cap space, so they might be very inclined to do that, with the manner in which Mr. Unlimited (Dead Cap)’s release has hamstrung them. 

The contract status would probably drive the price down. Could we get him for pick 101?

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

So curious about this new front office. First off on how they’re going to approach free agency and then the draft. This offseason can’t come fast enough. 
 Hopefully they will be more aggressive than RR and company and not wait until all the A- listers are gone. 

Keim has basically said they’re going to take a similar approach which scares me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Keim has basically said they’re going to take a similar approach which scares me. 

God's mouth to his ear huh ?? We'll frekkin' know --when we know ! 👿 ( not directed at you Lavar )

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The LT position has been driving me crazy. I just have not seen the options out there for us, either in FA or the draft (as I think the plug and play LT starters will be gone by our pick). 

When I saw that Broncos traded Jerry Jeudy, it made me think about Garett Bolles. One of the great reclamations of all time — Mike Munchak should get a percentage of every dollar Bolles ever makes, for having saved his career the way he did. 

That said, he’s a legit starting LT, would be 32 years old when opening day rolls around. Good track record of durability (broken leg in 2022 is the only significant missed time as a pro) and he’s an excellent athlete, which should make him an easy fit in what Kingsbury/Lynn are looking to do. 

He’s in the last year of his contract. We’d pay him $16M against the cap this year, which we could easily carry — or we could extend him if we like the fit that much. Trading him would save the Broncos $16M in cap space, so they might be very inclined to do that, with the manner in which Mr. Unlimited (Dead Cap)’s release has hamstrung them. 

The contract status would probably drive the price down. Could we get him for pick 101?

I’ve been thinking about LT as well and the 2 ideas I came up with was that we sign Lucas for a year who played pretty well at LT. If we sign M. Onwenu is he able to switch to LT. 

• Like 1

I think our best option if OT is the goal is moving back into round 1. Unless they move back and acquire another 2 and other picks because we just aren’t really in the best spot outside of getting maybe the one or two OL that fall out of the first with our top second round choice but that will more then likely be an interior player then a tackle IMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I think our best option if OT is the goal is moving back into round 1. Unless they move back and acquire another 2 and other picks because we just aren’t really in the best spot outside of getting maybe the one or two OL that fall out of the first with our top second round choice but that will more then likely be an interior player then a tackle IMO

I’ve been trying to think of a way that they could turn Howell into additional ammunition to get up to the 18-20 range. That’s where I’d wager the last of the second tier OTs (Latham, Mims) is going to go. 

They might be able to do a little bit shorter jump if they like someone in the Fautanu/Guyton/Morgan group as an OT. That’s probably very manageable from 36, actually. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’ve been trying to think of a way that they could turn Howell into additional ammunition to get up to the 18-20 range. That’s where I’d wager the last of the second tier OTs (Latham, Mims) is going to go. 

They might be able to do a little bit shorter jump if they like someone in the Fautanu/Guyton/Morgan group as an OT. That’s probably very manageable from 36, actually. 

Honestly, I would rather try to use Payne or Allen to move up if that is the plan. Everyone has preached how valuable it is to have a young QB with potential and how line prospects aren't more important than the QB position. Seemingly trading away the only QB we have on the roster for the possibility of getting the 4th or 5th best tackle prospect doesn't interest me.

At this point, the best middle ground I think fans can hope for is whatever QB the team prefers at 2 and then BPA after that. If any of the top T/G/C prospects are near the top, I hope they would get additional value, but there is an a lot of really talented players in the second round range.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly, I would rather try to use Payne or Allen to move up if that is the plan. Everyone has preached how valuable it is to have a young QB with potential and how line prospects aren't more important than the QB position. Seemingly trading away the only QB we have on the roster for the possibility of getting the 4th or 5th best tackle prospect doesn't interest me.

I went ahead and bolded the word I think is key here. “A” young QB, which is notably singular. Having two young QBs is often worse than having one. As soon as they draft Maye/Daniels, Howell’s utility to the franchise is reduced to minimal.

And given the portion of the fan base who will continue to howl for him, it could easily be argued that he has negative utility to the franchise. Having another option is not a good thing — the last thing a young developing QB needs is distraction and dissension in the ranks. 

To me, the idea of preferring to trade two of the better players on the roster rather than the backup QB is somewhat baffling. If you want to trade Allen because of the contract/timeline/potential return, that’s cool with me — but I’m not sure what that has to do with Howell. 

If we could use Howell and perhaps pick 99 to turn Kingsley Suamataia (or whomever you think they could get at 36) into JC Latham (or another OT they could land in the late teens), that seems like a no-brainer. You then replace Howell with an actual veteran mentor using the virtually unlimited cap space, and the team is better off on every front.

• Like 1

The damned salary cap increase really watered down the top end of FA. 

As it always seems to, having a trillion dollars in cap space is probably going to turn out to be pretty disappointing.

Thought this was an interesting article from the 2023 offseason (in other words, prior to last year) on Kam Curl. 

https://www.pff.com/news/why-kamren-curl-is-the-washington-commanders-most-important-defensive-player

This sort of sums up why I have a hard time bailing on these secondary guys just because they were admittedly awful as a group last year. Kam Curl has been a genuinely very good player ever since we drafted him. Last year was brutal, but…I think it’s reasonable to wager on these guys returning to form now that they’re going to be under the guidance of legitimately excellent secondary coaches.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Thought this was an interesting article from the 2023 offseason (in other words, prior to last year) on Kam Curl. 

https://www.pff.com/news/why-kamren-curl-is-the-washington-commanders-most-important-defensive-player

This sort of sums up why I have a hard time bailing on these secondary guys just because they were admittedly awful as a group last year. Kam Curl has been a genuinely very good player ever since we drafted him. Last year was brutal, but…I think it’s reasonable to wager on these guys returning to form now that they’re going to be under the guidance of legitimately excellent secondary coaches.

Agreed.  I really don't like the thinking of well there are other guys we can sign instead.  This just reminds me of the past.  Keep our guys.  Quit looking for the shinier toy you don't have when you got one that works.  It would be one thing if we are in a cap crunch, but this year, there is no reason at all not to keep good players.

• Like 1