Divisional Round: (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ (3) Detroit Lions Sunday 3pm

Louis Friend

Who ya got?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Detroit Lions
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1 minute ago, nagahide13 said:

Going for two is a 55% chance and kicking the XP is a 95% chance. If you need two 2 pointers at 55%, mathwise that equals out to 110%. You telling me you're not taking 110% on 4 points over 95% on 1 point. Math harder my math friends. Yes, that math is right.

Not really sure what you're going for here.

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Because one is trying to win, the other is playing for OT, which favors the home team.

I just don’t understand the point of going for it there and not waiting until converting the 2 pt conversion would actually give you the lead 

Just now, Pats#1 said:

I just don’t understand the point of going for it there and not waiting until converting the 2 pt conversion would actually give you the lead 

Because waiting ends the game if you miss. Missing it on the first one doesn't end the game.

• Like 2

Just now, Pats#1 said:

There's not much to it. Coin flip on the two point conversion and if you get it the first time, you kick the XP to take the lead on the second. 

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I need someone to help me out here.

The graphic said that the Bucs had 1 timeout remaining. The Lions knelt the ball three times. Had the Bucs used their timeout, there would have been ~25 seconds left on 4th down with a stopped clock.

... right?

Bowles conceded and it was all class. 

• Like 2

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Because waiting ends the game if you miss. Missing it on the first one doesn't end the game.

But you said they were playing to win, not go to OT…missing the first guarantees you at the very best you go to OT, something this tactic is trying to avoid, and puts immense pressure on your offense. 

1 minute ago, Pats#1 said:

So, if you go for 2 the first time, if you get it, the result is the same. The next time you kick the XP and win. If you don't get it, you have a second chance to try.

If you flip the order, kick the XP the first time, the later 2 point try is straight up get it you win, fail it you lose.

If it's a 50/50 chance to get a 2 point conversion (it's actually a bit higher, but for ease of math, we'll say it is), your second scenario is a straight 50/50. Win 50% of the time, lose 50% of the time. That first scenario however is win 50% of the time (if you convert the 2 point try), go to OT 25% of the time (if you fail the first but convert the second), lose 25% of the time (if you fail both.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I need someone to help me out here.

The graphic said that the Bucs had 1 timeout remaining. The Lions knelt the ball three times. Had the Bucs used their timeout, there would have been ~25 seconds left on 4th down with a stopped clock.

... right?

You saw the punt and INT right? Detroit got the ball back inside of 2 minutes. I want to say with 1 min 45 seconds left. They coulda killed the game-clock + about 40 seconds.