90th Academy Awards

RamRod

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Is The Shape of Water any good? It looks interesting but is it really the movie of the year?? This, along w/ the host, is one of the main reasons I even forgot this was on this past weekend. They dont' really seem to give the award for best movie to the actual best movie. I think Ben Shapiro (not to introduce politics so please don't make that a focal point) expressed thoughts and patterns very similar to what I've seen lately and I agree w/ him. Seems like Hollywood has a different agenda rather than actually give awards to movies that deserve it.

I have only seen half of the best picture nominated films so far but Water is definitely deserving of the award. The degree of difficulty on what they pulled off was so high. This could have gone hilariously wrong in so many ways but they made a love story between a deaf woman and a fish creature work. And the B story was interesting, it created good conflict. It wasn't the most entertaining watch ever, but it was very well done. The score, cinematography paired with being a period piece, with elements of international film and science fiction all came together where the film still felt grounded. That's not easy to do! 

I think if you're calling for an agenda there were plenty of noms that would have supported narratives that were being called for leading up. Although GDT is a POC, that was not a narrative that helped float this movie. If anything, it was so weird in the obvious ways that it had the most noise to fight against to win. I think that's what makes me so happy this one won because as much as the social impact Get Out, Lady Bird, and CMBYN had, I just want to make sure I still live in a world where something can be seen as superior artistically despite not having the same social impact. I think this year we achieved the perfect balance. Directors of different backgrounds got movies backed that told stories that weren't compromised and were recognized for it and art that wasn't as socially focused can still compete.

At the end of the day we can all rejoice that The Post didn't win haha :)

17 hours ago, panther dude said:

I have only seen half of the best picture nominated films so far but Water is definitely deserving of the award. The degree of difficulty on what they pulled off was so high. This could have gone hilariously wrong in so many ways but they made a love story between a deaf woman and a fish creature work. And the B story was interesting, it created good conflict. It wasn't the most entertaining watch ever, but it was very well done. The score, cinematography paired with being a period piece, with elements of international film and science fiction all came together where the film still felt grounded. That's not easy to do! 

I think if you're calling for an agenda there were plenty of noms that would have supported narratives that were being called for leading up. Although GDT is a POC, that was not a narrative that helped float this movie. If anything, it was so weird in the obvious ways that it had the most noise to fight against to win. I think that's what makes me so happy this one won because as much as the social impact Get Out, Lady Bird, and CMBYN had, I just want to make sure I still live in a world where something can be seen as superior artistically despite not having the same social impact. I think this year we achieved the perfect balance. Directors of different backgrounds got movies backed that told stories that weren't compromised and were recognized for it and art that wasn't as socially focused can still compete.

At the end of the day we can all rejoice that The Post didn't win haha :)

Thank you for your input. I like how you described the movie and while I agree that indie, artsy flicks need to be considered also, it's hard for me to get behind. Honestly, I thought Get Out would run away w/ it for obvious reasons just like Dunkirk never stood a chance for obvious reasons.

I am relieved none of the "socially impact" movies won b/c I don't want people to start focusing their efforts there. I watch movies to be entertained. If a message is sprinkled in, great. A harmonious coexistence of the two would be tough to do. I thought Get Out did a good job of it. The movie itself was kinda overrated but it was good.

I have not seen The Post but I'm not behind anything Streep does these days so I do agree :) lol

Best Picture Nominees:

• The Shape of Water
  • Call Me By Your Name
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Post
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Dunkirk was the only one that got me into theaters, and the only other one I'm really itching to see is Three Billboards.  Some mild interest in Darkest Hour, Get Out, and Lady Bird, but no immediate plans to watch them any time soon.  Honestly, feels like a pretty weak year.  4 of the 9 noms I really have no intention of ever watching.

23 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Best Picture Nominees:

• The Shape of Water
  • Call Me By Your Name
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Post
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Dunkirk was the only one that got me into theaters, and the only other one I'm really itching to see is Three Billboards.  Some mild interest in Darkest Hour, Get Out, and Lady Bird, but no immediate plans to watch them any time soon.  Honestly, feels like a pretty weak year.  4 of the 9 noms I really have no intention of ever watching.

Get Out was good and I really want to see Dunkirk. I am kind of surprised I haven't yet, TBH. Would you agree it's worth seeing?

I want to see Three Billboards also. I'm honestly w/ you though that everything seems pretty weak. There are a couple of these I have absolutely 0 interest in seeing and if I'm ever around them and they're displayed somewhere, I'll remove myself lol.

3 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Get Out was good and I really want to see Dunkirk. I am kind of surprised I haven't yet, TBH. Would you agree it's worth seeing?

I want to see Three Billboards also. I'm honestly w/ you though that everything seems pretty weak. There are a couple of these I have absolutely 0 interest in seeing and if I'm ever around them and they're displayed somewhere, I'll remove myself lol.

Dunkirk visually really shined on the big screen, haven't seen it on just a TV yet.  It was one of those movies I came out of and liked, but then proceeded to like it more and more over the next couple of days while I thought about it.

15 minutes ago, August4th said:

maybe these poor ratings will force the way the academy goes about voting for films.. maybe they'll start expanding to more popular films(Get Out getting love is a start) also they should cut this down to 2.5 hrs

They did it for a couple years (Avatar, District 9, Up, Toy Story 3, Inception), and now it's course corrected to just include more Oscar bait films.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

They did it for a couple years (Avatar, District 9, Up, Toy Story 3, Inception), and now it's course corrected to just include more Oscar bait films.

yeah.. every year they always nominate 1 or 2 "Oscar bait" films no one really cared about ..maybe they should of cut off PT and darkest hour for a 'Logan' or 'wonder woman' ( I loved phantom thread but I know most people are not turning to the oscars for that film lol)

also the way the studios roll out these film might be hurting ratings... a lot of people can't even see half these films in theater with the limit release strategy

33 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Or maybe if they want more ratings they shouldn't piss off an entire half of the country every three minutes. 

I find it to be this black and white also. When you pander to one audience, you completely alienate another. Personally, I don't get into that stuff too much and I still had no desire to watch and neither did my wife who used to LOVE that stuff. I don't need Hollywood to tell me how to think, I need them to entertain me.... you know, the skill we pay them for??..... Yeah, pretty simple.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Dunkirk visually really shined on the big screen, haven't seen it on just a TV yet.  It was one of those movies I came out of and liked, but then proceeded to like it more and more over the next couple of days while I thought about it.

Well, I hope my 70" and decent stereo can do it justice when I opt to watch it lol.

Thanks for the opinion.

Archived