Dallas retaining HC Mike McCarthy

Forge

48 minutes ago, Totty said:

Buy why? 

I'm not even trying to be funny.  There's so many better options.  Jerry is something else. 

He is 42-25. McCarthy is a good coach. Honestly, his resume is on par with Tomlin and Payton. This isn't like Jason Garrett, who is good every other year. Anyway as I said earlier, they need to move off of Dan Quinn. The Shanahan guys eat him for lunch and chances are you will have to face one of them if you want to advance in the post-season. 

• Like 2

This is the right move, IMO.

I’m not sure what the issue is with the Cowboys. It’s not acquisition of talent. Everything (offense, defense, QB play, coaching) seems to fall apart as soon as you get to the postseason, but they look really good all other times. They need a tweak, but I’m not sure what to tweak to get the wheels rolling. 

I don’t think all that highly of McCarthy, but I’m not sure who you’re getting that’s going to be a drastic improvement. I’m not holding out for Belichick or Johnson.

This definitely feels like one of those, "scared money don't make money" type decisions.  But it's understandable i guess.  You could do a lot worse than consistent division title caliber regular seasons that at least give you a good shot in the playoffs to try to capitalize on.  If you want to win in the playoffs, first, you've gotta make the playoffs.  But we've also seen enough of this combo to wonder if Dak/McCarthy will ever get over the hump together.

For all his meddling and flak he catches for his involvement, at least you certainly can't accuse Jerry of being impatient or impulsive with coaches like this.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

tomlin would have been fired 5+ years ago then.

Some owners are very patient, Jerry is one of those

I doubt this has anything to do with patience, this smells of Jerry being a cheap *** and not wanting to open up the check book for a top coach.

5 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Maybe this is a surprise but Jason Garrett was the head coach for 9 years before him so Jerry Jones is once again very patient with the head coach....

Jerry Jones has never and will never admit to anything being a mistake. Which is why he will always waste his time trying to prove, I was right. 

Jerry is obsessed with Yes Men. It's the ultimate reason it didn't work out with Jimmy, didn't work out with Bill and he had no problem wasting 9 years with Jason Garrett. 

Should be fun listening week in week out about McCarthy being a lame duck HC, HC without an extension,  HC who will be fired without a Post season run. All starting in TC! 🍿🍿🍿

Absolutely knocked out the park. 12-5 the last 3 years. They’re so close to breaking thru. I’m glad Jerry didn’t listen to outside voice. Dak just threw for 400+ in the playoffs and absolutely showed he has what it takes. They showed toughness and mental fortitude. Looking forward to another phenomenal season by the Cowboys. Think they win 13-15 games next year, defense gets better with another year too. Cowboys are primed to take it all next year. They’ll reap the fruits of their labor next year mark my words. They do need another RB though.. 

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

Absolutely. Thank you for pointing that out. How come Tomlin gets no hate? Another absolute legend. Tomlin has done so much for Pittsburg, I’m surprised he resigning or being fired has been questioned. That man has never ever been below .500 no matter the roster. You keep those guys and you hang on to them! Only way you let go if he’s pried off your dead cold hands.. 

11 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Cowboys play AFC North next year (and NFC South). Host Detroit and Houston, travel to San Francisco.

Why? How does the NFL determine this? This will be three in a row and five of the last six meetings @Dallas. So dumb.

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Absolutely knocked out the park. 12-5 the last 3 years. They’re so close to breaking thru. I’m glad Jerry didn’t listen to outside voice. Dak just threw for 400+ in the playoffs and absolutely showed he has what it takes. They showed toughness and mental fortitude. Looking forward to another phenomenal season by the Cowboys. Think they win 13-15 games next year, defense gets better with another year too. Cowboys are primed to take it all next year. They’ll reap the fruits of their labor next year mark my words. They do need another RB though.. 

Is this post sarcasm? It's hard to tell. Regardless, 217 of his 403 yards and 2 of his 3 TDs came after Green Bay went up 48-16. He didn't show anything except that we need to come up with a "Stat Padford" moniker for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Why? How does the NFL determine this? This will be three in a row and five of the last six meetings @Dallas. So dumb.

Is this post sarcasm? It's hard to tell. Regardless, 217 of his 403 yards and 2 of his 3 TDs came after Green Bay went up 48-16. He didn't show anything except that we need to come up with a "Stat Padford" moniker for him.

400 is 400. If he had the packers defense he would have won… 

3 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Jerry Jones Alt has been found.

Jerry is like lets run it back lol. I dont think nobody should be shocked by this. Jerry kept bringing back Jason Garrett. 

I keep telling yall to not take the Cowboys seriously as long as Jerry is running the show. Yes they can be good enough in the regular season and even win a playoff game. But if you think they will ever be the same 90s teams that went to the NFCCG and the Superbowl and win then thats where the delusional is. 

Alot of poverty teams will take 10-12 wins every season. And this is where I get on the Steelers now. The standard for the Steelers is not to manage to having a winning season every year. Its to compete and win Superbowls. The Steelers arent that anymore as they have the longest playoff win drought in the NFL. So if the standard for the Cowboys is to win and compete for Superbowls then they arent even close to living up to those standards and bringing back McCarthy further shows that.

I dont want to hear no talk next season about the Cowboys finally fixing to get over the hump. That last season was the past blah blah blah. Be happy if the team is winning games and if they are finally beating good teams on the road but dont even mention about a Superbowl until we see them get past the divisional round of the playoffs. If they do that then we can have a serious conversation about the Cowboys and a Superbowl. 

Edited by stl4life07

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Steelers arent that anymore as they have the longest playoff win drought in the NFL. 

[incorrect buzzer sound]

Sorry friend, we were actually looking for: Miami Dolphins (6 losses, 23 seasons).

12 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I dont want to hear no talk next season about the Cowboys finally fixing to get over the hump. That last season was the past blah blah blah. Be happy if the team is winning games and if they are finally beating good teams on the road but dont even mention about a Superbowl until we see them get past the divisional round of the playoffs. If they do that then we can have a serious conversation about the Cowboys and a Superbowl. 

I actually agree with this, ironically. It's fair to not take them 100% seriously as a SB contender, given lack of postseason success.

But imo probability suggests the guys who are winning 12 games every year are probably a decent bet on any given year, even if the roulette wheel has already hit black 3x in a row.

• Like 1