Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like his value is better at 25-28 (the Cards pick is what I would target), but Miami and Philly would take them at their natural picks so you need to believe in him (I do) to pick him at 20. 

I think if you don’t believe in him, this becomes where you “manipulate” the board by moving to 27 by getting Arizona’s 3rd. Then use 51 and 98 to move up in the second. Take a WR or DB in round 1, and take Frazier (I consider him the Barton consolation prize). 

Just some tidbits I’ve heard:

-Miami looking for a center is overrated. They might wait to take one and are really open to Williams returning when he’s ready. They are more likely to move up for Fuaga or Fashanu than staying out for a C. 
-Philly is more interested in a LG than a C, so they might not take IOL high. Supposedly they are a team to watch moving up for Mitchell, DeJean, or Arnold. 
-KC moving up for a OT would not surprise anyone and if Fashanu made it to 20 they will start calling everyone. They prefer the guy who can start over a developmental guy for LT, and they might double dip at OT and possibly put James on the block at the end of the year. 
-Don’t be shocked if LV moves back into the late first. Depending how the board falls they are eyeing Penix and a OT in the first. 

This is what I lean towards. I'm greedy and I don't think Barton is "2 players better". Meaning, getting that 2nd/3rd rated OC and another player due to a trade down. I don't disagree if you are staying at #20 and are drafting an OC there no questions asked, it has to be Barton. 

*Interesting tidbits. 

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Man if you’re not sold on Graham Barton I recommend listening to his interview on Daniel Jeremiah/Bucky Brooks podcast from a few days ago. Everything above the neck is A+++ from him. 

I didn't say that I wasn't sold on him, and I wouldn't be upset by drafting Barton; my point is, for the upcoming season, I think we'd get better 'value' with Fuaga/Mims at RT, and either JPJ/Frazier in the 2nd, but honestly, I'm pretty high on Nourzad, and if we grab him with our 3.98 pick, that leaves our 2.51 + 3.84 for WR and CB, or DL. 

I also like Nourzad as a Center body build (6'3 1/8" 317lbs), a bit better than Barton. He also has longer arms, and bigger hands, but it's fairly negligible.  Nourzad is thick/solid, he's strong in the run game, and the dude is crazy intelligent, having earned a West Point appointment, though declining, and going to Cornell instead, being All Academic Ivy League, with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering--again, from an Ivy League school.  Got his MBA via Penn State, and started all 13 games at Center.  My point being, for Arthur Smith's system, Nourzad is about as ideal Center as you get, and rather than spending 1.20, we spend 3.98, instead.  He's also versatile, like Barton, having played Tackle and Guard at the collegiate level, as well.  

Yes, Barton is also highly intelligent; you don't graduate from Duke and not be.  Duke is on par with Ivy League schools, academically.  So yes, I can appreciate Barton 'above the neck' as well, but having started just 5 games at Center, 3 years ago, he's likely going to need a bit more 'prep' to be starter ready, though I could be wrong. But with more, and more recent experience at Center, I think Nourzad may have the upper hand, this season.  Barton has a lot more upside, and is younger, so that's promising, I admit.

And this isn't me saying that Nourzad is better--it's not what I'm saying, at all.  I'm saying he makes a better fit for us, for this season, and I don't think there is a 2-3 round difference between the two, tbh.

Again, not gonna be upset, or disappointed if Barton is ultimately selected at 1.20.  I just feel it's not the best use of draft capital, is all.  I'd feel much better about it if we could trade down, pick up an extra Day 2 pick in the process.

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

I didn't say that I wasn't sold on him, and I wouldn't be upset by drafting Barton; my point is, for the upcoming season, I think we'd get better 'value' with Fuaga/Mims at RT, and either JPJ/Frazier in the 2nd, but honestly, I'm pretty high on Nourzad, and if we grab him with our 3.98 pick, that leaves our 2.51 + 3.84 for WR and CB, or DL. 

I also like Nourzad as a Center body build (6'3 1/8" 317lbs), a bit better than Barton. He also has longer arms, and bigger hands, but it's fairly negligible.  Nourzad is thick/solid, he's strong in the run game, and the dude is crazy intelligent, having earned a West Point offer, though declining, and going to Cornell instead, being All Academic Ivy League, with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering--again, from an Ivy League school.  Got his MBA via Penn State, and started all 13 games at Center.  My point being, for Arthur Smith's system, Nourzad is about as ideal Center as you get, and rather than spending 1.20, we spend 3.98, instead.  He's also versatile, like Barton, having played Tackle and Guard at the collegiate level, as well.  

Yes, Barton is also highly intelligent; you don't graduate from Duke and not be.  Duke is on par with Ivy League schools, academically.  So yes, I can appreciate Barton 'above the neck' as well, but having started just 5 games at Center, 3 years ago, he's likely going to need a bit more 'prep' to be starter ready, though I could be wrong. But with more, and more recent experience at Center, I think Nourzad may have the upper hand, this season.  Barton has a lot more upside, and is younger, so that's promising, I admit.

And this isn't me saying that Nourzad is better--it's not what I'm saying, at all.  I'm saying he makes a better fit for us, for this season, and I don't think there is a 2-3 round difference between the two, tbh.

Again, not gonna be upset, or disappointed if Barton is ultimately selected at 1.20.  I just feel it's not the best use of draft capital, is all.  I'd feel much better about it if we could trade down, pick up an extra Day 2 pick in the process.

FWIW my comment wasn't solely directed at you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

FWIW my comment wasn't solely directed at you. 

Ah, okay...but hopefully, you at least see where I'm coming from; I'm just looking at it a bit differently, is all.

Also, even though I'm okay with a front line of  Moore/Seumalo/Barton/Daniels/Jones, I'd prefer a Jones/Seumalo/Nourzad/Daniels/Mims or Fuaga, and feel that would serve us better in 2024.

So, assuming we grab a 3T/4T/5T, after Rd 1, who do you guys like best, IRT Draft position??  List is not all-inclusive but here are some of them...feel free to add a name not listed, of course....

Day 2 guys

Ruke Orhohoro

Braden Fiske

Kris Jenkins

Maason Smith

Day 3 guys

Justin Eboigbe

Logan Lee

Jaden Crumedy

Zion Logue

Michael Hall Jr.

Gabe Hall

Khristian Boyd

Tyler Davis

I'm thinking Logan Lee or Gabe Hall.  Lee would need to add 15-20 lbs, and hopefully, wouldn't end up being another Leal.  Ruke would be ideal, but not sure about investing an early pick....

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

So, assuming we grab a 3T/4T/5T, after Rd 1, who do you guys like best, IRT Draft position??  List is not all-inclusive but here are some of them...feel free to add a name not listed, of course....

Day 2 guys

Ruke Orhohoro

Braden Fiske

Kris Jenkins

Maason Smith

Day 3 guys

Justin Eboigbe

Logan Lee

Jaden Crumedy

Zion Logue

Michael Hall Jr.

Gabe Hall

Khristian Boyd

Tyler Davis

I'm thinking Logan Lee or Gabe Hall.  Lee would need to add 15-20 lbs, and hopefully, wouldn't end up being another Leal.  Ruke would be ideal, but not sure about investing an early pick....

McKinley Jackson as a 0T and move Benton to 5T. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

That wouldn't upset me, assuming we have a plan for the other side, for next year.  I'm not thrilled with how NT has been addressed as of late; it would be nice to have a 2-down O-tech type, but I understand that this also eats up a roster spot for a 2-down player, so maybe not the most efficient allocation of resources.

But if that's the case, then maybe we should consider going back to a Base 4-3 Defense, IDK...

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

That wouldn't upset me, assuming we have a plan for the other side, for next year.  I'm not thrilled with how NT has been addressed as of late; it would be nice to have a 2-down O-tech type, but I understand that this also eats up a roster spot for a 2-down player, so maybe not the most efficient allocation of resources.

But if that's the case, then maybe we should consider going back to a Base 4-3 Defense, IDK...

It would be a crime to go back to a 4-3 base with the edge players we have. 

18 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Benton would be a bad 5 tech.  They way the Steeler current defense is set up the base is 2 DL so  a disruptive 1 tech serves them well and leave Benson at 3 tech.  While Cam is a 5 tech he is playing more 4 than 5 in alignment

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Benton would be a bad 5 tech.  They way the Steeler current defense is set up the base is 2 DL so  a disruptive 1 tech serves them well and leave Benson at 3 tech.  While Cam is a 5 tech he is playing more 4 than 5 in alignment

That works too! 😆

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Hopefully not the Steelers.  He is a very good fit for A. Smith and a pure X receiver.

From what I read the biggest negative is his diabetes, I’d love to have him as long as he can control it. Seems he had some problems in college 

18 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

From what I read the biggest negative is his diabetes, I’d love to have him as long as he can control it. Seems he had some problems in college 

As a 40+ year diabetic that played sports regularly,  I can say this shouldn't be an issue. If he had issues with control,  I have to assume it was due to marurity (i.e. partying and eating crap...). There's too much technology and new medicines nowadays for this to be an issue. But, he must be committed. Maybe that's the concern.