Steelers 2024 NFL Draft Prospects

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Leggett would be a serious option in the 2nd.  Fits A. Smith's offense to a T.

Legette’s profile scares the crap out of me. The list of WRs who don’t break out until they are 23 y/o super seniors and become successful in the NFL is so small. It’s why I have cooled on Pearsall as well.

• Like 1

Okay, a little 'connecting the dots' here, that's leading me to ask here, is how RB Will Shipley might fit into Arthur Smith's offense??  Smith attended the Clemson Pro Day, with Shipley being the only draftable-graded offensive player for Clemson coming into this year's draft.  Tomlin also met with Shipley at the Combine.

Now, they also have a Center in Will Putnam (started last 2 seasons at Center, 2 previous seasons at RG), who was one of the 4 players (along with Will Shipley, as well), who were invited to dinner the night before the Pro Day.  The other two being Wiggins and Trotter, but they are obviously Defensive players...

Now, I know that doesn't mean that any of them will be drafted, but pretty interesting, nonetheless, especially considering that Arthur Smith only went to a handful of Pro Days, and either he, or Tomlin, felt it important enough to attend...

...Of course, then there are smokescreens, but Will Putnam is not likely high on anyone's draft board, which leaves, well, Shipley...

Thoughts??

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Legette’s profile scares the crap out of me. The list of WRs who don’t break out until they are 23 y/o super seniors and become successful in the NFL is so small. It’s why I have cooled on Pearsall as well.

Scares me some, too, if looking at him in the 1st.  If he falls to 51, then okay, I can live with that.  Essentially, it depends on where either are drafted.  If Pearsall or Leggette are selected in the 2nd, then that's not so worrisome...but 1st Rd??

And yeah, I know, Mims only started 8 games, but he's a physical freak of nature, and young, at just 21.5 YO--not the case with Leggette or Pearsall, being 23...

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This kind of thing is also why I was very low on Pickett coming into the NFL. In most other years, he would have played his 4 years and been a late round QB drafted at BEST. Because of COVID, he got an extra year of eligibility and only then did he show anything special.

It looks like a similar situation for Legette. In most scenarios, no one sees his breakout year. How many players would breakout like this if they were allowed to be the 5th year player amongst mostly less then 4th year players?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

This kind of thing is also why I was very low on Pickett coming into the NFL. In most other years, he would have played his 4 years and been a late round QB drafted at BEST. Because of COVID, he got an extra year of eligibility and only then did he show anything special.

It looks like a similar situation for Legette. In most scenarios, no one sees his breakout year. How many players would breakout like this if they were allowed to be the 5th year player amongst mostly less then 4th year players?

Great point with the Covid year. With Legette you can even add more context in that the way he broke out made it look like he was winning by just being a bit more physically developed than everyone else on the field. Not a lot of refinement to his game. 

• Like 1

Boy, it sure feels like the 'tide' is overwhelmingly turning to Barton being our pick at 1.20.  I wouldn't be 'upset' per se, but man, I feel like we'd be not making the best pick for the upcoming season.  I'd even rather trade our 2nd Rd pick plus a future 3rd or 4th, for Aiyuk, if I'm being honest, and as I've mentioned ad nauseum, I'm not 100% on board with tradin current year's draft picks for Aiyuk, for darn sure, not a 1st, but doubt that Khan would entertain that.

In order, if I had my druthers, for our 1st Rd pick, this is what I'd prefer:

1. Fuaga at 1.20

2. Mims at 1.20

3. Trade up for Fuaga

4. Fautanu (as an OT)

5. Latham

6. Brian Thomas Jr.

7. Trade down to 1.31 + future 2nd for Aiyuk, then draft Frazier or JPJ

8. Barton

Those are the most likely options, I believe...I'm not buying the 'trade up to 12 for Mitchell' rumor that's going around, but put that at #9, if it's true...(boy do I hope that's not true...)

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Man if you’re not sold on Graham Barton I recommend listening to his interview on Daniel Jeremiah/Bucky Brooks podcast from a few days ago. Everything above the neck is A+++ from him. 

I'm sold too.  Was getting there long before that but that sold me.  And he really sounded like and talked like a guy who was over being out at LT but did what was right for the team, meaning he put team over self and was still that good.  That's the kind of guy you would really want on your team.

• Like 1

If we're talking about Barton at OC, it just seems like you are drafting more on potential. This isn't to say he can't do it or hasn't done it but there are full time OCs that dominated the position in this draft. Don't get too cute. I'd rather trade down and nab a "been there, done that" type player (i.e Frazier, JPJ, SVP). All signs point to these guys being darn good OCs. So by drafting Barton as an OC, what's the advantage? Versatility? Even with that, he's drafted as an OC and an OG or an OT goes down and he is the supposed fill in. Who starts at OC then? And is that backup any better than the OG/OT backup?  IDK, maybe I'm over thinking it. 

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

If we're talking about Barton at OC, it just seems like you are drafting more on potential. This isn't to say he can't do it or hasn't done it but there are full time OCs that dominated the position in this draft. Don't get too cute. I'd rather trade down and nab a "been there, done that" type player (i.e Frazier, JPJ, SVP). All signs point to these guys being darn good OCs. So by drafting Barton as an OC, what's the advantage? Versatility? Even with that, he's drafted as an OC and an OG or an OT goes down and he is the supposed fill in. Who starts at OC then? And is that backup any better than the OG/OT backup?  IDK, maybe I'm over thinking it. 

I would say you are overthinking it.  If you put him at a position you leave him there, you don't move him around.  SO the second half is moot IMO.

But let's go to the what makes him better.  He's more athletic, has better movement, gets to the second level better, has a better pass block set, anchors better, drives better than any of the other guys.  Like was said Barton came to Duke as a C, played there his freshman year, reportedly still practiced there, and only moved because Duke wanted to have their best player out at LT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would say you are overthinking it.  If you put him at a position you leave him there, you don't move him around.  SO the second half is moot IMO.

But let's go to the what makes him better.  He's more athletic, has better movement, gets to the second level better, has a better pass block set, anchors better, drives better than any of the other guys.  Like was said Barton came to Duke as a C, played there his freshman year, reportedly still practiced there, and only moved because Duke wanted to have their best player out at LT.

So, the question is...is he take at #20/than trade down and/or take another OC at #51 better? That's the difficulty I'm having. 

12 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

So, the question is...is he take at #20/than trade down and/or take another OC at #51 better? That's the difficulty I'm having. 

I feel like his value is better at 25-28 (the Cards pick is what I would target), but Miami and Philly would take them at their natural picks so you need to believe in him (I do) to pick him at 20. 

I think if you don’t believe in him, this becomes where you “manipulate” the board by moving to 27 by getting Arizona’s 3rd. Then use 51 and 98 to move up in the second. Take a WR or DB in round 1, and take Frazier (I consider him the Barton consolation prize). 

Just some tidbits I’ve heard:

-Miami looking for a center is overrated. They might wait to take one and are really open to Williams returning when he’s ready. They are more likely to move up for Fuaga or Fashanu than staying out for a C. 
-Philly is more interested in a LG than a C, so they might not take IOL high. Supposedly they are a team to watch moving up for Mitchell, DeJean, or Arnold. 
-KC moving up for a OT would not surprise anyone and if Fashanu made it to 20 they will start calling everyone. They prefer the guy who can start over a developmental guy for LT, and they might double dip at OT and possibly put James on the block at the end of the year. 
-Don’t be shocked if LV moves back into the late first. Depending how the board falls they are eyeing Penix and a OT in the first. 

Teams always talk about multiple draft resets in a round. Like a “we have an idea who, but maybe not the team”. This year seems set. Williams, Daniels, Maye, Harrison, Nabors, Odunze, Alt is the first 7 in order. The only shocker would be if Minny moves to 4 for McCarthy which would push Odunze to 8. So that’s a spot the draft “restarts.”

The other one is us. That’s why so many teams are eyeing a trade “to 20”. I know Omar Khan played it off as “that’s where it always happens” but that’s not true. Historically 25 is where it “resets” with teams in the early 3rd wanting to move up. 

In this draft 1-7 is where the blue chippers are. 8-19 are the 1st round guys. 20-80 are the second rounders. So we do hold cards here at 20 if we really wanted. Some teams are thinking if they can have one guy they want at 20-80 that’s better than two guys from a list you just like. I rather have 3 shots in that area if we can get it. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2