49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've consistently said it's a position that's upgradeable, but Barry became an easy target for a few reasons.

(1) Our defense hasn't been good for stretches under him. This year especially.

(2) Packers fans are conditioned to blame ANYONE but the QB for failings and the DC is ALWAYS the easiest scapegoat. Every DC receives the wrath of our fanbase regardless of how they're actually doing.

(3) He's a quiet personality. A lot of fans want mic'd up DCs

But we really should critically examine how he did relative to the talent he had on the field, especially in the secondary. I think he could have done even MORE with the front 7 talent to mask it, however. But the failings from last night were individual DB failings more than anything else. We were getting pretty consistent pressure. The front 7 created opportunities for our DBs and they literally and figuratively dropped the ball in this one.

Rasul was absolutely a success story with him, but lets say he has a great secondary, what is he going to do with it? He's turned Ja from Ja Money to Ja Small Bills, we all thought Savage was the next coming of Nick Collins under Pettine, not probably 90% of the fan base will celebrate if he signs elsewhere, Stokes wasn't able to maintain his rookie dominance. 

Legit question, Gute signs a nice vet safety, takes a corner round 1, a safety day 2 and some fliers on day 3. Based on past performances of our roster, what makes you think Barry and our staff turn them into players?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R T said:

This is next level stupid. 

I agree that it’s dumb, or at least an overeaction but the guy is going to feel plenty of heat from fans scapegoating him for this loss and he played a big part in it.  He’s a rookie but he’s a pro and missed a lot of FGs and PATs that have to be routine at this level  Moody for the 9ers is also a rook who has missed some but when our defense held them to a 52 yd fg after a turnover, he came through. Anders will have to endure an offseason of a lot of teeth gnashing, but he will also need to be prepared for some competition because he wasn’t good enough this whole season. He’d better mentally be equipped for that. 

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rasul was absolutely a success story with him, but lets say he has a great secondary, what is he going to do with it? He's turned Ja from Ja Money to Ja Small Bills, we all thought Savage was the next coming of Nick Collins under Pettine, not probably 90% of the fan base will celebrate if he signs elsewhere, Stokes wasn't able to maintain his rookie dominance. 

Legit question, Gute signs a nice vet safety, takes a corner round 1, a safety day 2 and some fliers on day 3. Based on past performances of our roster, what makes you think Barry and our staff turn them into players?

I agree with the observation that our DBs don't seem to make as many plays as they should. However, I'm not convinced that is Barry's fault. I'm suspicious he's actually covered up bad talent there. 

I'm not at all convinced that Savage and Stokes development is on Barry any more than it's on them. Especially the latter. I'm very open to the idea that Savage was misused, however.

I definitely don't blame anything that happened with Jaire on Barry. Not a big fan of Jaire. I'm not sure why he gets such a pass on here. He's living off past performance (he had success under Barry, too, and I doubt Barry has done anything to reduce his effectiveness).

I don't trust many people's opinions of Barry on here because it's so blatantly obvious many many people are not remotely objective. They refuse to acknowledge reality, so it makes anything they say on the topic questionable. 

There's only a handful of people on here who are willing to acknowledge his success when he has it. So when THEY are critical, I listen a lot more to them.

Edited by incognito_man

I have come full circle on LB. Best 2 defenses in the NFL have suffocating LBs and it shows. Hope it is a priority for us to get a MLB. Quay has nothing between the ears and too much between the eyes. 

Safety is a huge need, we had Savage with the dropped pick, missed tackle on Caff, and poor coverage on the Kittle (I know he thought he had help from Johnson). We had Johnson who missed the assignment on the Kittle TD. And we had Owens giving up an easy 1st down, cant remember when. Would love to see 2 new starters at safety next year with Owens and Johnson as depth. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cutting him into an off-season where he can spend it improving would be about the dumbest thing imaginable after riding out the season with him, but this is our fanbase we're talking about. Sign a bet kicker and let them compete. If he loses try to keep him on the PS for a year.

There's virtually zero reason to release him.  The savings are minimal (<850k).  He'll come to camp in a competition.

The more the game sits with me, the more they lost it in the most annoying way possible. I thought GB was going to lose. But I didn’t imagine the defense would play just well enough to hold on for 59 minutes and go toe to toe with them. And I didn’t imagine that it would come down to a 2-minute drill where Love reverts to something bad we really hadn’t seen him do in a while. It doesn’t change how I feel about Love (da future, top 5 NFL QB and Packers HoFer trajectory already) and it doesn’t change how I feel about Barry (please replace him), and yet I am left with a sour taste about how both of their circumstances ended. Barry over performing if you squint, and the offense underperforming in crunch time. 

Bosa laughing and breathing a sigh of relief after the interception has never made me want to see lightning strike a player on the field more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Gotta strike this offseason with all these  WRs, TEs  on rookie contracts.  Hopefully, the math will add up to make some moves.  Can't sit on status quo and hope,  gotta make moves.   A guy like Derrick Henry in Dillons role would do wonders for Love.  Not sure they'd spend the money there but I'd look into it.

Get Van Ness on the TJ Watt juice if he isn't already.    He could make a big jump next year.

Derrick Henry isn't going to be taking an AJ Dillon role.

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I have come full circle on LB. Best 2 defenses in the NFL have suffocating LBs and it shows. Hope it is a priority for us to get a MLB. Quay has nothing between the ears and too much between the eyes. 

Safety is a huge need, we had Savage with the dropped pick, missed tackle on Caff, and poor coverage on the Kittle (I know he thought he had help from Johnson). We had Johnson who missed the assignment on the Kittle TD. And we had Owens giving up an easy 1st down, cant remember when. Would love to see 2 new starters at safety next year with Owens and Johnson as depth. 

Quay was playing fast and physical but had to leave the field for cramping? Dehydration?  I’m not sure but he lost a half step. It’s still admirable that he fought through it and the 9ers are a tough matchup for anyone in the middle. Safeties needed to be rehauled but we are already under invested there except for Savage and Rudy Ford has been out who has had some decent mixed with subpar play. Barry’s defense doesn’t seem to ask much from the safety spot, just keep it in front of you and make the tackle. If we have a new DC we need a clear vision in how they emphasize LB vs. safety in their scheme. 

I've never been less upset after a playoff loss than I was last night. I just really enjoyed the growth of this team over the season. 

MLF deserves massive kudos for bringing that offense along. 

We just outplayed the best team in the NFC, on their field. 

Who had that on their bingo card when we were 3-6? 

• Like 6

You guys certainly were much better than I ever thought your team would be this year. Congrats to that, even though it ended ugly. 

With the growth of your team this year, there is no reason why you guys can't win the division next year. You'll still split with the Vikings, but I think if you guys draft well and dump Barry, I could easily see your team going 12-5 next year. The schedule shouldn't be that difficult for the NFCN, and with Minnesota having questions at QB, Detroit likely to regress and Chicago still existing as a franchise, there is no reason why you guys can't grow.

Not that I'm rooting for you. Just an observation. Congrats on a successful season.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

You guys certainly were much better than I ever thought your team would be this year. Congrats to that, even though it ended ugly. 

With the growth of your team this year, there is no reason why you guys can't win the division next year. You'll still split with the Vikings, but I think if you guys draft well and dump Barry, I could easily see your team going 12-5 next year. The schedule shouldn't be that difficult for the NFCN, and with Minnesota having questions at QB, Detroit likely to regress and Chicago still existing as a franchise, there is no reason why you guys can't grow.

Not that I'm rooting for you. Just an observation. Congrats on a successful season.

Always classy! I appreciate that. 

• Like 1