49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

They could revert to the same OL’ AFCS but Ind might have a defense and mobile QB. Pederson might have Jax playing ball and Hou is a young ascending team. Who knows about Ten but the usually at least play a physical grinding style.  I just think compared to this year’s AFCW and NFCS, we will have some tougher games. 

Conversely, nobody wants to see the Packers on their schedule next year. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Same with NFC west minus the 49ers. Seattle, Arizona, LA, I'd like them on the schedule every year. 

I'm looking forward to playing the 49ers again as well. 

I feel like the NFC West is a bit more competitive than the rest of the AFC South.  San Francisco >>> Houston >> NFC West > AFC South

Arizona likely drafts in the top 4, and probably has Marvin Harrison Jr. to give to Kyler Murray.  Seattle and LA Rams pick 16th and 19th respectively.  Tennessee at 7 probably gets a chance to either continue rebuilding their OL (Joe Alt) or give Will Levis another WR (Malik Nabers) to throw to.  Indianapolis and Jacksonville are picking in the same range as LA Rams and Seattle.

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

They could revert to the same OL’ AFCS but Ind might have a defense and mobile QB. Pederson might have Jax playing ball and Hou is a young ascending team. Who knows about Ten but the usually at least play a physical grinding style.  I just think compared to this year’s AFCW and NFCS, we will have some tougher games. 

Year to year team strengths can be hard to gauge. For all the NFCS weakness this year, the Division sure gave us a run for the money. The AFCS next year? I'll take those matchups....and given the game we just gave SF who's to say we cant handle that division as well? 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like the NFC West is a bit more competitive than the rest of the AFC South.  San Francisco >>> Houston >> NFC West > AFC South

Arizona likely drafts in the top 4, and probably has Marvin Harrison Jr. to give to Kyler Murray.  Seattle and LA Rams pick 16th and 19th respectively.  Tennessee at 7 probably gets a chance to either continue rebuilding their OL (Joe Alt) or give Will Levis another WR (Malik Nabers) to throw to.  Indianapolis and Jacksonville are picking in the same range as LA Rams and Seattle.

Is Seattle ascending or declining? Jacksonville underperformed this year for sure. I think Indy is an ascending team. 

I get your point though. I think my overall thought is in 2024, Packers should be a team favored in the vast majority of the games they play.

12 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'd be fine letting him be the Bellcow and keeping Jones fresh. MLF loves Henry. Hope he's in Gutes ear this offseason.

I think he'd be great in GB, but there's a lot of moving parts to getting FAs to GB.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Is Seattle ascending or declining? Jacksonville underperformed this year for sure. I think Indy is an ascending team. 

I get your point though. I think my overall thought is in 2024, Packers should be a team favored in the vast majority of the games they play.

I'd say neither, although I guess it depends on where they go with the coaching staff this offseason.  Honestly, I feel like Jacksonville overachieved, especially early in the year.  They started out 8-3 and finished 1-5 in their last 6 games.  And it allowed Houston to win the AFC South.  As for Indianapolis, I think if Anthony Richardson makes a big Y2 jump I would agree.  But they're a regression candidate with +3 close wins/losses.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Year to year team strengths can be hard to gauge. For all the NFCS weakness this year, the Division sure gave us a run for the money. The AFCS next year? I'll take those matchups....and given the game we just gave SF who's to say we cant handle that division as well? 

Well, yeah we were a subpar team this year especially early on. It’s impossible to truly know how a team/division will look year to year but I was pretty sure we’d have our share of cupcake this season and I was right. I just overestimated how fast Love and the offense would get up to speed. I don’t think we have the toughest SOS next year but I do think it will be a significant step above this year. I also really hope the Pack is two steps ahead of what we just accomplished. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Seattle will be looking for a QB.  Geno Smith took a step back this year and as mentioned looking for a HC.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd say neither, although I guess it depends on where they go with the coaching staff this offseason.  Honestly, I feel like Jacksonville overachieved, especially early in the year.  They started out 8-3 and finished 1-5 in their last 6 games.  And it allowed Houston to win the AFC South.  As for Indianapolis, I think if Anthony Richardson makes a big Y2 jump I would agree.  But they're a regression candidate with +3 close wins/losses.

I agree but the caveat to Jacksonville was Lawrence was quite beaten up the last six games. I think he may have even missed a game or two, I don't remember. 

I agree on Indy. Not sold on Richardson yet. I thought they would be absolutely terrible this year. They weren't. 

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm thinking that if we're the team we expect to be next year, only SF and Hou should be of any concern. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Won't hurt to bring in competition, but the emotional reactions of wanting to fire everyone who made a mistake is a mistake itself.

But I know our FO is patient. Anders is most likely going to be our kicker this year again. 

Yes, absolutely bring in competition, but my guess is he improves and we stick with him.  Don’t see him shanking massively or anything, usually just a hair to the left or right.  He’ll most likely get more consistent and be a solid kicker in this league for years. 

Even with them massively exceeding expectations, it still stings to lose a playoff game, especially one that close. Like any close loss, regular season or playoffs, you can pinpoint a good 3-4 plays where if things had gone differently, the result likely changes. That's just how it goes but that's how wins turn into losses and losses turn into wins, so can't really fixate on it. Young teams gotta take their lumps a bit in the playoffs usually as well before they get over that hump. This season was a good building block for this org and where they're headed and all the major long-term questions coming into the year have mostly been answered

Just as one SB window closed after 2021, a new one looks to just be opening for them with a new QB and a bunch of new young talent. Time for them to take another jump in 2024

Edited by deltarich87
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mikebpackfan said:

Yes, absolutely bring in competition, but my guess is he improves and we stick with him.  Don’t see him shanking massively or anything, usually just a hair to the left or right.  He’ll most likely get more consistent and be a solid kicker in this league for years. 

The miss was definitely nerves. His ball usually slides to the right after reaching it's peak. He hooked this one, which means he froze a little and his hips didn't release as freely as they normally would. That is pressure. 

4 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Their LS, Orzech, was terrible last night. That didn't help matters either.

• Like 3

My heart still hurts this AM as we should've won that game last night. Poor red zone execution in the first half set us back. We figured things out in the third quarter but once Tom left the game it felt like we reverted back to our first half struggles. If only Anders hit the damn field goal.

This has easily been one of my favorite Packer seasons I've seen in my entire life. The future is so bright with Love our skills guys. I don't care how well Barry did toward the end of the regular season and in the playoffs. IMO the only way for him to save his job was us winning the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1