49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

24 minutes ago, turf toe said:

Owens needs to be better in coverage, he only had 3 PD's but he's a tackling machine, had 84 total tackles, in 17 games played in, Ford in 13 games had 3Pd's and 71 tackles, Johnson 12 games 3 PD's only 24 tackles, 5 tackles average with just 1 PD in Savages 10 games is nothing that should guarantee a job next season, same for any of the rest, imo it's time to rebuild the safety position, I'd buy a UFA better then Savage and draft a couple, and bring Ford and Owens back. jmo though.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-rankings-safeties

Look through these and tell me who is definitively better than Savage, will cost around the same as Savage and if you think they're a better/worse fit with Barry than Savage. Or a more versatile scheme fit for the possibility of moving on from Barry.

Now I don't love PFF grades but let's just have a fun little look around the league here.

I'm not married to Savage but if you're telling me Owens is better. Eeehh were gonna be pretty far apart wherever this conversation ends.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I want our next DC to be here no more than 2-3 years before he becomes a Head Coach. I also want him to have developed somebody to take over when he leaves to be a HC. That guy can add his own wrinkles to what we already have in place. 

Yes and repeat the cycle. 

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

These are not accurate facts.

GB was a top 12 defense in 2021. 

A more correct response would be "...34 games of regular season data"

This is a world of what have you done for me lately.  2021 .. I was 15 lbs lighter back then and the Packer defense was better.  2 years later I've gained weight and the Packer defense has been in the mid to high 20's for being the worst.  I don't care about 2021 .. I care about 2022 and 2023 .. his overall defense for the past couple years hasn't been anything but average at best except for a couple late games when MLF got on his ***.  Time for a change.  

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

But the Packers defence gave the offence 3 chances to put the game away and they failed to do so! That is much more an issue. You feel it is a realistic expectation to stop 4 consecutive drives from scoring a TD?! We should have answered at least once. We had broken serve with the opportunity to kill the game and we didn't capitalise, that is where the game was lost. 

Until that final drive the Packers were holding the Niners to 17 points, 3 points of which coming off a pick!!! The Niners were held more than in check, they have never been held to 17 points in a game in the 2023 season. They average 28.9 points per game!!!!

Everything up to that final drive Barry did spot on and it needed the offence to finish it off, a win that was handed to the offence on a plate. 

I think your view is looking at this too narrowly.   Once in a while it is fair to expect the defense to win a game for you.  In GB if the offense isn't lights out, we lose.

"Everything up to that final drive Barry did spot on" - Yet he couldn't help but go back to his soft zones at the critical time.   No challenging of the short easy throws.   As to giving Barry a bunch of credit for holding SF under season averages - Don't you think weather had a little something to do with that?   I think when it is a down pour giving up the short easy throws is the worst strategy.   Make Purdy make a throw down field.   I don't think he would have.  If he did that it still allows for a lot more time on the play clock.

While Love's end of game interception was terrible, I don't think he makes that throw if it isn't that late in the game.  He's fighting the clock while trying to get into FG territory.  His mindset is that with limited time he can't give up on plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Once in a while it is fair to expect the defense to win a game for you. 

This has nothing to do with the Barry narrative, this is all about when did we lose the game? It wasn't the Packers final drive and it wasn't the Niners final drive. It was that passage of play at the end of 3rd and first half of the 4th where the defence more than did it's job to give the Packers three opportunities to make it a two score game and instead the offence failed to do so. That is where this game was lost. Where the momentum shifted.

Ha I think the **** talk is fine. I think the 9ers are the team I've hated the most the past 5 years.

**** talk makes good rivalries.

People don't like the jersey swaps after games and people don't like **** talk. Gotta have something.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Ha I think the **** talk is fine. I think the 9ers are the team I've hated the most the past 5 years.

**** talk makes good rivalries.

People don't like the jersey swaps after games and people don't like **** talk. Gotta have something.

We are to the 9ers what the Bears are to us, until we prove otherwise. I think we change that narrative next year. Irony alert, so do the Bears. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

This is a world of what have you done for me lately.  2021 .. I was 15 lbs lighter back then and the Packer defense was better.  2 years later I've gained weight and the Packer defense has been in the mid to high 20's for being the worst.  I don't care about 2021 .. I care about 2022 and 2023 .. his overall defense for the past couple years hasn't been anything but average at best except for a couple late games when MLF got on his ***.  Time for a change.  

Nah man I like DCs who get progressively worse over time. Barry 4 lyfe.

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-nfl-free-agency-rankings-safeties

Look through these and tell me who is definitively better than Savage, will cost around the same as Savage and if you think they're a better/worse fit with Barry than Savage. Or a more versatile scheme fit for the possibility of moving on from Barry.

Now I don't love PFF grades but let's just have a fun little look around the league here.

I'm not married to Savage but if you're telling me Owens is better. Eeehh were gonna be pretty far apart wherever this conversation ends.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that Owens is a better safety, and Savage did miss 7 games so his stats would be higher, but 1 PD in 10 games, thats low, the others having only 3 is to low, is it Barry's schemes, sure, thats possible, but it's the same for the others, obviously Savage is the willy vet, but also the most expensive, I'll need more time with the list, I didn't think he'd rank that high, thanks 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Isherwood said:

George Kittle is so cringe. Epic frat boy personality who acts like he’s on cocaine all the time and oh so charmingly “wacky” - can’t stand the ugly MFer 

Tight end seems to be the position that attracts the most Chads.

In all fairness, we've had our share too. 

Fans love those guys when they are on your team and hate them when they aren't. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Tight end seems to be the position that attracts the most Chads.

In all fairness, we've had our share too. 

Fans love those guys when they are on your team and hate them when they aren't. 

Bringo. Won’t hear a peep from me if Kraft starts going off like this 

• Like 1