2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

SF is also going to have to be able to beat us over the top in order to achieve those numbers. I could be very wrong but it doesn't seem like SF stretches the field deep often.

I'm far more worried about CMC  and Kittle in the short passing game. Also Deebo in general if he plays.

7 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

SF is also going to have to be able to beat us over the top in order to achieve those numbers. I could be very wrong but it doesn't seem like SF stretches the field deep often.

I'm far more worried about CMC  and Kittle in the short passing game. Also Deebo in general if he plays.

Purdy sucks in the rain, me and every 49er fan here know it. It’s something he will work on in the offseason, but he’s the most efficient deep throw passer this year, I think he balls out on Sunday in sunny Santa Clara, if we lose, which I doubt we will, I’m glad it’s to a team that’s never had one before and I hope they go all the way

9 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

GEPBJMKWkAA7Hi9?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Depends on what you're classifying as deep. Generally it's considered 20 air yards down field. 

Brock Purdy was one of the best in the NFL at it and he did it far more often than people think. 10.5% of his throws went 20+ yards down field. Goff, in comparison, was 7.5%. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

Depends on what you're classifying as deep. Generally it's considered 20 air yards down field. 

Brock Purdy was one of the best in the NFL at it and he did it far more often than people think. 10.5% of his throws went 20+ yards down field. Goff, in comparison, was 7.5%. 

But we're talking about volume WR stats against the Lions here. It's not a question of efficiency.

The EPA stats don't factor in YAC. SF (again, from what my incredibly flawed understanding) is built on YAC and efficiency. Nobody here is arguing that they aren't good/great there. They aren't built on forcing the ball to receivers downfield with a gunslinger QB mentality, which is what is accounting for those volume stats against Detroit.

I fully expect Kittle and CMC to feast in the passing game with big chunk gains with great YAC. I don't expect a game full of 40 yard bombs downfield ALA Stafford/Mullens. I expect to get dismantled efficiently. Detroit had 9 INTs in the 5 games mentioned above and went 4-1 with the lone loss being Dallas in that debacle. That is not how SF plays. Purdy will not throw 10+ balls to Aiyuk and will not throw 20+ balls beyond 10 yards.

Perhaps I misspoke in how I expressed that initially.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Why does everyone hate the 9ers? We haven’t won’t ****, our QB is an inspiration to Everyman who goes to work and never gets recognized, and our fans…ok I get it

I’ve never had an issue with your fans. If you were facing any other team than mine, I’d be rooting for you guys. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I’ve never had an issue with your fans. If you were facing any other team than mine, I’d be rooting for you guys. 

Ahh trying to win the good karma game huh, im moving to Michigan because it’s better than Cali

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Why does everyone hate the 9ers? We haven’t won’t ****, our QB is an inspiration to Everyman who goes to work and never gets recognized, and our fans…ok I get it

For this particular game I think it's less about people hating the Niners and more about Detroit being the feel good story.

15 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Oh really? So if the Ravens beat KC San Fran will be favored over a team that absolutely demolished them?

Okay...

SF will open -2.5 barring no injuries to their big 3 in the CCG if it's the Ravens. 

Versus the Chiefs, I think we are looking at -3.5.

It's also possible they look terrible against Det and still win, like they did with GB. But unlikely.

4 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

SF will open -2.5 barring no injuries to their big 3 in the CCG if it's the Ravens. 

Versus the Chiefs, I think we are looking at -3.5.

It's also possible they look terrible against Det and still win, like they did with GB. But unlikely.

Just seems weird to me to have a team over someone who already beat them handily.

The NFL is feasting on all Lion games. Last week it was over 40 million. The most in 30 years for NBC. 77% came from Mich. They’ve been starving for a moment like this.. Everyone and their dead grandma is cheering good the good guys. 

3 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Well obviously I don't need to answer that question.

But I will say Lions fans have worked  a minor miracle in that I won't be upset if the Niners win on Sunday. Won't be upset at all.