NFC Championship Game: Detroit Lions @ San Francisco 49ers

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Thought this would happen after week 18. LaPorta, Wright and Mitchell (IR) all injured. Not a bad thing to have depth at a position we use heavily. 

This does make me question his effectiveness. Coupled with the fact that he'll be new to the team and there is no rapport with Goff. 

He's also been a mediocre blocker the past 2 years with Arizona. I trust that this staff understands who he is and how he's going to fit into their group. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This does make me question his effectiveness. Coupled with the fact that he'll be new to the team and there is no rapport with Goff. 

He's also been a mediocre blocker the past 2 years with Arizona. I trust that this staff understands who he is and how he's going to fit into their group. 

I suspect he won't be asked to do more then run 2-3 basic routes and help keep the chains moving.  The potential upside:  Maybe Ben Johnson unleashes Jameson Williams.

• Like 2

I am not a huge fan of PFF grades but after looking at the depth chart for the 49rs O-Line, I decided to check them out.  What stood out to me is that their starting guards had pretty low grades.  RG Spencer Burford checks in at 50.4.  LG Aaron Banks checks in at 54.9.  This could give some favorable match-ups to Alim McNeill and maybe to Hutch if he moves/stunts inside.  I suspect AG sees the same thing and creates all kinds of havoc in the middle of their O-Line.

52 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am not a huge fan of PFF grades but after looking at the depth chart for the 49rs O-Line, I decided to check them out.  What stood out to me is that their starting guards had pretty low grades.  RG Spencer Burford checks in at 50.4.  LG Aaron Banks checks in at 54.9.  This could give some favorable match-ups to Alim McNeill and maybe to Hutch if he moves/stunts inside.  I suspect AG sees the same thing and creates all kinds of havoc in the middle of their O-Line.

Awosika is going to be starting for us next week. 

In his last 3 games, his PFF scores are

74.3 vs Las Vegas

30.8 vs Green Bay

69.9 vs Chicago

The Packers probably most closely resemble the 49ers out of this grouping. If you throw in an injured Frank, there could be a weakness up the middle for us as well. However, Jonah Jackson has also not been playing the greatest so maybe it's not that big of a drop. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Awosika is going to be starting for us next week. 

In his last 3 games, his PFF scores are

74.3 vs Las Vegas

30.8 vs Green Bay

69.9 vs Chicago

The Packers probably most closely resemble the 49ers out of this grouping. If you throw in an injured Frank, there could be a weakness up the middle for us as well. However, Jonah Jackson has also not been playing the greatest so maybe it's not that big of a drop. 

Two out of those three games were pretty solid.  He held up surprisingly well against the Bucs.  He gave up some pressures but I don't think he gave up any sacks.  He will be seeing a lot of Javon Hargrave, Arik Armstead and a little bit of Javon Kinlaw.  I don't think anyone expects him to pitch a shutout but he should be able to limit the damage.  It will be fun to watch Penei Sewell and Nick Bosa as well.

I’ve watched both playoff games. I didn’t move or speak for either. No cheering, NOTHING.

My wife thinks I must be in shock. It really hasn’t sunk in.

I’ve cheered for the Lions for 60 years. I always thought they’d win a superbowl but as time passed I thought they’d win an NFC Championship, then I settled for a playoff game.

As life has turned out this will likely be my last superbowl 

They Have the will, character, determination and belief in themselves to win. 

• Like 3

attack the right side of the 49ers oline in obvious passing downs -that is where we are weakest.

flood the middle of the field and make purdy throw outside the numbers. beware of CMC out of the backfield

dont play single high safety, dont play man coverage, and be careful with blitzing... Purdy will shred you to pieces. 

on offense - Gibbs is your greatest weapon. 49ers defense has trouble setting the edge. 

if Ambry Thomas is on the field... he is a PI machine... especially deep throws. just throw it up - he'll panic and tackle your receiver. EZ money

their linebacks are insane... Warner and Greenlaw are monsters. middle of the field vs this defense is a hazard zone. 

RZ defense is a strength of the 49ers.... they have been great at holding opponents to field goals from inside the 20 as of late

Green Bay had the right idea they just couldnt finish... play ball control... run Gibbs and Monty... shorten the game leverage your massive oline.  

The Browns and the Ravens took it to the 49ers. Played bully-ball and beat-up. 

49ers are tremendous front runners. if they get up 2 scores on you it's very hard to come back. it unlocks Shanahan's Play action leverage and you're done. they will just snowball you out of the stadium

Close games is where they get into trouble... Shanahan gets inside his own head out thinks himself, gets scared to lose... yeah. 

Edited by Herodreamer79
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’ve watched both playoff games. I didn’t move or speak for either. No cheering, NOTHING.

My wife thinks I must be in shock. It really hasn’t sunk in.

I’ve cheered for the Lions for 60 years. I always thought they’d win a superbowl but as time passed I thought they’d win an NFC Championship, then I settled for a playoff game.

As life has turned out this will likely be my last superbowl 

They Have the will, character, determination and belief in themselves to win. 

We love you my man, enjoy it! Hope you'll be around for many more.

• Like 2