2024 Mocks

D82

14 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

LT and Center if we don't resign Biadasz

Agreed. But these mocks here have us taking a Center with our 1st pick. From a value perspective, LT is a premium position that should take precedence over C. 

With shaky play from Steele last year and no quality swing tackle on this roster, the LT position is a glaring hole. 

Edited by Tony7188

2 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Agreed. But these mocks here have us taking a Center with our 1st pick. From a value perspective, LT is a premium position that should take precedence over C. 

With shaky play from Steele last year and no quality swing tackle on this roster, the LT position is a glaring hole. 

Agreed - FA will have a huge determining factor on what we do in the draft

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Behind your blindside, Center is most important position on the line. He touches the ball every single snap. He is your anchor point in pass protection and run blocking and is generally calling out the protection adjustments down the line presnap. Center is probably the most underrated position on the Offense. 

Biadasz has been the weak link on the line for last 3 years. 

• Like 1

Ideally we resign both - Tyron to a short-term 2-3yr contract and see if Biadasz continues to develop.  If we end up in a position to draft a LT or JPJ then we can and see how they play out in the preseason with options to upgrade at RT and C available and then replace Tyron going into 2025 season if he continues to degrade.  You ideally don't want to head into the draft with 2 massive holes in your starting line

Keep in mind we Did Sign La'el Collins again and we do have Asim Richards and Matt Waletsko, I think that's his name, that we've yet to see in action. Tyler Bass filled in nicely as well.

Don't get me wrong, I got no problem signing or drafting a mailer, just saying we got some in house possibilities.

5 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Keep in mind we Did Sign La'el Collins again and we do have Asim Richards and Matt Waletsko, I think that's his name, that we've yet to see in action. Tyler Bass filled in nicely as well.

Don't get me wrong, I got no problem signing or drafting a mailer, just saying we got some in house possibilities.

Did Bass fill in well enough to commit to moving Smith to tackle and letting the other smith go as we draft a tackle to help as depth or upgrade Steele down the road.  I guess it’s time I start my eval of the draft class and mock drafts.  I just know there is going to be a ton on pressure on this years draft. First they have fewer pics so no hiding a miss or less chance to  hit a HR.  Second with the fail of last years draft the franchise can not afford back to back duds.  Third it is obvious this team needs a few more playmakers on D and 1 more on offense at least if they expect to compete in the playoffs and repeat as division winner 

Edited by quiller

On 2/2/2024 at 10:40 AM, MaddHatter said:

Agreed - FA will have a huge determining factor on what we do in the draft

We both know that the Clampett’s aren’t going to do a damned thing in free agency other than scour the dumpsters like they always do. They’ll sell the “we extended our guys, so that’s just like signing a big named free agent” crap yet again, and the fans will lap it up like the mindless idiots that they are. 

7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

We both know that the Clampett’s aren’t going to do a damned thing in free agency other than scour the dumpsters like they always do. They’ll sell the “we extended our guys, so that’s just like signing a big named free agent” crap yet again, and the fans will lap it up like the mindless idiots that they are. 

That's a rather cynical viewpoint.  Don't hold back.  Let us know how you really feel, lol!

Sadly I think you're right.  They did trade for Gilmore last year which I would classify as a pick up the aging star who still has gas in the tank move. Don't know if they have the resources to do that this year.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:37 PM, Tony7188 said:

Mocks are fun right now, but we all know that once the combine is over some guys stock will sky rocket while others will plunge.  I've done some mocks where I've traded back and ended up doubling our total picks.  Not realistic but fun.

I think OT, LB, and RB need to be addressed this off season. Another reliable wideout would be nice. OL and DL depth is always important. Will probably need to replace Biadasz. For the new DC and staff figuring out how to stop the run is a big priority.

On 2/3/2024 at 2:47 PM, quiller said:

Did Bass fill in well enough to commit to moving Smith to tackle and letting the other smith go as we draft a tackle to help as depth or upgrade Steele down the road.  I guess it’s time I start my eval of the draft class and mock drafts.  I just know there is going to be a ton on pressure on this years draft. First they have fewer pics so no hiding a miss or less chance to  hit a HR.  Second with the fail of last years draft the franchise can not afford back to back duds.  Third it is obvious this team needs a few more playmakers on D and 1 more on offense at least if they expect to compete in the playoffs and repeat as division winner 

I'm not a fan of the idea of moving Tyler back to tackle. The back and forth, and back and forth, is only going to stunt his continued growth. 

He is certainly capable of either spot. But his power AND mobility from the guard spot could be an immensely valuable tool with the proper tailback cutting off of him on a pull. Remember a certain former raider first round semi-bust actually being a viable 25 touch option running behind Lael Collins at LG, who matched him stride for stride up field to even block safeties and lead block the way to the end zone? Collins was a solid RT, but when he kicked outside we lost something very special from the guard spot.

Tyler offers that special level of play at guard that can elevate a ground game with the right running back. He could kick out to tackle and be solid. Reliable. Even pro bowl level. But you'd be missing out on the possible perennial all pro, possibly hall of Fame special execution coming from the guard spot. And Id take special and elevating the ground game over solid and reliable any day, even if the tackle spot is the more "valuable" position.

I'd look to shore up my left side for the next 10 years and target another highly mobile lineman for that LT spot in the first 2 or 3 rounds of the draft. Pairing highly mobile OLs on one side like that may sound like overkill, but it would allow for a variety of attack methods in the run game while also offering the nimbleness on that side to keep position against those athletic DEs that tylically play on the weak side.

This in turn would allow Steele and Martin to continue holding down that right side with their power blocking and very balanced foot work. Giving the offense and it's running backs two entirely different sets of blocking styles to be effective working with. 

And if you look around the league, the successful running offenses have gone this route over the last decade or so. You don't see lines fully committed to one style, be it zone blocking, or pull blocking, man blocking, power blocking etc the way you used to. You see lines with players who are a little more versatile, but moreso, players who shine in one thing, while the man next to them shines in another. Allowing for play calls to build off of each set of skills by the big guys up front, and forcing defenses to remain wholly uncommitted to one course of attack against the run.

When McFadden and before him, Murray, were starting in Dallas. They were fully committed to out maneuvering DLs with speed off the snap, hustle on the finish, and ran a lot of zone blocking concepts. They also excelled in pull blocking once Collins landed at Guard and despite not having a other 1800 yard rusher like they did with Murray, the line was very effective when they could run either concept well.

When Zeke got here, to fit his style, they played a lot more man up blocking and inside zones off of it. And while it had a lot of success early, it certainly played a part in Zeke's inconsistencies later on. Defenses knew how to attack the OL to get to Zeke. The return to consistently one dimensional blocking styles led to a lot of inconsistency and empty yardage for one of the leagues best runners at the time.

Versatility has become King in the NFL. At pretty much every position, at every level, in every scheme, and on both offense and defense. The days of  running a clear cut one dimensional "zone blocking scheme" "west coast offense" "cover 2" "3-4" "4-3" standardized systems are dying, if not already dead.

And it's time for Dallas to catch up with that in regards to it's ground game. The versatility of Zeke with Pollard and the line playing man up, zone, power, pull, etc based on what each guy did best was partly why the duo was so effective as opposed to just one of them sticking constantly to one style.

Sorry for writing so much. Having played OL it is where my heart always lay when it comes to football...

With all that said though. I'm so highly against Tyler kicking out to tackle. And very hopeful he gets paired long-term with a LT that has just as much foot speed and kick out quickness to ensure the lines ability to truly do it all.

Then the next order of business should be a clear cut massive, boulder moving center that will enable those tough inside yardages and truly round out what this line can do.

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 1:18 PM, quiller said:

I guess I really need to do some mocks to get a feel for the available but I would say using Gallypesque appeal is probably not a good thing though I indeed loved Gallup before injury

Gallup post injury is still the same player. His first half season back he seemed timid even on a run off before engaging a block on a run play. But he seemed less so as the season wore on. And by this season he was back to his old self. I don't see the reluctance anymore, nor do I see the the rounded off routes anymore. His production just remained low because the additions of Cooks and emergence of Ferguson has made Gallup the fourth offensive option at best, and likely fifth in most pass concepts because of how reliable Pollard is from the backfield.

I think if Gallup ends up someplace else, he is going to make Jerry - and worse, us Dallas fans - resent the fact we let him go.

It's frustrating because Gallups style is exactly what this offense has lacked for two years now. He fit an important role out wide, being lengthy enough and tough enough to make a play and fight for those high points balls, while being strong and properly built enough to make those violent catches between the hashes. That bigger bodied wide receiver that can supplement the finesse that is CeeDee Lamb. While Ferguson has helped fill that role a bit, it's very different when a receiver is working that role from the outside against a corner, than a tight end doing it against a backer or safety. It is much more disruptive to a defenses coverage scheme and even effects the formations they need to call to cover it.

I know your post wasn't directly designed to garner Gallup talk. But I really think he is a good player who is now in a bunny situation moreso than a once good player who can't get the job done effectively anymore after an injury.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Gallup post injury is still the same player. His first half season back he seemed timid even on a run off before engaging a block on a run play. But he seemed less so as the season wore on. And by this season he was back to his old self. I don't see the reluctance anymore, nor do I see the the rounded off routes anymore. His production just remained low because the additions of Cooks and emergence of Ferguson has made Gallup the fourth offensive option at best, and likely fifth in most pass concepts because of how reliable Pollard is from the backfield.

I think if Gallup ends up someplace else, he is going to make Jerry - and worse, us Dallas fans - resent the fact we let him go.

It's frustrating because Gallups style is exactly what this offense has lacked for two years now. He fit an important role out wide, being lengthy enough and tough enough to make a play and fight for those high points balls, while being strong and properly built enough to make those violent catches between the hashes. That bigger bodied wide receiver that can supplement the finesse that is CeeDee Lamb. While Ferguson has helped fill that role a bit, it's very different when a receiver is working that role from the outside against a corner, than a tight end doing it against a backer or safety. It is much more disruptive to a defenses coverage scheme and even effects the formations they need to call to cover it.

I know your post wasn't directly designed to garner Gallup talk. But I really think he is a good player who is now in a bunny situation moreso than a once good player who can't get the job done effectively anymore after an injury.

A lot of how this up coming draft will depend on how the team feels about Gallup.  If they do not see keeping him then a high pick will be used in WR I imagine.   I would love a OT in the first and keep Smith at guard ….   But this seems unlikely 

My next step should be looking at the D draft picks last time Zimmer was here get an idea what type of players he want…