D82

Recent mock simulation I ran through on PFF without any trades:

1.24 - Brian Thomas JR. (WR)

2.56 - Junior Colson (LB)

3.87 - Blake Corum (RB)

5.173 - Myles Murphy (DL)

6.213 - Tanor Bortolini (C)

7.242 - Deshaun Fenwick (RB)

Assuming we let Pollard walk and resign Gilmore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

The issue isn't what happens in the regular season. The issue is how poorly he performs in the playoffs. The defense needs to be held accountable, too, but his terribly play has been evident for years. I have a hard time being willing to dole out a massive contract to a guy who mentally melts down in January. It's also why I was against Romo's albatross deal. Both guys are great human beings, and the types of men whom you'd want to marry your sister, just not lead your football team in January.

Hey you and I both know that as bad as Jerry wants another ring, he's just as happy with an regular season MVP. It sells.

And that's the last anti Jerry statement you will EVER see from me lol

I will say that I don't think Dak did too poorly in this last game against GB. He didn't open very well but he settled down, and I think a big part of those mistakes was MM. He came out gun-slinging like it was Kellen Moore all over again. That 1. Is NOT Dak's game and 2. That is NOT what made Dak an MVP candidate throughout the season. By the time MM reverted back to his Texas toast offense (lol) it was too late for Dallas.

6 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Recent mock simulation I ran through on PFF without any trades:

1.24 - Brian Thomas JR. (WR)

2.56 - Junior Colson (LB)

3.87 - Blake Corum (RB)

5.173 - Myles Murphy (DL)

6.213 - Tanor Bortolini (C)

7.242 - Deshaun Fenwick (RB)

Assuming we let Pollard walk and resign Gilmore.

I ran something similar with Keon Coleman going at 24 for me. I don't think he is a true big play receiver like some.project. but his frame and physicality do translate to a solid early down target capable of moving the chains. It would synergize with Lamb well.

As for Pollard and Gallimore. I think under Zimmer you will see Gallimore penetrating more. His power off the snap was very under utilized with Quinn. Zimmer will make use of it. I hope they give him a decent deal to really get him going.

Pollard I'm on the fence about. On one hand, in a two back rotation his ability to break a game wide open is terrific. But can you justify paying him again, with Zeke still counting for 6 million in dead cap, AND still have to add a physical early down/early game runner? I don't think you can.

Might be time for Deuce to put in his big boy pants and take over that role from Tony, and bring in an early down runner. I wouldn't want a rookie though. Too much riding on the season for two unknowns at RB. Gotta be a veteran. Which means more investment. Which again leaves to the same conundrum we are already in with Pollard..

And then to Junior Colson in round 2. He is my best defensive fit for Dallas and my third favorite player in the draft. He is so physical, yet so alert, and plays so much faster than a 40 time may show because he reads the offense so quickly and is in line with the runner for a tackle faster than any straight line speed test will give credit for. I think Dallas could even look to take him at 24 depending on what's available. With the talk on Twitter/X that LVE could face early retirement, it pushes LB to the top of the needs list by far, too.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

• 2 weeks later...

Well we can add a fifths nd a sixth to the  mocks now!!!    It still disturbs me teams get a higher comp pick for loosing a coordinator then a player.  I don’t think we got comps for Moore as we played it wrong …

4 hours ago, quiller said:

Well we can add a fifths nd a sixth to the  mocks now!!!    It still disturbs me teams get a higher comp pick for loosing a coordinator then a player.  I don’t think we got comps for Moore as we played it wrong …

I'm not sure how the coordinator comps work at all. But from what little I've read, I think it applies to teams losing a coach on what could be conceived as a lateral move and that they need to be under contract with no intent to fire that coach. Correct me if I am wrong, though. And if I am right, I am sure it's at least partially right because like I said, I didn't really read much on it. And even then, only just recently.

But I think it's a great idea as it promotes good young coaches getting opportunities for better situations that advance their career. Like as a throw away example, Schottenheimer doesn't call the plays but is a coordinator. If he wants to call plays to add to his resume (yes I know he has called plays previously, like I said a throw away example) and make a play at a head coach job eventually, staying locked in as an OC that doesn't call plays is only going to hinder his career. If he had a chance to take a lateral move to a team where he would get his first chance to call plays, it shouldn't be his current teams choice if he can or not. Compensation picks in the draft give teams an incentive to let them make that career advancing and life changing move 

I might be biased in this thinking though. As a failed college tackle who had to work three times as hard just to play in a few games but had a promising career ahead as a coach starting with a graduate assistant position before my own youthful arrogance screwed it up, I can attest how hard it is to being noticed by other coaching staffs and offered even a minor role, let alone a full blown promotion or increase in responsibility where you can add something positive to your resume

if you notice, a high percentage of these coaches, even position coaches and assistants, have ties in some way to a family member that coached, ties to a current coach that they befriended or crossed paths with someplace else, or had some sort of NFL career or got noticed by, and given a chance by, a successful coach. If you don't come from a coaching bloodline, or a successful coaching tree, or played professionally in some way, it is almost impossible to any real promotions in the field. Friends and family members seem to always take priority. 

So any incentive the league can offer for teams to allow coaches to take on larger roles or increased responsibility, I think is a great thing for many young coaches who would otherwise be consistently regulated to second fiddle coordinators having little, if any, input on the actual call sheet or gameplan, and moreso just runs the tediums of coordinating while their HC actually runs the show and gets the pat on the back when the scheme is a success.

Sorry I hijacked the thread with my coach nonsense above.

I'll redirect it to the proper track by saying I saw two mock drafts from Sports Illustrated writers that both had projected trade ups for Dallas to select offensive tackles. I guess them moving on from Tyron puts tackle high on the list of perceived needs - so high that they are projecting Dallas trading up to get their guy.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of that idea. If the team plans to trade up. I'd rather it be for a player that can make splash plays, rather than help them happen. Especially when Steele is still a solid, and sometimes even impressive, RT. And that although I'd be against another move for Tyler, moving him to LT could easily fill the void. And guard is a much easier to fill position than LT. 

I also think Bass has a promising future as he gets stronger and locks down the mental part of playing on the line. Competing with Asim and another mid round rookie or decent FA addition should make LG one of the better competitions to watch in camp, should they move Tyler to LT. If they do not, I do agree an OT in round 1 would be a great idea if the right player falls to them.

But trading up for one like the SI writers mocked, I wouldn't be such a fan of. Because LT can be easily solved with Tyler, and competition at LG if he does slide outside, already looks to be pretty good I think. So giving up more draft capital for LT just doesn't sound wise to me. Unless you're somehow getting Joe Alt or something, where what you're getting is as about as surefire quality as you can get in a draft.

First mock of the year (via PFF):

R1: 24- Troy Fautanu, T Washington (A+)

R2: 56- Kris Jenkins, DI Michigan (B+)

R3: 87- Trey Benson, HB Florida State (B)

Overall Draft Grade: A

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

24. Jackson Powers-JohnsonOC Oregon

56. Edgerrin CooperLB Texas A&M

87. Brandon ColemanOG TCU

174. Khristian BoydDT Nothern Iowa

216. Tyrone Tracy Jr.RB Purdue

233. Omar SpeightsLB LSU

244. Gabriel MurphyEDGE UCLA

PFN mock.

• Like 1

I used Sportskeeda simulator and got this

Troy FautanuOG Washington

T'Vondre SweatDT Texas

Edgerrin CooperLB Texas A&M

Kiran AmegadjieOT Yale

Frank Gore Jr.RB Southern Miss

Lideatrick GriffinWR Mississippi State

Hunter NourzadOC Penn State

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 1:29 PM, WizardHawk said:

24. Jackson Powers-JohnsonOC Oregon

56. Edgerrin CooperLB Texas A&M

87. Brandon ColemanOG TCU

174. Khristian BoydDT Nothern Iowa

216. Tyrone Tracy Jr.RB Purdue

233. Omar SpeightsLB LSU

244. Gabriel MurphyEDGE UCLA

PFN mock.

This would be a home run of a draft if this came true.

On 3/16/2024 at 3:40 PM, textaz03 said:

I used Sportskeeda simulator and got this

Troy FautanuOG Washington

T'Vondre SweatDT Texas

Edgerrin CooperLB Texas A&M

Kiran AmegadjieOT Yale

Frank Gore Jr.RB Southern Miss

Lideatrick GriffinWR Mississippi State

Hunter NourzadOC Penn State

I like the idea of beefing up the trenches. Having a LB in the top 3 rounds is a must, imo.