24. Jackson Powers-JohnsonOC Oregon

56. Edgerrin CooperLB Texas A&M

87. Brandon ColemanOG TCU

174. Khristian BoydDT Nothern Iowa

216. Tyrone Tracy Jr.RB Purdue

233. Omar SpeightsLB LSU

244. Gabriel MurphyEDGE UCLA

PFN mock.

If Jackson Powers Johnson is available at 24, Dallas would be stupid to not make that pick. Word is that he interviewed exceptionally well, and was even able to diagram on the dry erase boards several different pro level blocking concepts and their corresponding adjustments based on the defensive alignment changes and reactions to offensive presnap motions.

If you combine that level of football know-how with the never ending array of dominant film that JPJ has put together, you have the exact mold of a future all pro on the OL. 

It is not often you see an interior OL go in the top 15 of a draft, but there are several teams with the need for his position and the track record of defying the norm to select a great player regardless of the perceived value of player or position. For this reason I think JPJ breaks the typical norms of his position and could be selected as early as 15 to the Colts, or even possibly earlier at 10th to the Jets with an attempt to better protect Rodgers. It sounds absolutely crazy, but JPJ is that kind of next level prospect and the only thing keeping him out of talk in the top 5 is that he plays inside.

If he gets past 16th overall with the Seahawks, I think Dallas needs to start making calls to see what a pick swap up from 24 would cost and if it's doable. IMO he is a top 3 to top 5 player overall, and even at Center, he is well worth giving up a third this year and a third next year to move up and go get him at pick 16 or 17. 

If Dallas waits any longer, his value begins to skyrocket as the worries over the value of his position diminish very quickly after 15th, 16th, 17th picks. 

That is just how highly I think of him, that I'd be just fine giving up two third round picks to move up 7 or 8 slots to get him. 

Not to mention that Center also happens to be one of the biggest holes on the entire roster.

• Like 1

I agree about JPJ but don't think we can afford to trade up.  We need an OT or G if we slide Smith out, which leaves Paul potentially in the 2nd and not much else at LT.  If we go Guyton in the first if JPJ doesn't fall, we can still add a starting caliber C in the 2nd with Frazier from WV or SVP from GA

5 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

I agree about JPJ but don't think we can afford to trade up.  We need an OT or G if we slide Smith out, which leaves Paul potentially in the 2nd and not much else at LT.  If we go Guyton in the first if JPJ doesn't fall, we can still add a starting caliber C in the 2nd with Frazier from WV or SVP from GA

I think it'd be a huge mistake to kick Tyler out to tackle. He makes a better guard. Sure, tackle is the "higher value" position and he can play it well enough. But you'd be settling for "good enough" tackle over "really good" guard, for lack of a better comparison (as I do realize he was better than good enough at OT). It reminds me of when they kicked Collins out to OT. He essentially went from top 5 guard to top 15ish OT. To me that wasn't a good trade off. I think it'd be the same thing here. I say only slide him out to LT if you absolutely can't find a serviceable starter through camp. 

I do kind of disagree about not affording the trade up for JPJ though. At the 24th pick, if he's there at 16, 17...you're talking between 6 and 8 slot trade up in the middle of the draft as opposed to the top of it. A third this year and a fourth or third next year should do it unless a team is getting larger offers from other teams looking to move up for a QB, in which case you can always wait another pick or even two picks. Sure, that third round pick could solve a depth problem at receiver or add a Tackle or linebacker to the depth chart to compete in camp. Or even become a running back that challenges for a starting job. But I'd happily give any of that up if it means adding a top talent from the draft, and securing the center position from day 1 of camp.

We have some bodies at OT that we have put some time into already and need a chance to step up. It's also a deep class and finding one in round 2 or 4 to add to the mix is just as plausible. I think Dowdle and Vaughn can provide enough at RB to justify looking much later in the draft to add someone. And really, the chance to just add a player like Powers-Johnson to the roster is just darn worth it IMO

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Dallas hasn’t traded up in the first round since 2012 for Claiborne *barf*. They have traded down in the first twice since then (2013, Frederick; 2021, Parsons).

I think a top tier center could potentially transform this running game in ways even a very good left tackle could not, but this team has hemorrhaged too much depth to be parting ways with any more Top 100 picks. We lost 6 linemen to free agency and added *checks notes* zero. That’s pretty wild if you think about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I think it'd be a huge mistake to kick Tyler out to tackle. He makes a better guard. Sure, tackle is the "higher value" position and he can play it well enough. But you'd be settling for "good enough" tackle over "really good" guard, for lack of a better comparison (as I do realize he was better than good enough at OT). It reminds me of when they kicked Collins out to OT. He essentially went from top 5 guard to top 15ish OT. To me that wasn't a good trade off. I think it'd be the same thing here. I say only slide him out to LT if you absolutely can't find a serviceable starter through camp. 

I do kind of disagree about not affording the trade up for JPJ though. At the 24th pick, if he's there at 16, 17...you're talking between 6 and 8 slot trade up in the middle of the draft as opposed to the top of it. A third this year and a fourth or third next year should do it unless a team is getting larger offers from other teams looking to move up for a QB, in which case you can always wait another pick or even two picks. Sure, that third round pick could solve a depth problem at receiver or add a Tackle or linebacker to the depth chart to compete in camp. Or even become a running back that challenges for a starting job. But I'd happily give any of that up if it means adding a top talent from the draft, and securing the center position from day 1 of camp.

We have some bodies at OT that we have put some time into already and need a chance to step up. It's also a deep class and finding one in round 2 or 4 to add to the mix is just as plausible. I think Dowdle and Vaughn can provide enough at RB to justify looking much later in the draft to add someone. And really, the chance to just add a player like Powers-Johnson to the roster is just darn worth it IMO

I agree about moving Tyler out to T - he's been there, done that, was very good but could be a great G so if we can keep him inside and draft a solid LT instead, that's a win.  

21 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Dallas hasn’t traded up in the first round since 2012 for Claiborne *barf*. They have traded down in the first twice since then (2013, Frederick; 2021, Parsons).

I think a top tier center could potentially transform this running game in ways even a very good left tackle could not, but this team has hemorrhaged too much depth to be parting ways with any more Top 100 picks. We lost 6 linemen to free agency and added *checks notes* zero. That’s pretty wild if you think about it.

Well don't forget that the trade down to land Parsons was more to buy time and decide what player to go with after both corners were gone. They went into the draft that year thinking corner corner corner corner. Parsons was on their radar, but when the corners were gone it became a matter of buying time to see what else unfolds. Even on the clock a second time, rumor on the draft show was they were still unsure what to do. Luckily it worked out 

They moved down the other time for Frederick with him in mind the entire time. They knew he wouldn't be taken that high. But valued the fifth year option on him enough to pull that trigger and wanted to get as much as they could before picking him. That was actually true savvy.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

1 - OL, possibly after a trade down
2 & 3 - LB and RB, in either order   
Day 3 - looking at double-dips at LB and RB

Wild card is a trade down. Add another top 100 pick, and I could see them picking a WR.

LOL. Due diligence and such, blah blah blah. Dallas touches a TE, more specifically Sanders, a higher ranked one, I’ll personally provide everyone here with pitchforks and torches. It’s honestly annoys me they even looked.

That aside, pretty clear where the focus is. Heading into the 4th, wouldn’t be a surprise if  OL, LB and RB are already addressed. I will add, looking at the RB list, think I’d be inclined to go with Tracy/Ali in the middle over the ones ranked above. 

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

LOL. Due diligence and such, blah blah blah. Dallas touches a TE, more specifically Sanders, a higher ranked one, I’ll personally provide everyone here with pitchforks and torches. It’s honestly annoys me they even looked.

That aside, pretty clear where the focus is. Heading into the 4th, wouldn’t be a surprise if  OL, LB and RB are already addressed. I will add, looking at the RB list, think I’d be inclined to go with Tracy/Ali in the middle over the ones ranked above. 

With the amount of holes on this roster, TE is definitely not one of them! If they select a TE in the first 4 rounds, this front office will be more inept than we thought! 

With the amount of depth at Oline and WR in this draft, we should seriously be looking to trade down a few spots to collect an additional top 100 pick or 2.

Packers have 2 thirds 

Bills have 2 fourths 

Bengals have 2 thirds

Vikings 2 4ths and 2 5ths

Rams 2 3rds

Chargers 2 4ths

Steelers 2 3rds

49ers 3 4ths (including ours)

Bucs 2 3rds

Commanders 2 2nds and 3 3rds and 2 5ths 

these are our likely trade down partners this year if and that is a big IF Jerry can find a deal to be made

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

With the amount of holes on this roster, TE is definitely not one of them! If they select a TE in the first 4 rounds, this front office will be more inept than we thought! 

If you think this franchise is inept at drafting… They aren’t perfect, no one is, but there’s a really good argument that no team in football has drafted better over the past decade.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If you think this franchise is inept at drafting… They aren’t perfect, no one is, but there’s a really good argument that no team in football has drafted better over the past decade.

Agreed. I wouldn’t say that the front office is inept at drafting. They’re inept at strategy and they clearly don’t prepare for outcomes that they haven’t predetermined, so there is some degree of incompetence there. However, the biggest problem is the clear lack of accountability, responsibility, sense of urgency, and coaching empowerment within the front office. The poor culture is the real issue.

Edited by plan9misfit

7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Agreed. I wouldn’t say that the front office is inept at drafting. They’re inept at strategy and they clearly don’t prepare for outcomes that they haven’t predetermined, so there is some degree of incompetence there. However, the biggest problem is the clear lack of accountability, responsibility, sense of urgency, and coaching empowerment within the front office. The poor culture is the real issue.

7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

It’s the same problem every year and nothing will change. Jerry has become cheap *** which is why Garret lasted so long  and why McCarthy is still here. If they really wanted to go all in they would have brought Belichek in  signed Dak CD to extensions so they have cap room and bring in some actual players in free agency. 
As long as they are  making money winning is secondary. I have not gone to a game since 2016 and refuse to give Jerry any of my hard earned money ever again. I’ll still watch some but I don’t watch every game anymore like I used too as it’s Groundhog Day every with the Cowboys as long as Jerry is around.

Edited by cromagnum

On 3/28/2024 at 9:15 AM, MaddHatter said:

I agree about moving Tyler out to T - he's been there, done that, was very good but could be a great G so if we can keep him inside and draft a solid LT instead, that's a win.  

Agree. Tyler is a good LT.  He's a great LG.  Keep him at guard and draft a tackle. Hello a modern day version of Shell and Upshaw.