Chicago Bears hiring Shane Waldron as OC

notthatbluestuff

32 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Good hire he got Geno to play pretty good, thinks this means they're learning towards keeping fields since they didn't hire an OC that would benefit Williams.

I don't think that's the correct assumption to make

Its really hard to watch this as an outsider. They're going to do the exact same thing to Williams as they did to Fields. Lame duck coach who most likely gets fired after next season barring a Stroud-like rookie season from Williams and he'll be switching offenses going into his sophomore year.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Its really hard to watch this as an outsider. They're going to do the exact same thing to Williams as they did to Fields. Lame duck coach who most likely gets fired after next season barring a Stroud-like rookie season from Williams and he'll be switching offenses going into his sophomore year.  

So I guess the assumption is they're 100% jumping ship from Fields? Where do we think he ends up?

51 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think they’re banking on a Stroud-like season for sure. Defensive minded coach working on the defense, and a young hotshot QB paired with the aspiring OC. 

honestly if they can find a center and a few more weapons, then Williams or Fields will have plenty of Chance to succeed.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

So I guess the assumption is they're 100% jumping ship from Fields? Where do we think he ends up?

I mean, I'm not 100% certain they do but if I had to guess I'd imagine they go that route. And if they don't that's yet again another OC for Fields. Its a horrible way to develop a QB. 

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

I mean, I'm not 100% certain they do but if I had to guess I'd imagine they go that route. And if they don't that's yet again another OC for Fields. Its a horrible way to develop a QB. 

Getsy was awful though, he’d run three screens in a row inside their own five if you let him. You couldn’t stick with him for the sake of continuity. I wish they’d canned their HC and hired an OC, but Eberflus never lost the locker room. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

You guys say this, but barring an absolute collapse and major regression for the Bears, I have a feeling Eberflus is safe next year as well, unless they decide to stick with Fields and Caleb lights it up next year.  He is extremely well regarded by the front office and the locker room and had that defense playing very well.  People compare this to Fox and Nagy, and while it's not totally dissimilar, Eberflus is in a better position for a few reasons.  First, this team is on an upward swing, not downward like those two coaches were heading into the season they were fired, and the Bears have a ton of draft capital and cap space and will make moves, they do not need to move up to get a guy.  Also, Fox and Nagy were fired for, among other things, not doing a good job on their side of the ball that they were supposed to be experts in.  Regardless of your view on Chicagos offense, Eberflus has the defense in a very good spot, near the top in most categories after trading for Montez Swear.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think you're a little misinformed. Yes it'd be another OC for Fields. One way or another whether he stays in Chicago or with a new team he's going to have a new OC.

What I don't think you realize here is that Waldron employs some of the same concepts/scheme they ran with Getsy aka the Shanny/McVay offense, so if Fields sticks with Bears it's not as if it'd be like he's learning a brand new language

On the other hand if they were to move on from Fields and draft Caleb I don't think it's right to assume that this coaching staff will be going into a lame duck season

Remember that Poles and Eberflus inherited Fields so I'm assuming if they chose to draft their own guy at QB they'd be given more than 1 more season to turn things around 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

That is my guess and hope.  I think Atlanta is a likely landing spot, could also see New England if they aren't a fan of the other QBs behind Williams and Maye who are likely going 1&2.  Perhaps Pittsburgh as well.

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think you're a little misinformed. Yes it'd be another OC for Fields. One way or another whether he stays in Chicago or with a new team he's going to have a new OC.

What I don't think you realize here is that Waldron employs some of the same concepts/scheme they ran with Getsy aka the Shanny/McVay offense, so if Fields sticks with Bears it's not as if it'd be like he's learning a brand new language

On the other hand if they were to move on from Fields and draft Caleb I don't think it's right to assume that this coaching staff will be going into a lame duck season

Remember that Poles and Eberflus inherited Fields so I'm assuming if they chose to draft their own guy at QB they'd be given more than 1 more season to turn things around 

I mean, yeah, I'm outside of the fanbase so I don't know the intimate details. I could be completely wrong but everything I saw was that Eberflus was in big trouble and it seemed to be a bit shocking that he kept his job. Hopefully it all works out and Caleb has a similar impact on the Bears that Stroud had on the Texans. No hate for the team.