Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I was looking on Amazon.  So you think those other Ravenburger games would be more adult type strategy games then?  Because I really like the idea of having the movie playing while playing the game.  

I have not played either so don't have an opinion on those. I just got back into Board Gaming about 2 months ago so have mainly been trying the newer games.

• Like 1

@Outpost31

I've heard great things about Horrified. 

Other games that I'd recommend would be:
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - Has that Mafia vibe but there's more to it and it's less random accusations at the start. 
Second Chance - Simple flip and write game that I've had great success with
Just One - Party style game, but cooperative. It's simple to teach and has been a big hit.
Sagrada - Could be a good slight step up from the complexity for them, but the rules are simple and it looks good.

Letter Jam - Also a step up in complexity, but it's really not that hard and it's cooperative.

I think that might be a key for games to consider, what games look good on the table, you'll probably be able to get them at least somewhat interested if it looks cool. I also think that cooperative is also very good, because you can help teach rules and give advice when needed on turns instead of all of it just up front.

Pandemic, Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert could be good cooperative options.

• Like 1

I love Deception: Murder in Hong Kong so I'd second that one. Looks like Villanous is made by Ravenburger too. I haven't played it yet but I've heard great things. I'm not in love with the Disney theme but the concept sounds cool and I like when games have varying winning conditions and strategies. 

Also just throw them into the deep end with complicated game like Terramystica. :P 

Board game related, I'm going to GenCon this year, and I just had not one but two housing things fall through. It's really annoying, the first one, that was okay, the second one fell through because someone put a typo in a message they sent so when I skimmed it, it read differently than intended.

Tortuga 2199 hit all of the stretch goals in the last hour or so. Now just the wait until August....

I happily added two new games today while hitting some of the more obscure stores in town that I only get to a few times a year.

The 3rd Barnes and Noble in town but it's got the worst location because of traffic had Wingspan and I hadn't been able to find it anywhere. Got it for $42 since the wife works at one of the other stores.

Went to 2nd and Charles a used bookstore that also has games. Got Onitama there for only $16 instead of $30. I'm likely headed back tomorrow with a few games that I don't intend to keep and trade them in for some credit to get an expansion for Arkham Horror TLC.  

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

@SirA1 I've done a lot of trading of old games to a game store, got rid of most of my magic cards that way. I think that netted me $500 cash and $300 store credit or so. And I've been slowly bringing more games and DVD's/Blu-Ray/Video Games, so I just used the last of my store credit for Marvel Champions, Wrecking Crew Expansion, and when it comes back in Ms Marvel character pack.

I have a few games, Cyclades and Conan, that I'm debating about bringing in to them. I've had both for a bit but I haven't played them because they aren't the type of game I normally get to the table at a board game night. I'm trying to set-up a month gaming club/group with a smaller number of people so we can get games like those and Lords of Hellas, Blood Rage, etc. played more often.

• Like 1

Was able to get Space Base to the table this past week to see if the wife would like it. I only got about an hour tutorial at the con I went to earlier this month but had a good time and I like Engine building games.

2 player takes about an hour to play which is a good length for us. I went off of what was shown me and didn't do a deep rules study to just get a feel for things so we ignored some of the odder ship choices. I got some lucky roles at the end to seal a close victory.

One the plus side the wife did enjoy it and would play again. She likes puzzles and part of the game is figuring out what are your best options to take so she considers it like a puzzle.

I may look into getting the expansions for this now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Space Base is a game that I've heard talked about so much. I feel like it's interesting, but I also don't know how often it would hit my table. Maybe one of the local game stores has a copy that I can try as a demo.

The nice thing about it is there is always something to do. Even when it's not your turn so there is hardly any dead time.

I've heard it is similar to, but better than, Machi Koro if you are looking for a reference.

Edited by SirA1

Zona: Secret of Cherynobel is out for pre-order. I'm strongly considering it, though, I know someone who is getting it, so I might wait a little bit. I loved the demo that I played at GenCon last year. If you're interested in an epic survival game with some story and a good competitive game.