Raiders expected to hire Tom Telesco as GM

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

That's just bizarre.

Would this have something to do with other GM candidates not wanting Pierce forced on them? I wouldn't think so since AP seems really well liked across the league.

Hard to say. I doubt Dodds would've been involved so late in the process if that was an issue. If it is, it'll make it easier to discount player's feelings going forward. I feel AP was the right hire but the process was very bungled. It's now a tradition under Mark. He desperately needs to hire a football VP and stay out of the way. He's a good guy but clearly out of his depth and buys into snake oil (Gruden, McDaniels).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

That's just bizarre.

Would this have something to do with other GM candidates not wanting Pierce forced on them? I wouldn't think so since AP seems really well liked across the league.

Champ Kelly and AP were seen as a package deal, so that definitely isn't the case with him.

It appears that Davis didn't want a rookie HC and rookie GM pairing, which ended both Kelly and Dodds' chances here.

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This guy needs to be removed as an NFL owner

I’ve been saying Mark needs to sell the team for years and 90% of fans defend the dude… something is deeply wrong with our fanbase, they are too loyal to members and players of the organization. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

Some random thoughts:

Raiders are getting a grade A person that will promote a good environment throughout the team.

He is a draft-draft-draft guy, until Staley got some more say with FA in his second year, Telesco only used FA to get low priority FAs or backup level players. 

This has been mentioned already, but through his 11 years, he only signed like 2 or 3 day 3 draft picks to a second contract. 

His draft philosophy has been very conservative, never trading down in 11 years, and his 2nd/3rd rounders have been notorious reaches. 

Don't think I'd consider him a top candidate in this cycle, or even expect him to get hired so soon. 

The super Chargers roster myth, is just that. Some big name players and a consistent black of depth throughout. 

Whish him and his family all the best, but don't think this is a good hire or a good fit. 

• Like 5

Tom Telesco needs to start writing thank you letters or buying gifts for the sports media personalities that continue to pimp out the idea of the stacked Chargers roster. The perpetually underwhelming, underachieving Chargers roster, while ignoring all of its glaring shortcomings. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Some random thoughts:

Raiders are getting a grade A person that will promote a good environment throughout the team.

Didn't Weddle hate him or felt disrespected by him? Don't remember the details

Kyle Emmanuel, Darius Philon and Tyrell Williams all signed with the Raiders after they were part of Telesco's 2015 draft(and UDFA) class. 2018 class Brandon Facyson was one of his UDFA, also has become a Raider, another UDFA Roderic Teamer also joined the Raiders.
We've signed more of his late round/udfa's than he has lol.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Kael said:

Tom Telesco needs to start writing thank you letters or buying gifts for the sports media personalities that continue to pimp out the idea of the stacked Chargers roster. The perpetually underwhelming, underachieving Chargers roster, while ignoring all of its glaring shortcomings. 

Chargers roster was always fools gold on paper, I said it many times. Quinen Johnson has bust written all over him, JC Jackson was a terrible FA signing which I said the first day. 

16 minutes ago, Dodo said:

And Rivers as well, not to Weddle's extent, but moving of veteran players was not always handled with the greatest of touches. 

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

And Rivers as well, not to Weddle's extent, but moving of veteran players was not always handled with the greatest of touches. 

19 minutes ago, Dodo said:

His whole post game Super Bowl was dedicated to Telesco. 😂 Thing was simmering for 15+’years. 

Dunno. 

• Like 2