2024 Free Agency Discussion

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It definitely doesn't help. Especially with guys like Higgins and Pittman, who I like but I don't think are true #1s. I don't think they are Diggs guys who have another level to them that is just being suppressed by situation. You can get away with them as your #1 if you're good at 2 and 3 as well, but I they aren't "that dude".

And if you're talking about using that asset on a guy I think is a high end #2 at full market value, I think I'd rather just gamble the rookie on the under market contract, particularly given how well rookie receivers have been translating in recent years. 

And as far as guys like Higgins / Ayiuk are concerned it also doesn't help that guys like Pittman, Evans, Hollywood, and Ridley are free agents. I think a team would really have to love either one of them to choose to give up a premium pick this year and give them a high end deal when they could just use that pick on a WR or pursue a free agent receiver in the same tier without giving up assets. 

I could see the Titans trading for Higgins though with Callahan coaching the team and a team like the Patriots being interested in Ayiuk to give their rookie QB a big time weapon to lean on.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And as far as guys like Higgins / Ayiuk are concerned it also doesn't help that guys like Pittman, Evans, Hollywood, and Ridley are free agents. I think a team would really have to love either one of them to choose to give up a premium pick this year and give them a high end deal when they could just use that pick on a WR or pursue a free agent receiver in the same tier without giving up assets. 

I could see the Titans trading for Higgins though with Callahan coaching the team and a team like the Patriots being interested in Ayiuk to give their rookie QB a big time weapon to lean on.

I think the Jets would be all over it if they still had their SRP. 

Can’t imagine them giving up a 1st + eat up most of the cap in a deal, then leave the OL for those later picks. And i doubt SF or Cincy are all that excited about future picks. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

FA is going to be pretty lame with all this new cap space + teams re-signing their own dudes.

Wikings being available is enormous though.

Could see it resulting in some really silly overpays. If all the premier guys wind up staying because their teams have the money to offer them reasonable deals, could see a world where you're left with mostly second and third tier guys in free agency, but teams like New England and Washington and Chicago still have a ton of money since they don't have their own premier guys to retain, so you wind up seeing like Tyler Boyd or Chase Young somehow get $15M per year contracts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Not sure how they could have afforded it, tbh 

Texans need to be heavy bidders for Wilkins, he's the sort of interior guy you'd want next to Will Anderson.

You realistically let Jon Greenard walk if it means you bring in Wilkins.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Texans need to be heavy bidders for Wilkins, he's the sort of interior guy you'd want next to Will Anderson.

Those two under Demeco would be scary

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why not retain Greenard and sign Wilkins if they can?

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

He's a Raider

8 hours ago, D82 said:

Why not retain Greenard and sign Wilkins if they can?

Love me some Greenie, but his injury history is downright scary. Last year was the first time he played more than 12 games in a season, his MO is that he misses a lot of time in-season.

If he's willing to sign a 1 year incentive-laden deal to show that he can stay on the field like last year, sure. But after last season when he put up 12.5 sacks? Somebody is going to pay him.

I'd prefer to retain Derek Barnett to take over as the starter opposite Will Anderson - Barnett came alive under the Texans, a full season and he could do well as a complimentary rusher.

I'm starting to mentally justify spending $10mm AAV on this guy. His upside is incredible, his downside could sink an emerging franchise.

• Like 1