Around The League

Jerry

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree, I was wrong on this as I thought at least moving Carr would open up possibility of drafting a new QB qyucikly. Which in the end it will. But being stuck as a mid team and being out of reach of QB is a problem. They really have no end in sight until the wheels come all the way off and they fall into a high draft pick. 

Which is exactly what i was saying when many on here were defending the "anyone but Carr" narrative and now here we are.  Two years of abysmal QB play with no end in sight.  You never move on from a starting QB unless you have an upgrade on the roster or else you get stuck with trash like Jimmy G and Minchew.  That is football 101 stuff that many can't grasp. 

Not only did we move on from Carr those idiots JM/DZ gave Carr all the power resulting in us not only getting nothing but paying him 6M to play in NO.  That is a friable offense in itself which should have got those clowns canned that offseason. 

It's not only drafting a QB quickly, it's also drafting a Qb and having the QB not be a bust which unfortunately many are.  Drafting a QB is very risky and hopefully we can luck out and land a stud.

I'm happy to see you admitted that you were wrong but it's pretty clear at this point that we are going to watch another season of below average football which is exactly what I predicted.  Let's just hope we are bad enough to land a top 5 pick and get our QBOTF who turns out to be better than Mahomes :).  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

This is part of something I have been noticing since 2022. I believe that was the year where total scoring was down for the first time in a very long time. I think the biggest reason is defensive line talent is outpacing offensive line talent. A team like the Dolphins have been able to be an exception to the rule because their offense mitigates trench matchups with quick passing and perimeter speed. Otherwise, elite offensive line teams like the Lions and Eagles will enjoy a big advantage over even average offensive line teams. This is one of the reasons I was a big proponent of drafting Taliese Fuaga (who had a great week 1) and JPJ this year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This is part of something I have been noticing since 2022. I believe that was the year where total scoring was down for the first time in a very long time. I think the biggest reason is defensive line talent is outpacing offensive line talent. A team like the Dolphins have been able to be an exception to the rule because their offense mitigates trench matchups with quick passing and perimeter speed. Otherwise, elite offensive line teams like the Lions and Eagles will enjoy a big advantage over even average offensive line teams. This is one of the reasons I was a big proponent of drafting Taliese Fuaga (who had a great week 1) and JPJ this year.

I believe our equivalent to Fuaga is DJ Glaze. Just gotta figure out where to put him out there and which position 

Would love to see JPJ healthy and out there soon. I’m not sure Kolton will get dominated against many tackles like he was versus Mack. Eventually JPJ will have to replace James

How bad did Cousins, Watson and Daniel Jones, Burrow look yesterday? Minshew played better than those high priced QBs

Rookie QBs looked rough yesterday too. None threw over 200 yards and all looked extremely confused at defensive schemes 

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Which is exactly what i was saying when many on here were defending the "anyone but Carr" narrative and now here we are.  Two years of abysmal QB play with no end in sight.  You never move on from a starting QB unless you have an upgrade on the roster or else you get stuck with trash like Jimmy G and Minchew.  That is football 101 stuff that many can't grasp. 

Not only did we move on from Carr those idiots JM/DZ gave Carr all the power resulting in us not only getting nothing but paying him 6M to play in NO.  That is a friable offense in itself which should have got those clowns canned that offseason. 

It's not only drafting a QB quickly, it's also drafting a Qb and having the QB not be a bust which unfortunately many are.  Drafting a QB is very risky and hopefully we can luck out and land a stud.

I'm happy to see you admitted that you were wrong but it's pretty clear at this point that we are going to watch another season of below average football which is exactly what I predicted.  Let's just hope we are bad enough to land a top 5 pick and get our QBOTF who turns out to be better than Mahomes :).  

Sure, but still not a fan of paying an average QB elite money at the sake of your team. You're never winning a Super Bowl with a Carr level QB. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sure, but still not a fan of paying an average QB elite money at the sake of your team. You're never winning a Super Bowl with a Carr level QB. 

The Raider teams in years past did Carr zero favors.  Constant coaching turnover, abysmal rosters with no weapons and bottom three D's.  It's pretty damn hard for any Qb to consistently win under those circumstances.  

At this point in his career it is unlikely he will win a SB but if you take a QB like Carr in his mid 20's and surround him with a very good Oline, some weapons and a top tier D he easily could make a deep playoff run.  Unfortunately we were never able to do that....

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I believe our equivalent to Fuaga is DJ Glaze. Just gotta figure out where to put him out there and which position 

Would love to see JPJ healthy and out there soon. I’m not sure Kolton will get dominated against many tackles like he was versus Mack. Eventually JPJ will have to replace James

There is nothing I have seen from Glaze that makes me think he's equivalent to Fuaga. I think he can play, but I'm not convinced he's a difference making tackle.

16 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

How bad did Cousins, Watson and Daniel Jones, Burrow look yesterday? Minshew played better than those high priced QBs

Rookie QBs looked rough yesterday too. None threw over 200 yards and all looked extremely confused at defensive schemes 

The first four weeks of the season are always wacky. There are huge disparities in team preparedness that tends to even out during the season. Teams with incumbent head coaches, offensive coordinators, and/or starting quarterbacks would seem to have an advantage.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree, I was wrong on this as I thought at least moving Carr would open up possibility of drafting a new QB qyucikly. Which in the end it will. But being stuck as a mid team and being out of reach of QB is a problem. They really have no end in sight until the wheels come all the way off and they fall into a high draft pick. 

Honestly, thats all I was saying back then. It turned into a "You're a Carr stan" thing by many on here but I think that most people(or at least I can speak for myself) were simply saying instead of cutting Carr and making stupid decisions out of panic mode, lets wait until we're in position to actually draft some better while in the meantime drafting and signing affectively to improve the football team. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Honestly, thats all I was saying back then. It turned into a "You're a Carr stan" thing by many on here but I think that most people(or at least I can speak for myself) were simply saying instead of cutting Carr and making stupid decision out of panic mode, lets wait until we're in position to actually draft some better while in the meantime drafting and signing affectively to improve the football team. 

I guess my thing with waiting was with Carr we would be in purgatory regarding draft position. I figured it would take a 3- 4 win season to get the “ guy “ in theory.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

I guess my thing with waiting was with Carr we would be in purgatory regarding draft position. I figured it would take a 3- 4 win season to get the “ guy “ in theory.

Carr did end up being a fall guy, as others have said this team drafted poorly for a decade. Carr had issues of his own but even the biggest haters said he was at worst in that 20 range of QBs. The issue was when Carr was here they weren’t taking shots at a QB or attempting to upgrade in a serious way. You have to take the risk and hope it plays out like Stroud and not Young. Best case was to have Carr be a bridge. Second was move on with another bridge and rookie. They just chose Jimmy and Aiden. Need to reset again and take another shot until it’s right. 

Personally I don’t think Carr should have prevented us from trading up to get a guy all those years. You don’t need to be the worst team to get a QB. Jordan Love, Hurts, Lamar. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Carr did end up being a fall guy, as others have said this team drafted poorly for a decade. Carr had issues of his own but even the biggest haters said he was at worst in that 20 range of QBs. The issue was when Carr was here they weren’t taking shots at a QB or attempting to upgrade in a serious way. You have to take the risk and hope it plays out like Stroud and not Young. Best case was to have Carr be a bridge. Second was move on with another bridge and rookie. They just chose Jimmy and Aiden. Need to reset again and take another shot until it’s right. 

Personally I don’t think Carr should have prevented us from trading up to get a guy all those years. You don’t need to be the worst team to get a QB. Jordan Love, Hurts, Lamar. 

This is my beef. Carr was a mid QB for years. The Raiders had a ton of draft capital to secure a QB of their choosing. Instead they opted to build around Carr and ultimately failed at that too. Franchise feels cursed sometimes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

This is my beef. Carr was a mid QB for years. The Raiders had a ton of draft capital to secure a QB of their choosing. Instead they opted to build around Carr and ultimately failed at that too. Franchise feels cursed sometimes. 

Yeah it’s all bad. Pick a defensive lineman to build the trenches sounds good, then you pick Ferrell and Tyree. Pick an offensive lineman, you pick Leatherwood. 

The drafting is horrendously bad but it doesn’t make the strategy of getting an elite QB at all cost and building the trenches wrong. 

Just hope at some point we luck into the next McVay or Stroud and they are so good this franchise can’t help but turn it around. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The Shanahan offense predictably remains plug, play and produce for no name RBs despite missing CMC. 

I hate the 9ers but man are they the gold standard of the league in my opinion.  If not for the Chiefs with Reid and Mahomes they would have at least two more SB's.

Shanahan is a top three coach in the NFL, his schemes are stellar, they draft well, retain quality talent, get good value in FA and have built the team from the inside out.   They play tough football the right way.  

I really wish we could take a page out of their playbook in multiple areas.  We are a joke and they are a very well ran organization. 

We need a legit HC and have to start to find value in the draft to build a solid core.  A young QB would be massive but they don't just grow on trees...

• Like 1