Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, good for Wyatt, good for Kraft, fine for Kenny, not ideal for Slaton but you need run plugs.  Not sure what to make of Wooden yet.

Kraft making the switch to defense?

I think Slatons gonna have a nice big role for Haf man. 

Wooden has to kick back to the EDGE group and situational rusher inside. which is fine because his double work was atrocious anyways. 

I dont worry about our DL transitioning, they have homes. except if Haf wants Kenny to play 1T plug again. hate that for me, he can do it for sure, but the stats will drop and there's gonna be more "is kenny even good" posts.. meanwhile he's killing his job.

• Like 2

Hafleys first call needs to be to Preston Smith.  Smith needs to know the coverages as a CB1.   Press coverage or straight backpeddle.  He's gotta start working on "The Twitch". 😁

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 4

beatin to the tweet.

ILB and SNickel are the most interesting positions in the offseason i think.

reasonably high amount of 0 coverage. he runs like a 4-4 type of look with the Strong safety walking up into and OLB spot and then he just fires one of those backers as a 5th rusher which is kind fun. 

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

Nepotism for sure.  Still, there are other guys within the MLF/Shanahan world, so must be some qualities.  The fact that his college team was bad and got worse under his leadership is a reminder that coaches coach but players play, and if your players aren't good what good is a coach?  One of the links suggested he might have been on the firing block at BC.  

I wonder how much his college coaching philosophy will drive his pro coaching ideas?  Smart guys change lots of things.  

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, good for Wyatt, good for Kraft, fine for Kenny, not ideal for Slaton but you need run plugs.  Not sure what to make of Wooden yet.

Clark, Wyatt, Brooks can be really nice 1 gap IDL.  I don’t think Slaton is going to suffer much.  Wooden is more unknown.  Ford might have more value

Enough with the nepotism s*** . The NFL is a small fraternity of people, where relationships matter a ton . Of course they’re going to lean towards guys they know or their other coach friends know. Let’s not use it as a negative , it’s better MLF has more information about him. 

• Like 2

If what you guys are posting about his scheme ideas is real, this would seem like a pretty dramatic change in philosophy.  We'll see whether that's for better or for worse.  

I wonder how much X+O MLF asked guys about.  MLF has been committed to the soft zone coverage and Fangio-type scheme for a while.  To some degree, I'd think interviewing a bundle of guys would be an opportunity for each of them to discuss the pros and cons of different schemes.  Maybe just listening to a bundle of share minds talk defense helped him to sort through strengths and weaknesses of different approaches.   

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Clark, Wyatt, Brooks can be really nice 1 gap IDL.  I don’t think Slaton is going to suffer much.  Wooden is more unknown.  Ford might have more value

hes not always 1 gapping though. he 1 gaps a hell of a lot less than Barry did. This is for sure a "OTBLB makes the plays" type defense. Where Barry was a "break the pocket any way you can" type guy

Like put Slaton in for #96 (Horsley guy) when you watch, he'll be fine.

Edited by HighCalebR

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Enough with the nepotism s*** . The NFL is a small fraternity of people, where relationships matter a ton . Of course they’re going to lean towards guys they know or their other coach friends know. Let’s not use it as a negative , it’s better MLF has more information about him. 

Yup.  In 2-3 years, if Hafley is good, nobody will care.  If he sucks, people will care.

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

....Of course they’re going to lean towards guys they know or their other coach friends know. Let’s not use it as a negative , it’s better MLF has more information about him. 

Yes.  Lots of coaches are huge egos with big personalities.  We've seen a number of coaches who were highly regarded turn into kinda jerks or paranoids.  Dabol, Saleh.  Knowing a guy's character is advantageous.