Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

this is where I land, too. However, I don't think Savage is anything like Collins, HHCD or Sanders.

his best spot is probably slot DB where he's not asked often to tackle. I'm not sure that's actually a position in the NFL, though.

Find that NFL sweet spot where a guy doesnt have to tackle :)

Savage is pretty bad .. I'd move on.  Just can't count on that guy.

As for the LaFleur and Hafley .. heard mixed reports on our assistant coaches.  First report was that all or most of our assistant coaches are expected back because they have a year remaining on their deals, but the latest report seems to be that our assistants were told they could search out new opportunities.  Hopefully there's some turnover there.  Mike Wahle mentioned bringing in a guy like Kris Kocurek, Dline coach from the Niners.  Probably would have to add run game coordinator to his job duties to get him out of San Fran, but that might be a nice upgrade.  It's probably time for Jerry Montgomery to move on elsewhere.

When Savage was injured this year, there were a lot of wide open receivers. When he came back things tightened up. I think it was MLF himself who said about Savage, he makes sure everyone is lined up right for the coverage called, and everyone knows his responsibility in that coverage. There's a lot of value to that alone. If Haf wants to bail on Savage for a different body type, the new guy had better be able to do that for starters.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Savage is pretty bad .. I'd move on.  Just can't count on that guy.

As for the LaFleur and Hafley .. heard mixed reports on our assistant coaches.  First report was that all or most of our assistant coaches are expected back because they have a year remaining on their deals, but the latest report seems to be that our assistants were told they could search out new opportunities.  Hopefully there's some turnover there.  Mike Wahle mentioned bringing in a guy like Kris Kocurek, Dline coach from the Niners.  Probably would have to add run game coordinator to his job duties to get him out of San Fran, but that might be a nice upgrade.  It's probably time for Jerry Montgomery to move on elsewhere.

Pretty bad? Are we watching the same game here? 

Sure Savage has flaws but to say he's "pretty bad" is a rather trash assessment of him. Can't count on him? He's been rather healthy since arriving in GB other than this past season with only playing 10 games in the regular season. I wouldn't be so quick to cut ties with him unless you've got a another solid and definitive answer to replace him, especially with the idea or possibility of playing more one high this coming year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zing said:

Pretty bad? Are we watching the same game here? 

Sure Savage has flaws but to say he's "pretty bad" is a rather trash assessment of him. Can't count on him? He's been rather healthy since arriving in GB other than this past season with only playing 10 games in the regular season. I wouldn't be so quick to cut ties with him unless you've got a another solid and definitive answer to replace him, especially with the idea or possibility of playing more one high this coming year. 

He was mediocre this season, and subpar the previous two seasons.  Whenever he's been asked to cover top TE's he's failed horrifically.  He's not a good tackler.  He drops picks.  Just not seeing him as I guy I'd want to sign up for more of.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

When Savage was injured this year, there were a lot of wide open receivers. When he came back things tightened up. I think it was MLF himself who said about Savage, he makes sure everyone is lined up right for the coverage called, and everyone knows his responsibility in that coverage. There's a lot of value to that alone. If Haf wants to bail on Savage for a different body type, the new guy had better be able to do that for starters.

According to the Richard Sherman quote, Hafly has the ability to make it easy to understand what you are supposed to do. Hopefully in the future, the DBs won't need to rely on Savage to tell them where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do.

That being said, I think Savage will be back and criticism of his play has been exaggerated.  He sure appeared to be an ascending player in his 2nd year but has not built on that.

I recall something Wahl said earlier this year. That you have allow for players to have opportunities to make big plays. Constant 'Dont screw up' mode robs players of having fun. Let them play within a system, but let them a few shots each per game to make a play. And I understand Savage posted some emojis signifying praying and elation as if the Hafly is the answer to his prayers.  I think that the entire defense may look more round after appearing flat in a few games this year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

According to the Richard Sherman quote, Hafly has the ability to make it easy to understand what you are supposed to do. Hopefully in the future, the DBs won't need to rely on Savage to tell them where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do.

That being said, I think Savage will be back and criticism of his play has been exaggerated.  He sure appeared to be an ascending player in his 2nd year but has not built on that.

I recall something Wahl said earlier this year. That you have allow for players to have opportunities to make big plays. Constant 'Dont screw up' mode robs players of having fun. Let them play within a system, but let them a few shots each per game to make a play. And I understand Savage posted some emojis signifying praying and elation as if the Hafly is the answer to his prayers.  I think that the entire defense may look more round after appearing flat in a few games this year.

PFF grades the past three years were 66.3, 47.5, and 58.5.  The guy was even benched for a stretch.  I'll let Gute, LaFleur and Hafley decide what kind of a fit he is for whatever new scheme they come up with.  Perhaps he was a fish out of water under Barry.

• Like 1

First time round LaFleur chose a familiar face with experience in Barry over an inexperienced and unproven candidate in Evero.

There were some rumors, completely unverified of course, that LaFLeur later regretted not being braver and going with Evero. At that time circumstances were different, Rodgers was still here and playing at an extremely high level and the Packers were trying to reach the superbowl so it made sense to go for experience to handle all the big egos in the dressing room.

Fast forward three years later, LaFleur chose a well vetted candidate with experience in Hafley over an inexperienced and unproven candiate in Parker.

On the surface it looks like LaFleur has repeated his mistake but circumstances are different now. Love is now the QB and we have a very young roster. Again experience wins out as the young roster need an experienced head to guide them.

I'm not saying Hafley is the wrong hire, I actually somewhat like it. 

But It does makes me wonder when is it the right time to have an inexperienced coordinator? Young roster....go for experience, aiming for superbowls....go for experience.

If anything I would argue having a young coordinator with a young roster is the best time to do it so as they can grow and learn together.

Edited by Chili

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

First time round LaFleur chose a familiar face with experience in Barry over an inexperienced and unproven candidate in Evero.

There were some rumors, completely unverified of course, that LaFLeur later regretted not being braver and going with Evero. At that time circumstances were different, Rodgers was still here and playing at an extremely high level and the Packers were trying to reach the superbowl so it made sense to go for experience to handle all the big egos in the dressing room.

Fast forward three years later, LaFleur chose a well vetted candidate with experience in Hafley over an inexperienced and unproven candiate in Parker.

On the surface it looks like LaFleur has repeated his mistake but circumstances are different now. Love is now the QB and we have a very young roster. Again experience wins out as the young roster need an experienced head to guide them.

But It does makes me wonder when is it the right time to have an inexperienced coordinator? Young roster....go for experience, aiming for superbowls....go for experience.

If anything I would argue having a young coordinator with a young roster is the best time to do it so as they can grow and learn together.

What experience does Hafley have calling plays in the NFL ? I would not call Hafley an experienced candidate in this league. He just has gone through the weekly process of developing game plans/practice plans/callsheets the last 5 years and obviously more years coaching in general, but he's inexperienced.

This doesn't correlate whatsoever to the Barry hire. 

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

MacBot claiming to be one of the only people disappointed with the Barry hire is so MacBot.

Mazbot calling out MacBots BS all the time is the far superior bot.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What experience does Hafley have calling plays in the NFL ? I would not call Hafley an experienced candidate in this league. He just has gone through the weekly process of developing game plans/practice plans/callsheets the last 5 years and obviously more years coaching in general, but he's inexperienced.

This doesn't correlate whatsoever to the Barry hire. 

Most new coordinators don't have experience calling plays so that excuse is pretty weak imo.

Hafley was a college coordinator and a head coach. That's experience.

Barry was previously an nfl coordinator. That's experience.

The highest Evero and Parker got were position coach level at the time of their interviews.

Edited by Chili

30 minutes ago, Chili said:

Hafley is only 44 yrs old? Barry failed a DC everywhere he went. Hafley led OSU to the #1 defense in the country. I don't see the similarities at all.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I'm really curious to see what kinda contract Savage gets

will be interesting how the league views his time under Barry

almost no safeties are getting good contracts in free agency.  I would expect Savage does not get a multi year deal.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

this is just people not knowing how to play the defense called, lack of preparation, and a symptom of bad players and bad coaching.

If it takes a bad player to make your good players line up correctly, that's a coaching and preparation problem.

I think the defense had a whole host of problems, and I'm not going to assign causality to the random savage injury with what you anecdotally observed.

Savage is a solid role player playing starter snaps.  It's fine if he's the worst player on your team, but you can't afford to pay these type of players significant money.  Contract offer from me today - 1 year, 2M with 4M in ULTBE incentives related to the pro bowl, interceptions, interception TDs, and other foney balogna stuff that we all know he'll never achieve.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Norm said:

Mazbot calling out MacBots BS all the time is the far superior bot.

Anybody know how to Lazarus the old Barry gets hired thread so we can read all the comments?  I searched for it, but couldn't find it.  Would be interesting to see.

• Like 1