Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

13 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Nubin is a better prospect than Bullock............IF he can handle the speed part of single high. If his speed is really a 4.6 40, that's marginal.

All the speed in the world doesn't help if you have poor instincts and take bad angles to the ball carrier.  We've seen enough of that type to be very hesitant to draft them high.

• Like 1

I listened to the Hafley press conference for a second time.  Fun.  Seems like a smart guy.  Lots of energy, quick communicator and processed questions quickly.  Seemed like a nice guy with an appreciation for the people/relationship part of coaching.  I liked the valuation of energy and hustle, I hope that doesn't come at the expense of game-planning and X's and O's.  Kind of funny, he seemed kind of puzzled/surprised that fans and media are obsessed with press coverage.  

Very common for a defense to improve significantly under a new coordinator.  I expect that will happen next year.  I think there are pragmatic reasons for that.

1. Reversion to the mean.  Guys get fired after bad seasons.  Natural reversion to the mean should improve.
  2. Failure seasons often involve injuries.  If Hafley comes into the season with Jaire and Stokes healthy, and a LB healthier than Campbell, this defense should improve, significantly. 
  3. Investment of resources.  After a bad defensive season, management pours resources in.  We'll probably spend FA for a variably good safety, maybe a linebacker too?  Draft choices will be poured into defense.  D will get at least 3 top-100 picks, maybe even 4.  
  4. Internal development.  We've got a lot of young players that should improve.  VanNess, Wyatt, Quay, Valentine, Stokes, Wooden, should just get better with another year.  
  5. New voice.  Human nature, you listen to a new voice with some new messages.  
  6. Fresh ideas.  If you've had the same DC and position coach for a couple of years, you've probably already heard their best ideas.  Fresh coaches with some fresh eyes for seeing ways you can get better, and fresh ways of explaining them, can often help you. 
  • Like 2

Finally watched the much ballyhooed Campanile Hard Knocks speech. 

What a tool. I can't imagine any grown person with an IQ in the double digits doing anything other than rolling their eyes and laughing at him which it seemed like the whole room was doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

What a tool. I can't imagine any grown person with an IQ in the double digits doing anything other than rolling their eyes and laughing at him which it seemed like the whole room was doing. 

The players were legit eating movie theater candy while watching him say that. You can't get hyped while popping Junior Mints. I laughed. 

Look, I imagine that that kind of talk does hype some guys up. When they have pads on. When they're hitting. When you're sitting in front of a powerpoint, it's cheese city. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

The players were legit eating movie theater candy while watching him say that. You can't get hyped while popping Junior Mints. I laughed. 

Look, I imagine that that kind of talk does hype some guys up. When they have pads on. When they're hitting. When you're sitting in front of a powerpoint, it's cheese city. 

I was trying to think of a good comparison.

He sounds like "The Situation" trying to hype up the cast of Jersey Shore to hit up the Coney Island boardwalk at 3 in the afternoon on a Tuesday.

• Like 4

On 2/26/2024 at 9:03 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Whether he is or is not, I am going to pretend that this is the son of Hacksaw Jim Duggan!   HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQblDIunIVjr-DCoVOmzOO

First day at team meetings, starts by quietly handing out 2x4s to the whole defense.  “Gentlemen, today we are going to talk about security and what you are willing to do to achieve it.”

19 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I read that it was choreographed specially for the hard knock viewing, and from the reaction of most of the players, I believe it, I expect some of the language and his actions might happen in some team meetings, but the whole of it was way over the top,

• Like 1

JerseyAl found a great description of how a “vision & break” zone coverage differs from a “match” zone coverage. It describes the scheme that gives more context to the phrases that Hafley uses when he describes his defense.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/confessions-of-a-polluted-mindset-everybodys-talkin-at-me-256

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2020/02/112480/film-study-why-ohio-state-prefers-a-vision-and-break-style-of-zone-coverage?amp

• Like 2