Week 14 GDT: Titans @ 49ers

Forge

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

Hah I had the same idea. I wonder if the crowd will chant JIMMMY, JIMMMMY or Gara-polo when we make that 4th quarter comeback this week. 

You are the official funnyman of this forum. Make me laugh, funnyman. 

Im feeling Garoptimistic? 

A month ago, I couldnt give away tickets. Now two people who turned down tickets during the year have asked if I have any extras this week. NOPE

Garopptimistic or Garoppo-high?

Can't wait to get competitive again so fans everywhere will complain about Kyle's playcalling and Saleh's scheme. Only bad thing about being successful in this day and age. Folks being super critical the moment you hit a bump in the road. Like some Eagles fans pissed when they lost that road game to Seattle.

We will be competitive alot sooner than ppl think. A QB like JG can mask alot of deficiencies with his play. Even with just slight improvements to the O-Line and WRs and this could be a top 10 offense next year if we shore up the running game. You put bonafide talent around him and he could have the type of season that wins a MVP in a couple of years.  As talented as Russell Wilson is, with Shanny by his side, he could be the best QB in the division as early as next year. Goff has looked great with McVay but he's still has flaws/holes in his game. JG is very polished from the pocket and he does some high-level things in terms of recognition and throws I dont see from other QBs in this division. Sky's the limit for him in this offense once he gets fully integrated in this scheme. 

With Jimmy, I agree we can be competitive a lot sooner than people think. But it won't be easy. Our division is shaping up to be really good for many years. Four pretty good defenses, possibly 3 potential elite QBs (or rather, QB/coach combos). This means that year in and year out, a pretty good team with a great QB will have to miss the playoffs. The future will be very entertaining.

25 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

With Jimmy, I agree we can be competitive a lot sooner than people think. But it won't be easy. Our division is shaping up to be really good for many years. Four pretty good defenses, possibly 3 potential elite QBs (or rather, QB/coach combos). This means that year in and year out, a pretty good team with a great QB will have to miss the playoffs. The future will be very entertaining.

Very true. But I'm a firm believer in 'steel sharpens steel' in terms of competition. If the NFC WEST is good enough to have 3 teams make the playoffs every year then it will bear fruit. Its possible to beat up on the rest of the league and battle it out amongst our divisional foes every year for the NFCW title. I know as far as the future, no division seems as ripe with young QB talent as ours. The South still has Cam, Brees, and Ryan as stalwarts. But I think the future returns from Goff, JG, and Wilson can surpass them. None of those guys have even begun to hit their stride yet.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Very true. But I'm a firm believer in 'steel sharpens steel' in terms of competition. If the NFC WEST is good enough to have 3 teams make the playoffs every year then it will bear fruit. Its possible to beat up on the rest of the league and battle it out amongst our divisional foes every year for the NFCW title. I know as far as the future, no division seems as ripe with young QB talent as ours. The South still has Cam, Brees, and Ryan as stalwarts. But I think the future returns from Goff, JG, and Wilson can surpass them. None of those guys have even begun to hit their stride yet.

If Wilson is an MVP candidate, super bowl winner and multiple pro bowler and hasn't begun to hit his stride yet, we are all screwed in this division lol. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If Wilson is an MVP candidate, super bowl winner and multiple pro bowler and hasn't begun to hit his stride yet, we are all screwed in this division lol. 

Wilson still has alot room to grow as a pocket passer for sure. Too much 'sandlot' in his game still but its working so the question is will he have the discipline and the wherewithal to continue to work on that aspect of his game.

9 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

We will be competitive alot sooner than ppl think. A QB like JG can mask alot of deficiencies with his play. Even with just slight improvements to the O-Line and WRs and this could be a top 10 offense next year if we shore up the running game. You put bonafide talent around him and he could have the type of season that wins a MVP in a couple of years.  As talented as Russell Wilson is, with Shanny by his side, he could be the best QB in the division as early as next year. Goff has looked great with McVay but he's still has flaws/holes in his game. JG is very polished from the pocket and he does some high-level things in terms of recognition and throws I dont see from other QBs in this division. Sky's the limit for him in this offense once he gets fully integrated in this scheme. 

I still want to see some quality shots down the field from Jimmy. Seems like he really excels in the intermediate area with throws of 10 to 15 yards inside the numbers. I think there is a lot of room for improvement with intermediate to deep throws on the perimeter though. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I still want to see some quality shots down the field from Jimmy. Seems like he really excels in the intermediate area with throws of 10 to 15 yards inside the numbers. I think there is a lot of room for improvement with intermediate to deep throws on the perimeter though. 

Brady was like that when he started off as well, then developped his deep ball over the years. I think it's a good thing for a young QB to master the short and intermediate first. Learn to beat the pressure, draw in the safeties, then expand and learn to take the top of defenses. Maybe that's something he'll really work on during the offseason. The priority just hasn't been there since he got here.

59 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Brady was like that when he started off as well, then developped his deep ball over the years. I think it's a good thing for a young QB to master the short and intermediate first. Learn to beat the pressure, draw in the safeties, then expand and learn to take the top of defenses. Maybe that's something he'll really work on during the offseason. The priority just hasn't been there since he got here.

This is from Brady's first year starting. Second year in the NFL. Looks pretty good to me.

JI4hV3m.gif

Now that's just one play. Jimmy has barely played. But that is the kind of throw I'm talking about that I'd like to see. 

I'm basing it off the reputation Brady had early on in his career. He was more of a dink and dunker at first. Of course, you'll find a 90 yard pass play just to make me look bad :P But really, he had a yard per attempt under 7 for the first 3-4 years of his starting career, and was never really considered a threat to throw it deep, but that came with the offense. When he got Randy Moss, then he started throwing it deep more, because he had a guy who could catch it. Who knows if he could have done it consistently as a first year starter, though. So, did he throw short because he didn't have deep targets, or was he originally less efficient at it?

And that one play doesn't mean much. CJ Beathard has had a couple of deep passes go for touchdowns this year, but I wouldn't call him a good deep passer. His deep throws were mostly painful to watch. But yeah, Jimmy should try to push one or two deep every game. We have Goodwin. Maybe he doesn't catch it, maybe he does. It just never hurts to take a shot deep every now and then.

48 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm basing it off the reputation Brady had early on in his career. He was more of a dink and dunker at first. Of course, you'll find a 90 yard pass play just to make me look bad :P But really, he had a yard per attempt under 7 for the first 3-4 years of his starting career, and was never really considered a threat to throw it deep, but that came with the offense. When he got Randy Moss, then he started throwing it deep more, because he had a guy who could catch it. Who knows if he could have done it consistently as a first year starter, though. So, did he throw short because he didn't have deep targets, or was he originally less efficient at it?

And that one play doesn't mean much. CJ Beathard has had a couple of deep passes go for touchdowns this year, but I wouldn't call him a good deep passer. His deep throws were mostly painful to watch. But yeah, Jimmy should try to push one or two deep every game. We have Goodwin. Maybe he doesn't catch it, maybe he does. It just never hurts to take a shot deep every now and then.

Yea Brady definitely developed his deep ball acumen and overall big play ability later on. Having Moss still in his prime for some of those first years with McDainels certainly helped accelerate his deep ball development. Let's not forget Brady won his first 3 SBs riding the backs of Belichick's defenses, not his wizardry from the pocket which helped him capture his last two.  

Like I've said before, I think JG will be a guy who will thrive between the numbers until his deep touch develops. Have no problem with that,  as I've seen other QBs develop that part of their game later. Im with you, in that developing your game between the hashes first tends to work out better in the long run. 

Archived