Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

1 hour ago, Hopper15 said:

Well this definitely proves Kyle didn't know the OT rules. Wow

This one looks brutal. Couldn't give a crap if juice knows the rules. The coach not knowing the rules would be unforgivable because how can you make accurate decisions? After the game he also said talked about getting the ball first in actual sudden death, but he may have been referring to each team kicking a field goal. 

This clip on its own is pretty damning because I don't know what else he could be talking about when he adds "in the end", but I also don't know if he's intending it like the way it's being portrayed. 

Bottom line: if shanny didn't know, brutal and unforgivable. 

If shanny did know, than I just don't care about the juice stuff, or mahomes saying they would have went for 2, etc. Shanny and co decided on a strategy. I don't necessarily agree with it (I always want the ball second in overtime, though I admit there are reasons you could take the ball first such as to give your defense a rest)

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Think trading Aiyuk is more likely than Deebo. And honestly while i think Aiyuk is great he also is probably the most replacable in terms of type and role in this offense.

The player Aiyuk is now can not be replaced unless they are getting a Stefon Diggs in return. And with his attitude/contract, I'm good

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

So, Brock Purdy was under pressure damn near 50% of the time. Completely unfeasible pressure rate. With Kittle and Deebo going out hurt temporarily. And the running game was screwed. Felt he did the best he could in real time and it looks better with rewatch. Dude just straight up did not have the horses after the injuries where Burford was abject poo and McKivitz was regular poo. Similar on defense where the injury to Greenlaw brought even more Oren Burks on the field. Said before the game that they'd go 2 TE to get Burks on the field and exploit him and they didn't need to switch personnel to murder Burks in real time. Thought we were the better team for most of the first half and ignoring that these injuries happened removes some critical context.

Not to take anything away from Mahomes and the Chiefs; we were lucky to hang on as long as we did in the second half when we just clearly were moving the ball worse than they were and were hanging on to Trent + McCaffrey left side runs and Purdy miracle plays. And injuries are a part of the game for an older team - we were fortunate to keep our older vital, vital pieces like McCaffery and Trent for most of the season. But these things mattered.

I know that I'm a Brock apologist, but I do feel that his skill in handling bad offensive line situations and making them look tenable means that he gets very little of the credit that he deserves when the offensive line situation would render just about every other quarterback completely useless.

50% sounds about right. I was pretty sure the numbers were going to be rough in that regard. Hell, 9 unblocked pressures from jump was already like a 25% pressure rate. 

And the thing is that mentally, I think that purdy is one of the best in dealing with pressure. He understands it, he's composed, etc. But when he's under pressure and when the pocket constricts around him,  his lack of physical traits really shows up. You see a lot of balls float, some wonky placement, etc. So when he's under pressure consistently, I think it's hard for him to be able to make a special play unless he can get away and get a clear lane somehow. They have to fix that line 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

50% sounds about right. I was pretty sure the numbers were going to be rough in that regard. Hell, 9 unblocked pressures from jump was already like a 25% pressure rate. 

And the thing is that mentally, I think that purdy is one of the best in dealing with pressure. He understands it, he's composed, etc. But when he's under pressure and when the pocket constricts around him,  his lack of physical traits really shows up. You see a lot of balls float, some wonky placement, etc. So when he's under pressure consistently, I think it's hard for him to be able to make a special play unless he can get away and get a clear lane somehow. They have to fix that line 

Yeah, the only special plays that he makes when he's under pressure are largely when he flushes right up thru the pocket (Green Bay and Dallas big Kittle TDs). Beyond that, he's just scrapping to survive. Also kills his one true superpower - he might be the best anticipator of over the middle throws more than 10 yards down the field in the world.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, adamq said:

The player Aiyuk is now can not be replaced unless they are getting a Stefon Diggs in return. And with his attitude/contract, I'm good

And i am not saying he can be. But the role Aiyuk plays in our offense is easier to replace than say find a new Deebo or Kittle. Those two have unique skills that we take full advantage of. Aiyuk is more in line with other top receivers and probably a better WR than Deebo ever has been. But as a football player and in terms of unique traits Deebo is way more special and in the hands of someone like Kyle thats worth a ton. A new contract for Aiyuk would be around 25 aav if i had to guess. And i am not sure his role in this offense is worth that at this point. That doesn't make Aiyuk a bad player or someone we can easily replace one on one but if there is a top level piece on this offense that i think is most likely to get traded its Aiyuk based on his extention coming up, value for other teams and his role on this team.

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

And i am not saying he can be. But the role Aiyuk plays in our offense is easier to replace than say find a new Deebo or Kittle. Those two have unique skills that we take full advantage of. Aiyuk is more in line with other top receivers and probably a better WR than Deebo ever has been. But as a football player and in terms of unique traits Deebo is way more special and in the hands of someone like Kyle thats worth a ton. A new contract for Aiyuk would be around 25 aav if i had to guess. And i am not sure his role in this offense is worth that at this point. That doesn't make Aiyuk a bad player or someone we can easily replace one on one but if there is a top level piece on this offense that i think is most likely to get traded its Aiyuk based on his extention coming up, value for other teams and his role on this team.

I get where you're coming from but I'd rather lock up BA amd move on from Kittle or Deebo next year. He has been the #1 receiver on this team for 2 years now, is never injured, and only keeps getting better. Deebo and Kittle have reached their peak and will be on the dowslide. And your only chance of replacing Aiyuk is with a rookie, there's not even anyone in FA worth going hard after. Calvin Ridley will get paid by someone. Always injured Curtis Samuel maybe? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, adamq said:

I get where you're coming from but I'd rather lock up BA amd move on from Kittle or Deebo next year. He has been the #1 receiver on this team for 2 years now, is never injured, and only keeps getting better. Deebo and Kittle have reached their peak and will be on the dowslide. And your only chance of replacing Aiyuk is with a rookie, there's not even anyone in FA worth going hard after. Calvin Ridley will get paid by someone. Always injured Curtis Samuel maybe? 

Oh for sure and thats the thing i think it basically comes down to that choice. The post i responded to was about suprise trades and with the team as it is i think Aiyuk is most likely to get the Buckner treatment where they might not feel the money is worth it and if you get a early first for him it would be really tempting to me. But thats coming from someone that doesn't really believe you need a top level WR in this offense. What you really need is having unique skillsets(which then makes it hard to replace them if one goes down) and that comes in all shapes and sizes. I was one of the biggest supporters for trading Deebo 2 years ago and i am kind of in the same camp with Aiyuk. Not because they are not good just because i don't think any receiver is worth that much capspace. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Oh for sure and thats the thing i think it basically comes down to that choice. The post i responded to was about suprise trades and with the team as it is i think Aiyuk is most likely to get the Buckner treatment where they might not feel the money is worth it and if you get a early first for him it would be really tempting to me. But thats coming from someone that doesn't really believe you need a top level WR in this offense. What you really need is having unique skillsets(which then makes it hard to replace them if one goes down) and that comes in all shapes and sizes. I was one of the biggest supporters for trading Deebo 2 years ago and i am kind of in the same camp with Aiyuk. Not because they are not good just because i don't think any receiver is worth that much capspace. 

If BA gets the Buckner treatment 1: I want Fuaga, 2: I want Malik Washington in the second round even if his stock rises to the point where we need a trade up.

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

If BA gets the Buckner treatment 1: I want Fuaga, 2: I want Malik Washington in the second round even if his stock rises to the point where we need a trade up.

The problem is that there's not options in that 13 area imo. Maybe Indy again? Do they trade 15 for Aiyuk? 

Vegas, Saints, Seattle shouldn't  have a ton of interest. 

Jax at 17 makes sense, but kind of uninspiring. I almost feel like I'd rather take a pick in the upper 20s with some added round 3 picks than take 17. 

18-22 shouldn't have a ton of interest 

• Like 1

Mentioned this in the Gen thread about the decision, but I think Shanahan was right to want the ball first, but should have committed at that point to finishing the drive with a TD+2. If Reid gets the ball first and scores, he'd be going for two himself to make sure Kyle can't win before sudden death, and if you give Mahomes the ball first in sudden death that's curtains for you. Assuming your gassed and banged up defense won't be able to stop him and that your two MVP finalists will have to make sure he never gets the chance to win it, first by getting 8 and then by driving down the field for a FG in sudden death before he can respond, is your best bet, and going first is the only way that's guaranteed. 

19 hours ago, adamq said:

He would not have gotten this team to those super bowls. Mac is easily worse than Purdy, but just as good as Jimmy g. And before you go there, it's BBs fault those teams didn't have weapons for Mac. Kyle brought in CMC. Developed deebo, aiyuk, and kittle.

Bill Belichick would absolutely take these 49ers teams to the Super Bowl. He doesn't have Mac Jones here. He has taken many more teams with less talent to the show and finished. We don't get to just erase his history because without Brady the team has struggled. He would be coming into a situation with elite talent all over and a QB that has shown the ability to play the position at a high level consistently. Thats more than what he had in NE during Brady's era and more at the QB position than he had in recent years without Brady. This team would be a reallocation of assets and he would have finished the job.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

This one looks brutal. Couldn't give a crap if juice knows the rules. The coach not knowing the rules would be unforgivable because how can you make accurate decisions? After the game he also said talked about getting the ball first in actual sudden death, but he may have been referring to each team kicking a field goal. 

This clip on its own is pretty damning because I don't know what else he could be talking about when he adds "in the end", but I also don't know if he's intending it like the way it's being portrayed. 

Bottom line: if shanny didn't know, brutal and unforgivable. 

If shanny did know, than I just don't care about the juice stuff, or mahomes saying they would have went for 2, etc. Shanny and co decided on a strategy. I don't necessarily agree with it (I always want the ball second in overtime, though I admit there are reasons you could take the ball first such as to give your defense a rest)

It's still ridiculous that he assumed that Andy Reid would ever hand the ball back to him and his offense in a sudden death situation. If the Niners scored a TD, the Chiefs were going to go down and if they scored it was a go for 2 situation. We all should have known that. Andy was never going to leave it to his defense against Shanny's strength for the Super Bowl. He was always going to die with Mahomes against the 49ers weakness, the defense. These are the decisions that Kyle fails out repeatedly and I'm so completely tired of it. He coaches not to lose and as a result of it gets in the way. If you took the ball with the logic being the opportunity for first crack in sudden death why would you not look to score the TD over the FG? I get the FG makes the Chiefs have to score, but his logic is so screwed up.

29 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Bill Belichick would absolutely take these 49ers teams to the Super Bowl. He doesn't have Mac Jones here. He has taken many more teams with less talent to the show and finished. We don't get to just erase his history because without Brady the team has struggled. He would be coming into a situation with elite talent all over and a QB that has shown the ability to play the position at a high level consistently. Thats more than what he had in NE during Brady's era and more at the QB position than he had in recent years without Brady. This team would be a reallocation of assets and he would have finished the job.

If you give him these rosters and ask him to just handle in-game decisions while Lynch handles the GM stuff, maybe. He sure isn't building them though, and he isn't coming here to let someone else be GM

Edited by jonnguy2015