Raiders DON'T hire Kliff Kingsbury as OC

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

I agree with Getsy being awful, but Telesco was not bad at all. I’m underwhelmed by that hire too, but he put talent on the Chargers roster. He just couldn’t get the right HC in place. 

Im mostly disagreeing with you about the rest of your post. The Raiders casted a wide net of respectable candidates for OC and GM. I think they absolutely should have been more diligent with their HC search, but AP was their guy and rightfully so.

I agree with that but I feel like they could have interviewed more young OC. Seem like Pierce wanted to surround himself with experience 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I agree with Getsy being awful, but Telesco was not bad at all. I’m underwhelmed by that hire too, but he put talent on the Chargers roster. He just couldn’t get the right HC in place. 

Im mostly disagreeing with you about the rest of your post. The Raiders casted a wide net of respectable candidates for OC and GM. I think they absolutely should have been more diligent with their HC search, but AP was their guy and rightfully so.

The chargers won nothing with him leading the ship despite having a franchise QB to build around the entire time he was there. The Chargers didn’t fire him because he’s amazing. 

Rightfully so to the point they settled for a mediocre OC and GM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I agree with that but I feel like they could have interviewed more young OC. Seem like Pierce wanted to surround himself with experience 

Experience having a load of talent and failing to capitalize on it?

• Like 1

The more time that goes on I’m glad we do not have Kingsbury.  Dude accepts jobs and then backs out. Did that with USC before taking Cardinals job

Flamed out at Texas Tech despite having Mahomes and Mayfield at QB

Flamed out Arizona to the point they were bottom of the league 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

The more time that goes on I’m glad we do not have Kingsbury.  Dude accepts jobs and then backs out. Did that with USC before taking Cardinals job

Flamed out at Texas Tech despite having Mahomes and Mayfield at QB

Flamed out Arizona to the point they were bottom of the league 

I think you could've done well here provided that we get the exact type of quarterback that he needs

On 2/4/2024 at 11:35 AM, Humble_Beast said:

Yes, Pierce is going flop. I'm not excited. Mark didn't want to pay up for a good head coach. Hired a staff that is happy to be there

It’s not that Mark didn’t wanna pay, it’s that he’s an idiot and likely believes in AP like delusional casual fans. 

8 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

It’s not that Mark didn’t wanna pay, it’s that he’s an idiot and likely believes in AP like delusional casual fans. 

I think he could believe, and Pierce on a short leash. Which is why Mark didn’t want to give Kliff 3 years 

I actually don't hate the short contracts for this current group because they're pretty much on a "prove it" territory for the next couple of years, which makes sense given the HC's lack of experience. And it also makes no sense to give Kingsbury more time or money than the rest of the staff, so if he wanted to be on a better deal than his boss AP, then I totally see why talks broke down between him and the team.

If Pierce & co ball out, they'll get an extension at more of the going rate for established Head Coaches, and if not then the Raiders aren't sitting paying them forever like has happened with Gruden or McDaniels.

This isn't an endorsement of Mark Davis, btw. The fact that we're even in this current situation is because he's proven that he's terrible at hiring HCs and giving them appropriate contracts. But at least this time he's being relatively pragmatic about it.

• Like 4

Even if the third year was offered, what guarantee is there he doesn't bolt after year 1 or 2?.....none. I'm not thrilled with getsy, but there's nothing I can personally do. Btw, most of the "hot" OCs didn't go anywhere. And Kubiak isn't a dummy, chances are he's NOLAs HC in 2025. So there's that too.