Raiders DON'T hire Kliff Kingsbury as OC

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Kliff apparently wants to join the Commanders and coach Caleb Williams

^Called it. Got a notification from bleacher report that the Chicago Bears were going to trade the number one overall pick. Right after that I got a notification on police report that Kliff Kingsbury wasn't going to sign. It's much easier for kliff to go to Washington and then Caleb pull a Eli Manning then the Raiders to trade from 13. 

Best bet is we go with Eric Bieniemy or a chip Kelly and trade for Justin Fields. I think Justin Fields could do really really well in a chip Kelly offense

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

^Called it. Got a notification from bleacher report that the Chicago Bears were going to trade the number one overall pick. Right after that I got a notification on police report that Kliff Kingsbury wasn't going to sign. It's much easier for kliff to go to Washington and then Caleb pull a Eli Manning then the Raiders to trade from 13. 

Best bet is we go with Eric Bieniemy or a chip Kelly and trade for Justin Fields. I think Justin Fields could do really really well in a chip Kelly offense

My guess is either Chip, Gase or EB

Interesting grade from Walterfootball grade on Kliff Kingsbury hiring:

Raiders hire OC Kliff Kingsbury: F Grade 
I was on board with promoting Antonio Pierce to head coach, but it doesn’t appear as though his tenure is off to a good start. Pierce is a defensive-minded coach, so he was tasked with finding a sharp, offensive-minded coach who can develop Aidan O’Connell or another young quarterback. Kingsbury is not a sharp, offensive-minded coach. 

Kingsbury was a failure as a head coach in Arizona. While he did many things wrong, one of his problems was his atrocious play-calling. Kingsbury was predictable or stupid, often calling for deep shots on third-and-medium, which fell incomplete way more often than not. Kyler Murray didn’t improve under Kingsbury’s watch, and while some of that was on Murray and his poor work ethic, it was Kingsbury who couldn’t get Murray to try hard. I don’t see why he would suddenly energize the next quarterback he coaches. 

Kingsbury coached USC last year as an offensive assistant, and he didn’t show any signs of improvement in his coaching ability. Caleb Williams took a step backward in 2023 under Kingsbury, which was hardly a surprise. 

I’m not sure what Pierce is thinking with his hire, but he clearly didn’t pay attention to how poor Kingsbury has been throughout his career. This is an easy “F” grade.

• Like 1

I am not heart-broken about Kingsbury. However, when I see the list of available OCs (Thad Lewis, Adam Gase, Eric Bienimy, MIke Sullivan etc.) it starts to scare me a bit. OC and QB are going to define our season - so we better dig deep.

I would see what Reich is doing - better than the other candidates I have heard so far.

Edited by Heart of Oak
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Take a chance on a young guy, any young guy. 

Getsy and Kelly ain't it

100%. Chip and Hue would be disasters. 

But I don't get the vibe Mark wants to hire a rookie OC if he hired Tom partly because he was more experienced. 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:02 PM, Darbsk said:

I’m hesitant as Adams could be invaluable for a rookie QB, also I just don’t like Williams and trading up for either Maye or Williams would be too expensive for me as neither is a blue chip prospect in my opinion.

Im fine trading up a little but all these QB have big red flags and there’s a lot of risk. 

Williams he’s great at extending the play, but he kind of sucks at sitting in the pocket and running the offense.