Raiders DON'T hire Kliff Kingsbury as OC

Now trade Davante and go get a legitimate QBOTF. Give up DA, 13 and maybe even next years first. Or this + next year 2's.

I still am banging the drum of not keeping a 32 year old DA during another rebuild. It's a bad use of assets and I much prefer we package him to move up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I have no problem with that.

QB fits look like this:

FA:
Russel Wilson

Justin fields

Draft(outside of the top 3)

Michael Penix

Spencer Rattler

JJ Mcarthy(Eventually)

I think with Kliff as OC you figure out a way to get Russell Wilson, and then draft one of those three on the second day to sit behind him.

would allow us to draft a RT or best player available in the first

I was gonna post a similar list.
Didn't thought about Wilson or Rattler though. I don't know much about Rattler and his play style - Wilson I think would fit from his play style.
I would add Kyler Murray as a wildcard.

Some twitter nuggets:

The Cardinals were top 10 in rushing attempts and rushing yards in two of four seasons. He runs the ball.

The narrative out there about Kliff Kingsbury and the "Air Raid Offense" is that they don't run the ball 

Based off Kliff's time in AZ that wasn't the case 

Before he took over they ranked 28th in rush attempts...

His 1st season: 19th in rushing attempts 

2nd season: 6th in rush attempts 

3rd season: 7th in rush attempts 

If they bring back Josh Jacobs you better believe they'll be running the ball...plenty of between the tackles runs too.

Kyle Murray running attempts inflates those numbers!

Kliff ran the ball well; they were top 10 in rushing EPA 2020 and 2021

However, using PFF 2021, they had 705 dropbacks and 444 rushes if you take out scrambles(35)

That’s 61% pass to 39% run. So it is a pass heavy offense.

Depends on how much Kingsbury wants the QB to run (Kyler ran a lot, obv) but generally speaking, yeah. Similar to what Penix played in at UW.

Justin Fields, Air Raid quarterback does not sound like a winning formula to me man idk

While...

Sorry Bears fans….Justin Fields to the Raiders. Makes too much sense

His tenure with the Red Raiders demonstrated his ability to design and execute a high-powered offense that was both dynamic and aggressive.

The Air Raid offense is an aggressive approach to football, where passing plays make up the majority (65-75 percent) of the game plan. This strategy allows the quarterback to make decisions based on the defense’s formation, often changing the play at the line. The Air Raid offense keeps the opposing defense on its toes with a rapid-paced, no-huddle style that limits substitutions and maintains a quick tempo. 

Its offensive line formation sets it apart, creating passing lanes and making it harder for defenders to rush effectively. The fundamental principles of this offense are getting rid of the ball quickly, stretching out defenses across the field, and exploiting any weaknesses in coverage.

If Kingsbury is part of the team, he’ll bring an excellent track record of developing quarterbacks, including Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, and Johnny Manziel.

Although Kingsbury’s tenure with the Cardinals ended on a down note, his 2021 team placed second in the NFC West, losing in the wild card playoffs to the Super Bowl LVI champs, the Los Angeles Rams. In 2021, Arizona ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in scoring and total offense. 

Kingsbury’s scheme is undoubtedly innovative but brings complexity to the table. Introducing a new system requires the players and the coaching staff to adapt. If it works out and Pierce picks Kingsbury, the Raiders must approach this transition meticulously, understanding that building a championship-caliber offense takes time.

This could be exacerbated by introducing a rookie quarterback — especially if he wins the starting job. The Raiders’ front office would need to evaluate other players on its offensive roster to determine needs and who would still fit in a system run by Kingsbury.

We can analyze Kingsbury’s offense in Arizona all we want, but the NFL pretty much figured it out.

Starting to wonder if the Raiders trade the house for Caleb Williams

My biggest criticism of Kingsbury’s ARI offense was lack of detail, too many bubble screens, lack of sequencing.

Does some creative things but offense always felt like a collection of plays without flow.

Offense relied on Murray’s ability to create too much.

There’s a chance Kingsbury learned from his previous experience but it’s interesting that a defensive heard coach is willing to go to a tempo, air raidey offense

Kingsbury is known for running the principles of the Air Raid offense, though his Cardinals squads performed well in the red zone with physical running backs. On his watch, Arizona ranked within the top 11 in red-zone scoring with Kenyan Drake and James Conner scoring 10-plus touchdowns in 2020 and 2021, respectively.

Overall I'm more positive then negative, but I have my doubts...

Also wanna say that being an NFL HC with a pretty bad owner and a not mature enough franchise QB must have been a lot more difficult then being only an OC...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I was gonna post a similar list.
Didn't thought about Wilson or Rattler though. I don't know much about Rattler and his play style - Wilson I think would fit from his play style.
I would add Kyler Murray as a wildcard.

Cards aren't getting rid of kyler. Rattler played for Riley who also runs the air raid

46 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Cards aren't getting rid of kyler. Rattler played for Riley who also runs the air raid

No mind he was.....uh.....terrible at it?

Thing with Kliff's offense is that it can work, but you need a QB that can both move around to buy time while being smart with the ball to eliminate some of the inherent risk of the boom-bust passing style. 

McCarthy, Penix, or Pratt would probably do well. Browning maybe. Williams, probably if he wasn't a bust waiting to happen for virtually every other reason. 

Rattler didn't. Fields has shown the mobility but for as good as his mobility is, his decision making and ball security are equally as bad. Russ would look bad. Murray would be off playing CoD. 

Everyone is focusing way too much on the mobility aspect of QBs with Russ, Fields, Murray, etc. 

• Like 3

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

No mind he was.....uh.....terrible at it?

Thing with Kliff's offense is that it can work, but you need a QB that can both move around to buy time while being smart with the ball to eliminate some of the inherent risk of the boom-bust passing style. 

McCarthy, Penix, or Pratt would probably do well. Browning maybe. Williams, probably if he wasn't a bust waiting to happen for virtually every other reason. 

Rattler didn't. Fields has shown the mobility but for as good as his mobility is, his decision making and ball security are equally as bad. Russ would look bad. Murray would be off playing CoD. 

Everyone is focusing way too much on the mobility aspect of QBs with Russ, Fields, Murray, etc. 

to be fair to Rattler, he was good at it before he was terrible at it. Penix does run so he might be as good but serviceable. In theory, JJ would. But he doesn't throw enough to know outright to know if he's not another Bo nix. Browning wouldn't work. Russell would do well because it's basically what he's always done. Doesn't matter if Murray does well or not because the Cards don't give him up.

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

Overall I'm more positive then negative, but I have my doubts...

Also wanna say that being an NFL HC with a pretty bad owner and a not mature enough franchise QB must have been a lot more difficult then being only an OC...

Way more positives, imo. 

His run scheme is underrated and was sort of forgotten about amid the Kyler hype and subsequent embarrassments and USC's brass being more interested in Caleb Williams than the team as a whole. 

This move seems to signal an aggressive move to get to the top of draft. Chicago's Fields decision will go a long way in determining whether that's possible. If Chicago picks a QB, it's pretty unlikely that the Raiders will have a chance to pick one of the top 3.

When I think Kingsbury offense, I think screens, vertical routes, and a fast time to throw. I don't think Fields is a fit for Kingsbury's offense because of his slow release and decision making, but a Fields trade is still possible because his running adds an interesting wrinkle. Penix and Nix are good fits. They both have quick releases and experience running a similar offense. I don't think McCarthy is a natural fit because of his slower release, and he has not proven to be a good downfield thrower. O'Connell is a good fit for this offense because he has a quick release and is very accurate.

I don’t mind it.  I think if he is good, he will have to develop a young about into a winner and prove it for at least 2 years before he can get another HC job. If not we will move on.

All of the big name QBs in the draft are mobile so I don’t think it really narrows it down all that much.  I honestly think that our most likely options for QB are draft either McCarthy or Nix at 13 or trade for Fields.  I know the basic idea of the offense that Kingsbury runs and wont claim to know more than I do, Bo Nix and Justin Fields seem to be the most realistic options.

Nix runs a similar offense in Oregon and Fields ran a similar offense at OSU. I think Nix will be available at 13 and Fields will be gotten for significantly cheaper than moving up to the top 5.  

I like Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye a lot but I have my doubts that we will be able to trade up for them. And even if we could, I get the sense that the front office will be more conservative than that.  But who knows, maybe some of the QB needy teams in front of us will end up with Cousins or Baker and will open up a window for us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

I’d do 13, 77, 2025 1st and 3rd + Jakobi and Mayer for #1 and CB Kyler Gordon.. Grab Caleb #1, sign Dalton Schultz to replace Mayer and bring in a FA receiver to replace Meyers. Mike Evans, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Marquise Brown are all FA’s.. I think we’d still have 7 other 2024 picks, use 44 for BPA and add depth on both lines. 

I posted this in a different thread, but:

Chicago gets: Maxx Crosby, Davante Adams, 2025 1st, 2025 2nd, 2025 3rd

We get: #1 and #9

#1: Drake Maye

#9: Joe Alt

#13: Jared Verse

This probably would be the catalyst of a rebuild for the Raiders, but that might end up being a good thing (though losing Maxx would be incredibly hard). Chicago probably wouldn't go for this unless we throw in an extra pick or two. The only question would be if Maye would be a good fit for a Kingsbury offense (paging @big_palooka and @Tank4Drake?). I personally wouldn't get rid of Mayer or Meyers as our new QB (whoever it is) would need dependable receivers.

As far as Kingsbury, I'm cautiously optimistic ala @ronjon1990. I like that AP is willing to admit his inexperience by surrounding himself with guys who have walked this road before, that show maturity and humility on his part. It's just a matter of time before we see if he chose the right people.

Edited by RaidersForever