Raiders to hire Luke Getsy as OC

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean sure they haven’t played but does this really look like an inspired staff to you on the offensive side of the ball?

It’s not what I would have hoped for, for sure. I wanted Harbaugh.

But, the hyperbole in some of these threads is laughable, perspective is being totally lost.

There’s nothing we can do about the hires, hopefully the draft and free agency goes well and I think (though I freely admit I may be in the minority) we have a pretty decent base to build off. We’re not in a bad position moving forward o don’t think and I think there’s reason to be optimistic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

Well crap. Underwhelming selection doesn't do this hire justice.

What did Getsy show as Chicago's OC? Absolutely nothing. Can't develop a QB. Can't adjust an offense to fit the talent he has. 

When I think Offensive power, Chicago is not the team I go looking for talent. 

How can we say this on such a small sample size? Maybe the QB just isn’t very coachable or is at his limits mentally? He hasn’t worked with many QBs as OC has he?

Absolutely there’s questions, but I don’t think we can say that. Also, When you say doesn’t adjust to fit the talent, I thought the most talented player (Moore) produced the best season of his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

That’s a good point. Moore and Kmet had their best seasons last year despite having multiple games with a late round rookie QB. I think Getsy offense fits our current roster better than Kliff. We would had to rework the O-line more under an Air raid offense 

Getsy system of doing nothing? Dude was worse than Bo Hardagree last year and the primary reason Fields busted. AP blowing it already sadly 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let's just review this hiring cycle from Mark's end.

You don't interview Vrabel. You don't interview Harbaugh. You decide against Dodds because you don't want a "first time GM". 

Your appointed head coach blows his opportunity to bring in the offensive coordinator that HE WANTED. And now we get a guy piloting a horrendous, dysfunctional bears offense for the last 2 years.

Color me shocked that people (me included) are turning on the new regime already. 

If you told anyone the day that JMD got hired we’d have Telesco at GM, AP as HC, and Getsy at OC that sounds like an absolute worst case scenario. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

How can we say this on such a small sample size? Maybe the QB just isn’t very coachable or is at his limits mentally? He hasn’t worked with many QBs as OC has he?

Absolutely there’s questions, but I don’t think we can say that. Also, When you say doesn’t adjust to fit the talent, I thought the most talented player (Moore) produced the best season of his career.

AOC might be the next Tom Brady Jr and AP might be the next Bill Bellichick. But the evidence we have is that AP got fired by a HS / college, Getsy was god awful the last 2 years, and AOC is super limited.

The Getsy hire reminds me of the Hackett hire last offseason. Where you had people trying to blame personnel / players just for it to be confirmed that he sucks as a coach.

He didn’t adjust to fit Fields strengths which is why their offense sucked and they didn’t win. There’s a reason Chicago fired him 

Edited by NYRaider

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I get what you're saying, but I feel the Bears would have possibly kept him if they felt Fields was the issue. Especially since they could grab Williams. 

And Moore is one of those WRs that is going to produce no matter what. Look at his QBs in Carolina. It can be argued Fields is more talented then any QB he's had before.

When it comes to Getsy, the hire is just so blah. I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but the face value on this hire is what it is.

We the fans knew the OC hire needed to be a homerun, and this feels the opposite. 

• Like 2

Honestly we would have been better off staying with Bo Hardegree. What has Luke Getsy shown better than Bo? Bo was working with a physically limited 4th round rookie QB. Luke Getsy was basically lost for two years just hoping Fields would make some kinda crazy play with his legs. This is a very ignorant hire by the Raiders. I seriously wonder sometimes what goes on in the front office, we always seems to have the stupidest people running this team.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Until the official Raiders twitter announcement, I won’t believe it.

However, if it is Getsy certainly underwhelming but he’s still only 39 and didn’t have a lot of talent in Chicago. He’s  not Hackett incompetent and brings a good rushing attack. Let’s see how it plays out

only a couple years ago, he was considered a hot OC candidate

He could only design and call the plays but Justin Fields sucks so thing didn’t work.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let's just review this hiring cycle from Mark's end.

You don't interview Vrabel. You don't interview Harbaugh. You decide against Dodds because you don't want a "first time GM". 

Your appointed head coach blows his opportunity to bring in the offensive coordinator that HE WANTED. And now we get a guy piloting a horrendous, dysfunctional bears offense for the last 2 years.

Color me shocked that people (me included) are turning on the new regime already. 

This scratches the surface. 

After getting shat on early and often for hating everything about the McZeigler era, I'm not impressed by anyone playing the "gotta see first" superiority card. 

The staff is here and they can do what it takes to win people over. But the days of trusting objectively questionable moves and giving benefit of doubt to said objectively questionable moves are long over.

I don't care what anyone says about needing to give it time- these weren't good moves. I'll give them time to prove me wrong, but make no mistake, their job is to prove some pissed off fans wrong. It's not on the fans of this destitute franchise to blindly support any and every move made with open arms until it gets impossible to continue to do so. This group is starting from a weak, shaky footing with me, and it's because of how they came together. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dodo said:

Mark's involvement is the black cloud. As I've said before he needs to hire a football VP and stay in his suite.

I'm not pessimistic on AP the way @ronjon1990 (idk how to tag) is but I agree the structure is out of wack.

¿Que?

AP isn't at all what I'm skeptical about. 

I'm skeptical about the quality of GM amd front office we hired to provide adequate support for a first time HC, the collecting of past failures being brought on board to advise and round out the staff, and the way the front office has handled this entire process from top to bottom while seeming to lack any single identifiable vision,, particularly on offense.

AP, I've largely defended for a long time. But I'm realistic enough to know throwing him into a division with Reid, Harbaugh, and Payton and then surrounding him with lackluster GM and OC picks- when he has no experience on offense for himself- is practically setting him up for failure. 

20 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This scratches the surface. 

After getting shat on early and often for hating everything about the McZeigler era, I'm not impressed by anyone playing the "gotta see first" superiority card. 

The staff is here and they can do what it takes to win people over. But the days of trusting objectively questionable moves and giving benefit of doubt to said objectively questionable moves are long over.

I don't care what anyone says about needing to give it time- these weren't good moves. I'll give them time to prove me wrong, but make no mistake, their job is to prove some pissed off fans wrong. It's not on the fans of this destitute franchise to blindly support any and every move made with open arms until it gets impossible to continue to do so. This group is starting from a weak, shaky footing with me, and it's because of how they came together. 

You have to respect this take. I don't support for sure but I definitely want to see how this plays out even for future references. Because I want to see what happens when the guy that the players bang the table for it gets the job. It's an experiment of sorts for me

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you told anyone the day that JMD got hired we’d have Telesco at GM, AP as HC, and Getsy at OC that sounds like an absolute worst case scenario. 

If you would have told me AP as HC, Telesco as GM, and Getsy as OC a few weeks ago, I’d tell you that you are 100% trolling. 

• Like 1

Nothing really to say here. Disappointing move after disappointing move. The puzzle is not complete yet, so I’ll hold off on any claims until training camp. Will need some big moves in the coming months to sway my opinion of our chance’s though.