Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Best interior DL of all time.  

Has also given rise to an unfair comparison for every interior DL that doesn't fit the standard measurables.  Every damn time someone is outside the box for DL you get "yeah but it could be Aaron Donald because they have the same frame"  Spoiler: They are never Aaron Donald. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Has also given rise to an unfair comparison for every interior DL that doesn't fit the standard measurables.  Every damn time someone is outside the box for DL you get "yeah but it could be Aaron Donald because they have the same frame"  Spoiler: They are never Aaron Donald. 

For older people that was Charles Barkley.   Every undersized but stocky PF was Charles Barkley.  They were never Charles Barkley.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

For older people that was Charles Barkley.   Every undersized but stocky PF was Charles Barkley.  They were never Charles Barkley.

The other one that became a running joke between me and a couple friends was being in The Sovereign (narrowest bar in Chicago, plus had a fake irishman) and overhearing a barfly repeating how The Bears should get rid of that Grossman bum and "Just get one of dem Tawm Brady types in da sixths or sevenths rounds" like he'd just figured out the secret that the NFL was too dumb to know.  Hire that man. 

• Like 2

Swift Sports goes to war with so many Bears content makers.   

When he gets rankled he will say, I have more followers, if he does.  Or if he doesn't he will say this guy is old.  Or this guy sucks.  Or this guy doesn't watch film he is a fraud.  

I'm not sure making all those enemies is going to end well for him.  In fairness he doesn't always start it.  But he responds to criticism pretty hard.

Lololol. Just had to send a text to my neighbor "Was that you ralphing on your lawn at 2am?"  My neighborhood has a mystery! The phantom puker! Wife noticed someone having not the best time in the middle of the night,  and they went into one of three houses so we're trying to figure out who it was so we can make fun of them.   Better go fire up the leaf blower real loud first though. 

Fondly recalling St Patricks Day 2012.  It was like 70 degrees and my future brother in law had a party downtown.  I came home at like 3pm, and absolutely passed out facedown in my lawn. One of the best naps I've ever had.   We were new to being homeowners so having my own lawn was still quite a luxury and novelty.

Have a great weekend all.  I'm recovering but not the usual way;  cooked 14 pizzas yesterday in an outdoor pizza oven I stupidly set up like 12" off the ground and my back is w r e c k e d. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

No.  That’s a ‘take.’  That is speculation. 

A lot of recent ‘facts’ did not come to be.  Now we have more ‘facts’.  

I dont even want to get into the Nonsense RG3 is trying to get clicks with, BUT we can all admit that this isnt your normal #1 overall pick situation, which has its benefits and its pitfalls as well

Off the top, I think it would have to be an absolute disaster for Poles to lose his job this offseason. To me its almost hard to think of a scenario that he is shown the door with what he has done in the past 2 years, building this team from next to nothing, with almost no talent, no Draft capital and in Cap misery. That doesnt mean he has a job for life, but this year, I think hes pretty safe

Eberflus and staff are more tenuous than that, but I still think they are decently comfortable unless the whole team blows up in their face. You dont pass on all the available Coaches this year, let them pick 2 new Coordinators, AND take the reigns of the #1 overall pick and new Franchise QB unless you have belief in him. Again, hes not on a free roll here, but this is a guy who led a massive defensive turnaround, and went from 3 wins and earning the #1 overall pick to 7 wins and an outside shot at the playoffs in January with a QB that supposedly "the league thinks is a backup" (a whole lot of talking out of both sides of their mouth out there about this)

If we are somehow earning a  Top 3 pick again, yea he needs to go, But we are putting in a new (although similar) offense, with a Rookie QB and an OL that still has plenty to prove, so pretending we are should be "expecting" playoffs is wild to me, especially since as he did point out, were in a Division with 2 Playoff teams. But we should be in nearly every game, and should have a shot to win most of them (most good+ NFL Teams fall into this). 

We did this last year, having outsized expectations as a fanbase on the whole. And whats crazy, is we did or nearly met those, it was just a round about way to do so with the losses early. So if we win 6-7-8 games again, but the team is clearly on the right trajectory, it would be really dumb to say we need to with 'X' Games or they are fired. If we do that, but blow 5 last minute leads as well, there probably needs to be a conversation of is this who the staff is? Cant close games? But even that com,es down to circumstance. If we get screwed on a bunch of calls, or thats where CW's rookie shines through and he throws 5 of his 8 total INTs in the last minute drives, then its probably not as big of a deal.

I know we are in a hot take world, but some of these are getting out of control

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont even want to get into the Nonsense RG3 is trying to get clicks with, BUT we can all admit that this isnt your normal #1 overall pick situation, which has its benefits and its pitfalls as well

Off the top, I think it would have to be an absolute disaster for Poles to lose his job this offseason. To me its almost hard to think of a scenario that he is shown the door with what he has done in the past 2 years, building this team from next to nothing, with almost no talent, no Draft capital and in Cap misery. That doesnt mean he has a job for life, but this year, I think hes pretty safe

Eberflus and staff are more tenuous than that, but I still think they are decently comfortable unless the whole team blows up in their face. You dont pass on all the available Coaches this year, let them pick 2 new Coordinators, AND take the reigns of the #1 overall pick and new Franchise QB unless you have belief in him. Again, hes not on a free roll here, but this is a guy who led a massive defensive turnaround, and went from 3 wins and earning the #1 overall pick to 7 wins and an outside shot at the playoffs in January with a QB that supposedly "the league thinks is a backup" (a whole lot of talking out of both sides of their mouth out there about this)

If we are somehow earning a  Top 3 pick again, yea he needs to go, But we are putting in a new (although similar) offense, with a Rookie QB and an OL that still has plenty to prove, so pretending we are should be "expecting" playoffs is wild to me, especially since as he did point out, were in a Division with 2 Playoff teams. But we should be in nearly every game, and should have a shot to win most of them (most good+ NFL Teams fall into this). 

We did this last year, having outsized expectations as a fanbase on the whole. And whats crazy, is we did or nearly met those, it was just a round about way to do so with the losses early. So if we win 6-7-8 games again, but the team is clearly on the right trajectory, it would be really dumb to say we need to with 'X' Games or they are fired. If we do that, but blow 5 last minute leads as well, there probably needs to be a conversation of is this who the staff is? Cant close games? But even that com,es down to circumstance. If we get screwed on a bunch of calls, or thats where CW's rookie shines through and he throws 5 of his 8 total INTs in the last minute drives, then its probably not as big of a deal.

I know we are in a hot take world, but some of these are getting out of control

The point is or was you can hypothesize or theorize that Poles and Eberflus need X number of wins or they will be fired.  

Or that Caleb is going to be number 1 pick.

Or the sun will be shining tomorrow. 

But those aren't 'facts.'   He knows this.  Robert is just acting emotionally.  

Some things are much more likely to come true than others.  It is near certain the Sun will be shining tomorrow or at least doing so outside of Illinois.  But it isn't a fact yet.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The point is or was you can hypothesize or theorize that Poles and Eberflus need X number of wins or they will be fired.  

Or that Caleb is going to be number 1 pick.

Or the sun will be shining tomorrow. 

But those aren't 'facts.'   He knows this.  Robert is just acting emotionally.  

Some things are much more likely to come true than others.  It is near certain the Sun will be shining tomorrow or at least doing so outside of Illinois.  But it isn't a fact yet.

Robert wants Eberflus to be fired for trading Fields.  He wants Bears to have a bad season for making 'wrong' decision.

Or he is playing to the crowd that does.  Whichever or both.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

Robert wants Eberflus to be fired for trading Fields.  He wants Bears to have a bad season for making 'wrong' decision.

Or he is playing to the crowd that does.  Whichever or both.  

A want can cloud your judgment.  It happens to all of us at times really.