Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

21 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Scuttlebutt is one of my favorite old-timey words ever. Instant subscribe if I was on there and saw it.

Did you know the origins are kinda the same meaning as "watercooler gossip?"  It's from cutting a hole (scuttling) a hole into a cask (butt) on a ship.  People would hang out getting water and talk **** about the rest of the crew. 

• Like 3

Just now, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Did you know the origins are kinda the same meaning as "watercooler gossip?"  It's from cutting a hole (scuttling) a hole into a cask (butt) on a ship.  People would hang out getting water and talk **** about the rest of the crew.

I didn't, but I'm happy to know it now. lol

On 3/21/2024 at 8:08 AM, AZBearsFan said:

He left my alma mater and then immediately became an all time college great. He’s the sports equivalent of having fallen into a lion pit at the zoo to me.

Unless of course we draft him lol. 

was it immediate? he spent 2 years at LSU and coming into this season was looked at as a day 3 prospect

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

was it immediate? he spent 2 years at LSU and coming into this season was looked at as a day 3 prospect

You’re right - his 2022 was the same as his ASU years. Still hate him though lol. 

Whether or not this passes might have a direct impact on whether or not Velus Jones is on our roster next year. I think he’s got value as a RS in a situation that encourages more KRs. Without it though, I just don’t see it. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Whether or not this passes might have a direct impact on whether or not Velus Jones is on our roster next year. I think he’s got value as a RS in a situation that encourages more KRs. Without it though, I just don’t see it. 

Do these changes make returning kicks more similar to returning punts? And is Velus good enough to do both?

8 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Do these changes make returning kicks more similar to returning punts? And is Velus good enough to do both?

I'd argue he's not good enough for either considering how many punts he muffed at crucial moments

It looks like XFL set up from 35 rather than 40.  

That gives runner an extra 5 yards of space than XFL was giving.  If you kick it to goal line you are giving the runner a lot of space.

Interesting.  @AZBearsFanmakes an awesome point.  This really increases Velus value.  He is a really good KRer.

I would 100% keep him if that passes.

• Like 1

The KR will have become a weapon.  

I think stats on KRs for TDs increases your chances of winning by a significant margin.

It's like breaking through defense against a short yardage set up.  If you can break LOS you are gone.   Same deal here.

Definitely an exciting play to add to the game.  It will change the game, but they should do it.

2 hours ago, refundmytickets said:

It’s nothing like returning punts. Catching the kickoff is the same as before - it just changes where the blockers start (basically everyone but the K and KR are right by each other at the 40, and they can’t move til the ball is caught or hits the ground). More initial space and harsher TB penalties will encourage more kicks short of the goal line. 

• Like 1

This will also favor keeping more of the more athletic positions on roster to man the KRs and KOs.  The guys very athletic but not too small or too big.  

LBs, Safeties, TEs, RBs, bigger WRs ... 

This will be an important play in game on both sides.

Could save ESB job too.  

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s nothing like returning punts. Catching the kickoff is the same as before - it just changes where the blockers start (basically everyone but the K and KR are right by each other at the 40, and they can’t move til the ball is caught or hits the ground). More initial space and harsher TB penalties will encourage more kicks short of the goal line. 

Going to be interesting to see these strategies develop without much analytics to “solve” the situation.

Would you rather give up 5 yards of field position to ensure you never give up a long return? The difference between an offense starting at the 25 or 30 is not that much.

Edited by refundmytickets
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Going to be interesting to see these strategies develop without much analytics to “solve” the situation.

Would you rather give up 5 yards of field position to ensure you never give up a long return? The difference between an offense starting at the 25 or 30 is not that much.

Definitely with a great returner back there.  I would do that.  

Defenses are very conservative in NFL.  They always talk about being aggressive, but most are not.  

They want you to drive the field and they do not want to give up big play.  And odds tell them this is right move.  If you get a holding call or a TFL at any point your drive is usually done.

A quick 6 is a worst case scenario.

I prefer Flores style of coaching for NFL level personally.  He will send everyone and drop everyone alternatively.  Keeps you guessing.  More 3 and outs that way.  

But NFL as a whole has been able to stop run while keeping 2 safeties back.  This is why teams are having so much trouble scoring lately.  2 safeties back and make you drive the field has been working to keep scoring low.  Theoretically you should be able to run on that.  But they can't.  

NFL needs to improve run game.  I say, it is because they have largely eliminated misdirection with the 1 back sets.

A good fake is worth two blocks in run game.  This is a saying that is very old and very true.  

We have very few run fakes outside of zone read with QB.   Which is what helped KC win the SB.   Mahomes got a number of key first downs with zone reads and his feet.

I would motion guys more to fake and then give.  Or give and then fake.   It would help run game a lot.