Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

20 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Honestly, I felt bad for Jets fans last year.

They were hyped for season and lost him in first game.  Rough.

All this hype for months, the entirety of the plot for the season of Hard Knocks and Jets’ offseason, falls out in the first 2 minutes of action. Kinda sounds like my experience with a girl at work but I digress 

I was actually talking about this to someone about how the patriots more or less orchestrated Rodgers’ flop. Their trade down with PIT devastated the jets and forced them to pick another player when jones came off the board and they had to roll w a schmuck at LT. The schmuck at LT immediately gets Rodgers broken for the year. It was poetic as BB’s final FU to them 

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Tyler Scott isn’t going to make much money in his career, so giving up 13 for free was a stupid choice. 

While that may be true, not getting off on the wrong foot with either the new QB who’ll be responsible for getting you the ball or the HOF WR from whom who might be able to learn from and become better makes some sense too. 

• Like 1

ESPN ran an article on Belichick.  Not really a hit piece, but it is not flattering in least.  

Big thing everyone is clinging to is it Said Kraft torpedoed his job with Falcons.  Kraft denies it.  

But from reading entire article it looks like Falcons owner put it up to a vote and the front office voted no.  

But that makes total sense they would vote no regardless because hiring Bill would be a huge change to their existing power structure.   

It is same as outsiders to political parties winning a nomination.  Nobody in bureaucracy likes that.  Nobody wants to lose power or feel their job threatened. 

I don’t know what Blank was expecting.  If you leave it to your front office they are going to want a guy beholden to them of course.   That is human nature for most.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

ESPN ran an article on Belichick.  Not really a hit piece, but it is not flattering in least.  

Big thing everyone is clinging to is it Said Kraft torpedoed his job with Falcons.  Kraft denies it.  

But from reading entire article it looks like Falcons owner put it up to a vote and the front office voted no.  

But that makes total sense they would vote no regardless because hiring Bill would be a huge change to their existing power structure.   

It is same as outsiders to political parties winning a nomination.  Nobody in bureaucracy likes that.  Nobody wants to lose power or feel their job threatened. 

I don’t know what Blank was expecting.  If you leave it to your front office they are going to want a guy beholden to them of course.   That is human nature for most.  

Yep. I said a good while ago that Belichick the HC I could definately be happy with. Under no circumstances do I want Belichick the GM.

• Like 1

I’ve been drinking and it doesn’t take much anymore since I don’t drink very often. But I’m thankful I’m still around solely to witness this off-season and bears’ near future. Last year was the peak offseason as a bears fan for me and we’ve somehow put ourselves in position to top it. 1.1 will give us the highest potential qb we’ve ever had and 1.9 has like 7 different avenues we could do that would sate me. It’s the first time I’ve not felt the FO is not totally incompetent in ever. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Everything it said for the most part is the same stuff we were talking about with BB in here during the HC cycle. He makes bad personnel and coaching staff decisions, and will want to control both. He’s an abrasive personality. He might only be looking for his 20 wins before bailing, and teams want to hire a long term coach and get stability.

There were a lot of reasons not to hire Belichick once you get past “He’s won a lot of games in the past”, but that was the only argument for hiring him. And he hasn’t won **** without Brady. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Everything it said for the most part is the same stuff we were talking about with BB in here during the HC cycle. He makes bad personnel and coaching staff decisions, and will want to control both. He’s an abrasive personality. He might only be looking for his 20 wins before bailing, and teams want to hire a long term coach and get stability.

There were a lot of reasons not to hire Belichick once you get past “He’s won a lot of games in the past”, but that was the only argument for hiring him. And he hasn’t won **** without Brady. 

It said he was willing to just be coach.   

He is greatest coach of all time and they did have a great season without Brady not a Super Bowl but a great season.   He won games with Brady hurt they had no business winning.  And made Mac Jones look really good his rookie year.  

But … he was one of worst GMs in last near decade of his tenure.  Brady carried them with some subpar rosters. 

He also needs McDaniels it seems to run his offense of late.  He used to be able to plug guys in, but that was with Brady.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

He is greatest coach of all time and they did have a great season without Brady not a Super Bowl but a great season.   He won games with Brady hurt they had no business winning.  And made Mac Jones look really good his rookie year.  

But … he was one of worst GMs in last near decade of his tenure.  Brady carried them with some subpar rosters. 

He also needs McDaniels it seems to run his offense of late.  He used to be able to plug guys in, but that was with Brady.  

I wouldn’t have hired him either.   Too short term at his age and he has no track record of preparing guys under him to be great HCs.  

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

BB’s defenses were pretty special despite him not being a great drafter. Brady had a significant effect on their success, but the team aging out at the same time as Brady’s departure also left him with a non competitive team he wasn’t able to fix anymore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

BB’s defenses were pretty special despite him not being a great drafter. Brady had a significant effect on their success, but the team aging out at the same time as Brady’s departure also left him with a non competitive team he wasn’t able to fix anymore. 

Yes.  Football is ultimate team game and that includes running and coaching a team.

Belichick is best, but he is only best when he has Brady, McDaniels and Dante Scarnecchia.  You need other good people around you that you work well with. That you can trust to hold up their end of boat and not micromanage.

I had a guy I coached with and we were like 60-2 together and not nearly as good apart.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Yes.  Football is ultimate team game and that includes running and coaching a team.

Belichick is best, but he is only best when he has Brady, McDaniels and Dante Scarnecchia.  You need other good people around you that you work well with. That you can trust to hold up their end of boat and not micromanage.

I had a guy I coached with and we were like 60-2 together and not nearly as good apart.

He should have gave up drafting too.  He was too prideful.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Sweet mother Mary. We would both be interviewing for college jobs all over. Not alone...

stepbrothers-step.gif

It was just middle school football.   Big suburban league though.  It was ultra competitive.

Just now, dll2000 said:

It was just middle school football.   Big suburban league though.  It was ultra competitive.

@Sugashane I put like 40 hours a week into it.  Way too much.  I didn't even have a kid on the team.

Set me back in my career.  But coaching football is an addictive drug.   Like human chess with extra variables of crazy parents and getting kids out for football etc.

• Like 1