Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

@Sugashane I put like 40 hours a week into it.  Way too much.  I didn't even have a kid on the team.

Set me back in my career.  But coaching football is an addictive drug.   Like human chess with extra variables of crazy parents and getting kids out for football etc.

I coach on my son’s travel baseball team and once we hit January it’s 20+ hours a week of my time. Once we hit April it’s basically every day after work and almost every weekend for 3-4 months, then at least a night or two during the fall in the “offseason”. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love it. I haven’t had the opportunity to coach teams without my kids on them (yet) but I hope to at some point, and would be just as involved there without the same emotional investments. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I coach on my son’s travel baseball team and once we hit January it’s 20+ hours a week of my time. Once we hit April it’s basically every day after work and almost every weekend for 3-4 months, then at least a night or two during the fall in the “offseason”. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love it. I haven’t had the opportunity to coach teams without my kids on them (yet) but I hope to at some point, and would be just as involved there without the same emotional investments. 

With football to do it right - you have to plan each practice and that takes about an hour.   30 minutes really, but you have to coordinate and review with other coaches so add another 30 minutes.  

Then practices are 2 hours plus travel, 4x a week plus a game.  Games are about 4 hours because we do an extended walk through beforehand.  Then we have a 2 hour film session on Mondays - you have to watch that film ahead of time to see how they did and what you want to point out to them.  

Then we have to review scout film on weekend and prepare a detailed game plan for following weeks opponent.  That takes about 3 -4 hours.

This is the psycho I want to win every game method.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

With football to do it right - you have to plan each practice and that takes about an hour.   30 minutes really, but you have to coordinate and review with other coaches so add another 30 minutes.  

Then practices are 2 hours plus travel, 4x a week plus a game.  Games are about 4 hours because we do an extended walk through beforehand.  Then we have a 2 hour film session on Mondays - you have to watch that film ahead of time to see how they did and what you want to point out to them.  

Then we have to review scout film on weekend and prepare a detailed game plan for following weeks opponent.  That takes about 3 -4 hours.

This is the psycho I want to win every game method.  

@AZBearsFanBut then you have to field calls and emails from 'concerned' parents near daily.

This is sucky part.  Their 'concern' is usually Bobby should be QB or RB or LB and didn't get a fair enough chance.  He is not playing the position he will play in HS and you are hurting his scholarship chances.

Me toward end:  You know what?  Johnny isn't getting a football scholarship.  If he was he would be best player on team right now by far and we wouldn't be having this conversation in first place.

This frankness didn't win me a lot of friends.  But you start to lose patience after having these conversations for 15 plus years.  And they were getting worse as time went on.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 2:11 PM, AZBearsFan said:

I coach on my son’s travel baseball team

As a former catcher... identify who your catchers are early and often. The number one easiest way for a talented team to be a bad team is when the guy behind the dish doesn't have the chops for it. None of my coaches ever did enough blocking drills, and they didn't come early enough age wise. That muscle memory and training the eyes to recognize when and how to block is so important. It's honestly a lost art. I didn't ever develop it, it's why after high school JV I just couldn't play catcher anymore. I became too much of a liability, too many passed balls. Blocking drills, blocking drills, blocking drills. Every practice, and some at home in between practices.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

As a former catcher... identify who your catchers are early and often. The number one easiest way for a talented team to be a bad team is when the guy behind the dish doesn't have the chops for it. None of my coaches ever did enough blocking drills, and they didn't come early enough age wise. That muscle memory and training the eyes to recognize when and how to block is so important. It's honestly a lost art. I didn't ever develop it, it's why after high school JV I just couldn't play catcher anymore. I became too much of a liability, too many passed balls. Blocking drills, blocking drills, blocking drills. Every practice, and some at home in between practices.

Thankfully our catcher is a dude back there. Good receiver. Cannon arm with a quick release and good accuracy. Blocks well enough and is working on it a lot.

Wish he was going to the same HS as my son in a few years. Alas, he is not. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Lol

You know, we like to think of Rodgers as being the GOAT of bratty QBs with zero self awareness, but every now and them Brady comes out of nowhere to remind you that they're all probably nuts and some just hide it better. Meanwhile the cold calculating mind of future Senator Manning waits in the darkness for just the right moment to release something hilarious and self deprecating that'll make us all go "shucks that was funny!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

You know, we like to think of Rodgers as being the GOAT of bratty QBs with zero self awareness, but every now and them Brady comes out of nowhere to remind you that they're all probably nuts and some just hide it better. Meanwhile the cold calculating mind of future Senator Manning waits in the darkness for just the right moment to release something hilarious and self deprecating that'll make us all go "shucks that was funny!"

We are all nuts.  We are all weird.   We are all sinners.  

Have grace for others and hope they do for you in turn.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

We are all nuts.  We are all weird.   We are all sinners.  

Have grace for others and hope they do for you in turn.  

You make a fair and open minded point.  

Counterpoint: Neither you nor I (pretty sure on this one) eat clay and hold crystals in a lightless hole to make our big decisions. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

You make a fair and open minded point.  

Counterpoint: Neither you nor I (pretty sure on this one) eat clay and hold crystals in a lightless hole to make our big decisions. 

He is a super smart really dumb guy.  Lots of those.  

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He is a super smart really dumb guy.  Lots of those.  

Is he smart though? He’s smart at football for sure, but like in general? ”Smart” is a pretty subjective distinction. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Is he smart though? He’s smart at football for sure, but like in general? ”Smart” is a pretty subjective distinction. 

Yes he is.  He is really smart.  Very high IQ guy.

He is just weird, arrogant and takes extreme positions on things.  

Sometimes being really smart can work against you in many ways.  

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Put it this way.   Smart and wise are two very different things.

A lot of kids are very smart.  They have very little wisdom.