Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

I think we all have a relatively negative opinion on Nate Davis after last year, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I still have a little optimism that he could be good for us.  Last year started with him moving to a new team/city, his mom getting sick, him missing practices, him facing relentless questions (directly or indirectly) about his absence, and then his mother ends up passing away.  An absolute whirlwind of crap thrown at him in a real short period of time.  That's not the kind of thing that you recover from in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully he took this offseason to reset and can come in this July laser-focused and can justify his spot on the OL.  

That's my random thought of the day.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I think we all have a relatively negative opinion on Nate Davis after last year, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I still have a little optimism that he could be good for us.  Last year started with him moving to a new team/city, his mom getting sick, him missing practices, him facing relentless questions (directly or indirectly) about his absence, and then his mother ends up passing away.  An absolute whirlwind of crap thrown at him in a real short period of time.  That's not the kind of thing that you recover from in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully he took this offseason to reset and can come in this July laser-focused and can justify his spot on the OL.  

Of course.  No reason not to be optimistic.  Like you said about Byard.  He has a lot of years of playing good football.  He didn’t suddenly forget how to play last year.  

Do guys fall off?  Yes. But Davis isn’t old or injured.  

He didn’t adequately prepare for the season due to reasons and it affected him. No reason at this point to think that last year is representative of his play going forward. 

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I mean if they really want him to wear number 8 I think CHI can take Pitts off their hands. That'll teach him.

Ha. I’m taking all the overs this year on Pitts. Kirk has been a guy who uses his TE a lot his entire career, from Jordan Reed to Vernon Davis to Kyle Rudolph to Tyler Conklin to TJ Hockenson. All have put up career numbers with Kirk, and Pitts is the most talented of all of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ha. I’m taking all the overs this year on Pitts. Kirk has been a guy who uses his TE a lot his entire career, from Jordan Reed to Vernon Davis to Kyle Rudolph to Tyler Conklin to TJ Hockenson. All have put up career numbers with Kirk, and Pitts is the most talented of all of them. 

Haven’t they been using Pitts basically as an X though?  I am not sure he has played much TE in Atl.   

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I think he’ll be fine this year, but I’m still expecting he needs to do quite a bit to keep his job beyond this year. Even at his best in TEN he was a solid but unspectacular RG, and if this is a great OL in 2024 then dollars to donuts he’s your 4th or 5th best player on it. R3/4 has several high RAS IOL too (Christian Mahogany, Brandon Coleman, Mason McCormick, Tanor Bortolini, Beaux Limmer) that could potentially replace him or Jenkins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Haven’t they been using Pitts basically as an X though?  I am not sure he has played much TE in Atl.   

He probably can play there with his skill set. Not really sure what they’ll do personnel set wise now that Arthur Smith is gone now though. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he’ll be fine this year, but I’m still expecting he needs to do quite a bit to keep his job beyond this year. Even at his best in TEN he was a solid but unspectacular RG, and if this is a great OL in 2024 then dollars to donuts he’s your 4th or 5th best player on it. R3/4 has several high RAS IOL too (Christian Mahogany, Brandon Coleman, Mason McCormick, Tanor Bortolini, Beaux Limmer) that could potentially replace him or Jenkins.

i think we also need to look at the money that solid but unspectacular guards are getting on the open market this year. $10M for Davis seems like a STEAL

• Like 1

You guys... I have to quit twitter ASAP, going down some real weird rabbit holes.  Was powerless today, upon seeing "Cutler" as a trending topic. 

Can't resist that wonderful housecat of a QB, but when I clicked "Cutler" on it it's almost exactly 50% people saying Cutler was better than Fields and 50%.... a train?  A train in England?  Huh.  Wonder if, on it's trip from Marylebone to Banbury it's stops at Thistlecrotch or Dinlkebink Station. 

How do you get banned for life from Twitter again?  This is causing work issues as I was cracking up while trying to have a serious sales call. Must stop. 

mastercutler.png

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i think we also need to look at the money that solid but unspectacular guards are getting on the open market this year. $10M for Davis seems like a STEAL

Excellent point.  

A lot of people on X arguing that Caleb has to be generational this year or they were right.

I say for them to be right than my standard is he has to be better than Fields best passing season and show upside potential. 

That is more than fair given he is a rookie and Fields was in his 3rd year and 2nd in same system.  

So 61.4 completion, 2,562 yards, 16 TDs, 9 ints and 86.3 rating. 

Better than replacement level Fields play a fair standard.   I anticipate more, but if you are arguing your guy is better and should have stayed than there has to be some kind of objective measure.

All bets off of course if they sit him and start a vet.

• Like 1