Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i mean, Russ wasn't bad last season - at least not on the same level as he was in 2022. And if all he costs is the vet minimum to throw a big F U at denver, then 1.2M is a lot cheaper than 6M and a draft pick or two. Russ might be better for a 1-2 year push than JF in Pit's eyes

I don’t think Russ was bad last season either, but he was clearly still well down from where he was even 2 years ago and that trend doesn’t usually stop at his age. My point was that Russ giving them what he gave DEN last season isn’t getting PIT anywhere in that division or that conference. Right now they’re stuck in between being bad and being good. Two 10-win seasons in the past 6 years, and zero playoff wins. Is a solid-ish QB changing that in the current AFC or even AFC North? I would think not. They are a difference maker at QB away from being truly relevant, but they aren’t in position to draft one and haven’t been because they’ve hovered between 8-10 wins for half a decade. Russ isn’t a consistent difference maker anymore. Fields isn’t right now either but he flashes bits and pieces of it and he’s just 25. Might be that neither move gets them that, but one of them definitely isn’t getting them that IMO. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think Russ was bad last season either, but he was clearly still well down from where he was even 2 years ago and that trend doesn’t usually stop at his age. My point was that Russ giving them what he gave DEN last season isn’t getting PIT anywhere in that division or that conference. Right now they’re stuck in between being bad and being good. Two 10-win seasons in the past 6 years, and zero playoff wins. Is a solid-ish QB changing that in the current AFC or even AFC North? I would think not. They are a difference maker at QB away from being truly relevant, but they aren’t in position to draft one and haven’t been because they’ve hovered between 8-10 wins for half a decade. Russ isn’t a consistent difference maker anymore. Fields isn’t right now either but he flashes bits and pieces of it and he’s just 25. Might be that neither move gets them that, but one of them definitely isn’t getting them that IMO. 

Bad enough that they willing to completely blow up their cap to get him the heck out of dodge. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

GMs are figuring out if they have more faith in Russ putting things together again or Fields putting things together for the 1st time.

I don’t envy them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Bad enough that they willing to completely blow up their cap to get him the heck out of dodge. 

Payton didn’t choose him, and he and Russ seemed to bump heads a whole lot. Payton is also very much a “my system” guy, and Russ’ style throughout his career isn’t really a match with that. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The long term part of that is a factor too. If Russ puts it together you’re getting maybe a few seasons of that. If Fields does you might have a guy for several years. Both would only be cheap to the acquiring team in 2024. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

GMs are figuring out if they have more faith in Russ putting things together again or Fields putting things together for the 1st time.

I don’t envy them.

Or a 35 year old Cousins

or Darnold who has sucked as a starter everywhere he has been.

This is another reason why, in my opinion, the trade number 1 ("for the haul") and go get a QB another year is wrong.

There isn't a QB tree.   A good one who is young is very hard to find.   When a good one is sitting at top of board almost nobody is willing to trade him for any price.

You have to tank or just suck to get that lottery ticket.  We have one in hand.  

The problem with trading for Fields is it is just one year.  Or it costs you 21.5 million unless he agrees to something else.

I suppose you could decline 5th year and if he went gang busters you could tag him.  Or just pay him at that point.

But how is Cousins or Wilson going to be good for?   It's all basically 1 year with any of those 3.  Probably Darnold too.

But those other guys don't cost you any draft picks.  But they have no potential upside really either.

I would give up a 3rd for Fields and call it a day.  How often do 3rd rounders pan out anyway?  And Fields can still hit.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Or a 35 year old Cousins

or Darnold who has sucked as a starter everywhere he has been.

This is another reason why, in my opinion, the trade number 1 ("for the haul") and go get a QB another year is wrong.

There isn't a QB tree.   A good one who is young is very hard to find.   When a good one is sitting at top of board almost nobody is willing to trade him for any price.

You have to tank or just suck to get that lottery ticket.  We have one in hand.  

The problem with trading for Fields is it is just one year.  Or it costs you 21.5 million unless he agrees to something else.

I suppose you could decline 5th year and if he went gang busters you could tag him.  Or just pay him at that point.

But how is Cousins or Wilson going to be good for?   It's all basically 1 year with any of those 3.  Probably Darnold too.

But those other guys don't cost you any draft picks.  But they have no potential upside really either.

I would give up a 3rd for Fields and call it a day.  How often do 3rd rounders pan out anyway?  And Fields can still hit.

Especially for a team like ATL who has two 3rds anyway. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Bears seem to have had a busy week with the non-football side of things.  Lots of hiring/promotions on the executive side of things.  Must be Warren making his mark.

Hopefully something coming stadium wise with them getting so many new front office people in.

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Best case scenario for us IMO is Russ and Kirk signing in LV and MIN. 

word out there is that russ had a meeting with NYG before leaving for PIT. that would also work for us - plus if NYG gets him for vet min that would help against DJ's 40M and give them options going into next year