Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

Who is the guy (or guys) you don't want to see end up with our division rivals?

GB - Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa - I can see this guy coming into GB (they love their 1st round defesive players) and just being a stud right away. Whether they keep him at CB, NB, safety (can anyone name a safety on their roster?) or as a DB chess piece, i think he could wreck offenses with his versatility. Add in the fact that he's dynamic with the ball in his hand, either on turnovers or as a returner (Nixon is a FA), and he could be a thorn in our side for a decade.

DET - AD Mitchell, WR, Texas - ASB in the slot, Williams on one boundary, and Mitchell on the other could be nightmares for opposing DBs. They def need a CB themselves, but could address that and DL in rounds 2/3. Mitchell is a 6'4" ball winner that excels in the intermediate/deep part of the field and would compliment their other receivers and offense really well.

MN - Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama or Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo - I thought about DE here to replace Hunter (Turner, Verse, Latu) but with how much Flores blitzes, if they had guys that can cover it allows their pass rush to be that much more effective at getting home. These two are likely the top 2 CBs off the board and would be immediate day 1 starters. Would make the need for a WR2 for us that much more important

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Who is the guy (or guys) you don't want to see end up with our division rivals?

GB - Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa - I can see this guy coming into GB (they love their 1st round defesive players) and just being a stud right away. Whether they keep him at CB, NB, safety (can anyone name a safety on their roster?) or as a DB chess piece, i think he could wreck offenses with his versatility. Add in the fact that he's dynamic with the ball in his hand, either on turnovers or as a returner (Nixon is a FA), and he could be a thorn in our side for a decade.

DET - AD Mitchell, WR, Texas - ASB in the slot, Williams on one boundary, and Mitchell on the other could be nightmares for opposing DBs. They def need a CB themselves, but could address that and DL in rounds 2/3. Mitchell is a 6'4" ball winner that excels in the intermediate/deep part of the field and would compliment their other receivers and offense really well.

MN - Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama or Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo - I thought about DE here to replace Hunter (Turner, Verse, Latu) but with how much Flores blitzes, if they had guys that can cover it allows their pass rush to be that much more effective at getting home. These two are likely the top 2 CBs off the board and would be immediate day 1 starters. Would make the need for a WR2 for us that much more important

Love this question.

I really don’t want to see MIN end up with Drake Maye. I could see them making a big move to get to 3 using multiple 1sts with NE needing basically a whole new roster, and I think KOC would do a lot of good things with Maye.

Edited by AZBearsFan

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Love this question.

I really don’t want to see MIN end up with Drake Maye. I could see them making a big move to get to 3 using multiple 1sts with NE needing basically a whole new roster, and I think KOC would do a lot of good things with Maye.

Perhaps content yourself with the knowledge that even highly drafted QBs have an appalling failure rate (but not our guy fer sure) and they'd likely be giving themselves a huge hole to dig out of with the move up.  That said there are definitely teams that are good landing spots for a QB and MIN would be one. 

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

thank you - i'm throwing **** at the wall to try and switch up the convos a little bit in this forum 

Regarding that, I don't really love HuskieBears throwing **** at the wall arm motion,  it feels like it slows down his process and I wish he would adopt a style more similar to Drew Brees. 

I’ve always thought Johnson would be tagged.  I have followed him since draft.  

Why? He is a very strong willed and stubborn guy. 

He just isn’t going to take any deal short of a great deal.  He will force FA after next year unless you meet his demands.  They aren’t going to tag him twice.

Poles has shown he a final number he will not move past in any deal.  Not sure if they are there yet, but it is moving in that direction it sounds like.

Still a gamble for Johnson.  You can always get hurt in this game or have a down year.  

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I’ve always thought Johnson would be tagged.  I have followed him since draft.  

Why? He is a very strong willed and stubborn guy. 

He just isn’t going to take any deal short of a great deal.  He will force FA after next year unless you meet his demands.  They aren’t going to tag him twice.

Poles has shown he a final number he will not move past in any deal.  Not sure if they are there yet, but it is moving in that direction it sounds like.

Still a gamble for Johnson.  You can always get hurt in this game or have a down year.  

I think they’ll tag him to buy more time, but Poles seemed pretty confident he’d get something done too which makes me think they’re close already. 

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think they’ll tag him to buy more time, but Poles seemed pretty confident he’d get something done too which makes me think they’re close already. 

We'll see.  

I remember watching him at first camp though.  He was an alpha in the group from the jump.  He is a natural leader.

I am on record here as saying extend him early last year or offseason.   A lot of people didn't want to (including Poles) because of lack of turnovers.  It would have been cheaper.  

He gambled on himself and won.  He has never not said publicly he doesn't want top dollar.   He means it.   Poles will have to pay if he wants to do a deal now.  

More than he wants to or it would already be done.  

His shoulder is still a concern for me and I am guessing for Poles too.   That is probably part of hang up on giving him the moon.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

We'll see.  

I remember watching him at first camp though.  He was an alpha in the group from the jump.  He is a natural leader.

I am on record here as saying extend him early last year or offseason.   A lot of people didn't want to (including Poles) because of lack of turnovers.  It would have been cheaper.  

He gambled on himself and won.  He has never not said publicly he doesn't want top dollar.   He means it.   Poles will have to pay if he wants to do a deal now.  

More than he wants to or it would already be done.  

His shoulder is still a concern for me and I am guessing for Poles too.   That is probably part of hang up on giving him the moon.  

For Poles to describe it as close you have to think they’re within $2-3M annually or so. Is the difference between paying him $18.5M and $21.5M when we’re sitting with a metric **** ton of cap space and getting a QB on a rookie deal until 2029 really worth not just getting it done with a 25-year old locker room leader and stud player at a premium position? I sure don’t think so. 

• Like 1

If we did do a deal it would be nice to make it a big money up front deal to save money down the line.

Now is time for that.

That costs teams more in real dollars though.  Time value of money and all that.  Also some rule about keeping more money on hand when you do that.  I can't remember cap accounting rules.  Better for cap numbers though.