Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

28 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Wilks always seems to be the scapegoat...

Reality is he is a great coach and some team is about to add a great piece to their coaching staff.

Agreed. Who are they gonna bring in that isn’t likely a step backward from Wilks? Take away the TD after the muffed punt which was a 1 play, 16 yard drive and his defense, which lost a stud MLB to a freak injury mid game, allowed just 18 points across just shy of FIVE quarters to Mahomes. I mean come on… 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Reality is he is a great coach and some team is about to add a great piece to their coaching staff.

Shanahan is a great coach, but if any coach lost the game it was him.    He needs to look in mirror.  

Wilks screwed up game tying 4th quarter drive, but other than that was brilliant.  

• Like 2

I didn’t want to go searching for the last years draft discussion thread, so this seems like the best place to brig this up;

We may have dodged a massive bullet (really feel bad using that idiom today) in trading with Philly last year and not having to deal with the problem that is Jalen Carter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I didn’t want to go searching for the last years draft discussion thread, so this seems like the best place to brig this up;

We may have dodged a massive bullet (really feel bad using that idiom today) in trading with Philly last year and not having to deal with the problem that is Jalen Carter 

Oof. I just read on it a little and that's getting crazy. I was a massive **** talker but if you weren't on the field you were off limits to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Oof. I just read on it a little and that's getting crazy. I was a massive **** talker but if you weren't on the field you were off limits to me.

Absolutely. And that’s just one of the problems too me

First he should have never brought them up while trash talking on the field. But then he went crying about it when Feliciano clapped back at him (both during the game and after, trying to play victim). And then he threatens on social media after the fact…

Dudes got some problems 

• Like 1

Looking at NO’s potential cut candidates being in their annual position at $80M+ over the cap in February without a ton of cuttable big contracts. The one most intriguing to me is Erik McCoy ($10.1M savings if they post-6/1 cut him). If they go that route (don’t see it as likely, but it’s plausible) he should immediately be at the top of our FA wish list IMO. 27 year old pro bowl center? Yes please.

I truly don’t understand how Mickey Loomis wasn’t fired long ago. Even if they cut the 2 players post-6/1 who give them the most cap relief (Ramczyk and Davis) they’re still $50M+ over the cap, and they don’t have a single player IMO worthy of a real extension to reduce. They’re stuck with Carr ($35M this year is fully guaranteed - no cap relief even with a post-6/1 cut). Michael Thomas has a $12.4M cap number this year that’s somehow still almost fully guaranteed, plus $9.1M fully guaranteed next year, and he’s played just 20 games in the last 4 seasons. Kamara and Hill have a combined cap hit over $35M and if they’re looking to get max relief from post-6/1 cuts neither provide any cap relief of consequence if released this offseason. Andrus Peat carries a $13.8M cap hit this year them despite being a pending UFA.

All that and then some for a team that’s gone 25-26 in the past 3 seasons since Brees retired.

48 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Looking at NO’s potential cut candidates being in their annual position at $80M+ over the cap in February without a ton of cuttable big contracts. The one most intriguing to me is Erik McCoy ($10.1M savings if they post-6/1 cut him). If they go that route (don’t see it as likely, but it’s plausible) he should immediately be at the top of our FA wish list IMO. 27 year old pro bowl center? Yes please.

I truly don’t understand how Mickey Loomis wasn’t fired long ago. Even if they cut the 2 players post-6/1 who give them the most cap relief (Ramczyk and Davis) they’re still $50M+ over the cap, and they don’t have a single player IMO worthy of a real extension to reduce. They’re stuck with Carr ($35M this year is fully guaranteed - no cap relief even with a post-6/1 cut). Michael Thomas has a $12.4M cap number this year that’s somehow still almost fully guaranteed, plus $9.1M fully guaranteed next year, and he’s played just 20 games in the last 4 seasons. Kamara and Hill have a combined cap hit over $35M and if they’re looking to get max relief from post-6/1 cuts neither provide any cap relief of consequence if released this offseason. Andrus Peat carries a $13.8M cap hit this year them despite being a pending UFA.

All that and then some for a team that’s gone 25-26 in the past 3 seasons since Brees retired.

the number of restructured contracts on that team is incredible. so many guys "making" league minimum because of restructuring. if there was ever a team to blow it up and rebuild around a couple players, it was the saints last year or two, and all the did was double down and sign derek carr

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Based on what I've read about it, when Wilks was hired, they asked Wilks to learn San Fran's system instead of having all the players learn Wilks' system. Shanahan said he did well, but they're looking to hire someone with more experience in that system. Said Wilks is a great coach and a friend of his but just not the right guy for what they were looking to do.

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

the number of restructured contracts on that team is incredible. so many guys "making" league minimum because of restructuring. if there was ever a team to blow it up and rebuild around a couple players, it was the saints last year or two, and all the did was double down and sign derek carr

Loomis does love screwing with contracts. How many years does Taysom Hill have on his contract at this point? I think at one point he signed a contract with like four void years at the end. Loomis is just kicking the can down the road--whoever gets the job after him is going to have to endure 3-4 years of cellar play before they can start to emerge. Hopefully that person sells the owner on the five year plan the way Poles seems to have done here in Chicago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yes. It is hard to be overly critical in any direction on draft picks when you have incomplete information from people willing to give honest info off the record and background interviews etc.  

Plus medicals.  

On top of all that you flat don’t know what big money is going to do to someone until they have it.  

A lot of variables beyond playing talent to consider and as fans we are in dark on a lot of information that would help. 

28 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yes. It is hard to be overly critical in any direction on draft picks when you have incomplete information from people willing to give honest info off the record and background interviews etc.  

Plus medicals.  

On top of all that you flat don’t know what big money is going to do to someone until they have it.  

A lot of variables beyond playing talent to consider and as fans we are in dark on a lot of information that would help. 

It's tough for us as fans to know what matters.  Easy to have said "stay away" from Araiza after the allegations came out, but apparently wrong.  With Carter it seemed like there was big possible for headache and distraction even if there weren't repercussions from the crash.  One of the interesting things I've learned abotu the draft process this year is there are full on PI firms researching and doing current observation on these prospects.  Makes sense if you think about the value of these contracts but still seems wild for a game. 

• Like 1