Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

The Raiders have basically phased out Hunter Renfrow the past 2 seasons for reasons I’m not sure about (basically since they paid him), and they can save $11.8M this offseason with a post-6/1 cut. He’s a slot receiver we should absolutely look at if he hits the market IMO. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Raiders have basically phased out Hunter Renfrow the past 2 seasons for reasons I’m not sure about (basically since they paid him), and they can save $11.8M this offseason with a post-6/1 cut. He’s a slot receiver we should absolutely look at if he hits the market IMO. 

I'm still targeting Gesicki for a cheap move end role, but Renfrow would be a solid depth piece for sure.

Mike Brown is 46.  I am older than him by 3 years LOL.  Getting old.

My all time favorite Bear past the '85 team.   Bears were a different team when he was playing and healthy.  

Not a great athlete, but maximized ability.   Either he was brilliant or had crazy good instincts or both.   But he was Johnny of spot and clutch a lot.  

Antoine Winfield Jr. reminds me a bit of him.  I think Brown was better.  

The injuries robbed him of a greater legacy.

Winfield might get tagged. If he hits the market, he'll get Jesse Bates type money, around 16 mil per year. But the Bears can afford that by cutting Eddie Jackson.

Or you can just sign one of several other quality safeties who won't cost nearly that much.

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Winfield might get tagged. If he hits the market, he'll get Jesse Bates type money, around 16 mil per year. But the Bears can afford that by cutting Eddie Jackson.

Or you can just sign one of several other quality safeties who won't cost nearly that much.

My gut tells me Poles will only spend big at premium positions in FA, and safety isn’t one of those. To me that’s WR/C/DE this year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My gut tells me Poles will only spend big at premium positions in FA, and safety isn’t one of those. To me that’s WR/C/DE this year. 

Yeah I wouldn't want to invest anything like the sort of money it will take to get Winfield in the safety position...you can find productive safeties in this scheme for a lot less money and as you that we can then target the premium positions with more money.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:18 PM, Madmike90 said:

Screams "Shanahan Reclamation Project" if Darnold ends up leaving IMO...if not there then I agree he could find it tough to catch on unless he is happy to take vet min.

I always thought he would be a better project for McVay, he really wants a mobile guy, and has never really been able to fully implement what he wants to in LA

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I always thought he would be a better project for McVay, he really wants a mobile guy, and has never really been able to fully implement what he wants to in LA

Yeah that would be a pretty good fit over Wentz as well...

That said I have the Rams as a dark horse to try and move up a bit for one of these QBs..JJ McCarthy would be an excellent fit there.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Especially with how McVay use to get them to the line ASAP and then helped call in information to help them. He should be able to help Fields a lot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Especially with how McVay use to get them to the line ASAP and then helped call in information to help them. He should be able to help Fields a lot.

Well now youre going a bit deeper. He would salivate to have Justin Fields, but we were talking Mitch as a reclamation project 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Had Fields been drafted by McVay I believe his career would be in a very different place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bears-mock-offseason-post-super-bowl-edition/?taid=65ccdef0e58ebf0001baddb2&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

A lot of people have us signing Noah Fant.   It makes sense.

I don't think Pitt gives us their 1, but I will be jacked if they do.  

Two guys I think we may be in on that I overlooked when I did my first mock looking at Waldron ties:

TE Gerald Everett (drafted in 2017 when Waldron was LAR’s TE coach, was his passing game coord. 2018-20, then his OC in 2021 in SEA, after which Everett became expendable because they got Fant in the Wilson trade)

WR Josh Reynolds (also drafted in 2017 by LAR and had 3 years under Waldron as passing game coord.)

Both are good fits for what we need too - Everett’s skill set is pretty complementary to that of Kmet and he’d be a reliable safety valve for a young QB. Reynolds as a secondary FA WR signing is a career WR3/4 who significantly raises the floor there to where a rookie doesn’t necessarily have to be day 1 ready for 60% of the snaps. If we aren’t locked in on going WR at 9 a guy like Reynolds is a must IMO. Don’t be prejudiced by the recency bias of his NFCCG drops - he’s been a pretty reliable tertiary option type with size (6’3” 194lb) for several years now at multiple stops. Essentially I see him taking the ESB role but with far more receiving capability. 

• Like 1