Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Schefter said just last week that Tomlin is a fan of Fields.

Somebody said their OC.  And then there was a tweet yesterday from a beat reporter saying they didn't want Fields.  That could be lying season stuff though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Somebody said their OC.  And then there was a tweet yesterday from a beat reporter saying they didn't want Fields.  That could be lying season stuff though.  

It’s all relative to their other potential options. ATL has far more good ones than PIT does because of their draft position, and try as they might re: Kenny Pickett, PIT tipped their hand pretty heavily when they stayed with Mason Rudolph in the playoffs over a healthy Pickett IMO. 

4 hours ago, dafreak said:

I haven’t seen anyone say those teams with fields are SB contenders.  The most I’ve seen is people saying the Atlanta offense could be really good/fun to watch when adding fields and his skill set to Bijan, london, pitts, etc.  it’s mostly trying to connect dots and find potential fits for him, no real projections beyond that.

I have been 90% sure Fields was being traded since Cleveland game and we got number 1 overall. Just because that made most sense to me.  

Then all reporters reported from senior bowl that all other NFL people working now are predicting same off record.  Not counting players and talking heads.  

I think the fact that Waldron hasn’t reached out to Fields yet is telling as well.  If Fields was even potentially my QB I would have flown to his house already and/or make sure he had my playbook in his hands. 

I just coached MS football and I would go to my likely starting QBs house in offseason and go over stuff and run some drills.  Football coaches are crazy. Me included.

Granted maybe it’s because everything has to remain a secret for now and/or NFL rules prohibit it. 

Then Fields confirmed he unfollowed Bears because he wanted to not see Bears posts on vacation?

I am also not buying that as a reason.   How about just don’t open Instagram on vacation?  He was sending a message. 

Also kind of funny so many Fields supporters were screaming it was all lies.  

I think Fields is gone.

I do think the Bears would consider trading down for another QB they like if the package is tempting enough.  

I think it unlikely, but certainly possible.  I would consider it.  

That scenario gives me as a GM more a win now team (next two seasons) in a league with little job security.  

But it would have to be big and I would have to be reasonably sure I am still getting a QB I like.  

14 hours ago, dafreak said:

No one says that. lol

Falcons could make the playoffs because the NFC South sucks and the Steelers won 10 games in spite of their QBs. Put Pickett/Tru/Rudolph on the Bears in 2023 and the Bears' pick is easily a top 5 pick. The bar is just incredibly low for those teams to be improved at QB rather than Fields being a really good QB. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I haven’t seen anyone say those teams with fields are SB contenders.  The most I’ve seen is people saying the Atlanta offense could be really good/fun to watch when adding fields and his skill set to Bijan, london, pitts, etc.  it’s mostly trying to connect dots and find potential fits for him, no real projections beyond that.

This.  Especially in a dome.

• Like 1

I’ve hinted at this before. I would not be shocked if Fields ends up on some team’s bench. It’s a hard sell for most teams. And many viable QBs are available this offseason.

Fields is such a unique QB. He really needs an organization’s full support to maximize his talent. You can’t go half-in on Fields. But he hasn’t shown enough to dispel the questions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

I’ve hinted at this before. I would not be shocked if Fields ends up on some team’s bench. It’s a hard sell for most teams. And many viable QBs are available this offseason.

Fields is such a unique QB. He really needs an organization’s full support to maximize his talent. You can’t go half-in on Fields. But he hasn’t shown enough to dispel the questions.

True.  I think he should be allowed to compete for most gigs though.  And I wouldn't be surprised if he wins job he doesn't start out with.

• Like 1

Such a tough spot for Shane Waldron in that presser…just couldn’t say much without giving the game away…although one thing I did catch was when the reporter said about not knowing who the QB was going to be then she said “maybe you do” and he was like “yeah” so clear to see the decision has been made on Fields at this point…just need to see what comes from it (probably traded before the 11th of March IMO)

48 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Such a tough spot for Shane Waldron in that presser…just couldn’t say much without giving the game away…although one thing I did catch was when the reporter said about not knowing who the QB was going to be then she said “maybe you do” and he was like “yeah” so clear to see the decision has been made on Fields at this point…just need to see what comes from it (probably traded before the 11th of March IMO)

I’m sure he knows. He made mention that a big appeal of the Bears job was them having picks 1 and 9. Even if he took the job not knowing who his QB would be (highly unlikely), why would they put him further behind the 8-ball in terms of designing the offense to his QB’s strengths by continuing to not tell him weeks later? That’d just be dumb.