Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

For Poles to describe it as close you have to think they’re within $2-3M annually or so. Is the difference between paying him $18.5M and $21.5M when we’re sitting with a metric **** ton of cap space and getting a QB on a rookie deal until 2029 really worth not just getting it done with a 25-year old locker room leader and stud player at a premium position? I sure don’t think so. 

Look how fast the Sweat deal got done.    They are fighting about something.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Look how fast the Sweat deal got done.    They are fighting about something.  

Maybe. They also could be negotiating without feeling the pressures of an approaching deadline since Poles has already said they’d tag him if a deal isn’t done by tomorrow (pushing the extension deadline to 7/15). It’s not like the Bears have any other tag candidates.

You’re a lawyer - you know negotiations usually move quickest when real deadlines are approaching! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Maybe. They also could be negotiating without feeling the pressures of an approaching deadline since Poles has already said they’d tag him if a deal isn’t done by tomorrow (pushing the extension deadline to 7/15). It’s not like the Bears have any other tag candidates.

You’re a lawyer - you know negotiations usually move quickest when real deadlines are approaching! 

The tags provide so many advantages to league over players in these negotiations.  Especially with high injury rates players have to consider (100%).  

The NFL player union is such a weak union. 

They would be better off monetarily with no union at all in short term than with the terrible CBAs they sign every 5 years or so.  I am not even sure some of them know that is an option.  

But that CBA contributes to a healthier league which provides for greater profits which they do share in. 

Case in point Baseball players and basketball players will be getting less than they are used to in near future.  Their ratings are not going to justify their current TV deals and that is going to cut revenue a lot.  I think I just heard in passing baseball recently lost a bunch of them.

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The tags provide so many advantages to league over players in these negotiations.  Especially with high injury rates players have to consider (100%).  

They would be better off monetarily with no union at all in short term than with the terrible CBAs they sign every 5 years or so.  I am not even sure some of them know that is an option.  

But that CBA contributes to a healthier league which provides for greater profits which they do share in. 

Case in point Baseball players and basketball players will be getting less than they are used to in near future.  Their ratings are not going to justify their current TV deals and that is going to cut revenue a lot.  I think I just heard in passing baseball recently lost a bunch of them.

Eh, this is a hard topic to properly assess the strength of the NFLPA.

Its a function that could only directly impact less than 2% of the active player pool in any given year, and in practice, its more like less than half a percent each year.

Does in indirectly impact all of them? Ofcourse it does, but that is much harder to sell to your union when there are alot of direct and immediate needs on the table.

If they would have stood up and made it a priority like 3 CBAs ago, they probably could have made everyone get behind it, but its probably too far lost at this point to every fully eliminate it, unless there is some lawyering that could scare them into it, but I dont see that path right now.

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Eh, this is a hard topic to properly assess the strength of the NFLPA.

Its a function that could only directly impact less than 2% of the active player pool in any given year, and in practice, its more like less than half a percent each year.

Does in indirectly impact all of them? Ofcourse it does, but that is much harder to sell to your union when there are alot of direct and immediate needs on the table.

If they would have stood up and made it a priority like 3 CBAs ago, they probably could have made everyone get behind it, but its probably too far lost at this point to every fully eliminate it, unless there is some lawyering that could scare them into it, but I dont see that path right now.

With the franchise tag being both hugely in favor of the owners and something that’s an established part of the NFL-NFLPA relationship, were the players to want it to go away they’d have to make a huge concession of some kind at the next CBA negotiation. Like you said, since so few guys actually get the tag, is it worth it for the rank and file to take that stand on something that won’t impact them at all at the cost of something that will? I sure wouldn’t think so.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

With the franchise tag being both hugely in favor of the owners and something that’s an established part of the NFL-NFLPA relationship, were the players to want it to go away they’d have to make a huge concession of some kind at the next CBA negotiation. Like you said, since so few guys actually get the tag, is it worth it for the rank and file to take that stand on something that won’t impact them at all at the cost of something that will? I sure wouldn’t think so.

I get where people ( @dll2000 included) come from as it does impact the whole league by suppressing the Top Contracts, but it only does that partially. Some Top Guys do hit the market, and continue to reset it. Not Every team uses the Tag every year.

But its such a larger and less tangible economic concept to be able to get a whole Union behind, when most of yoiur guys will never feel the impact of removing that, or atleast not to a level that they care about it. as you were saying

• Like 1

Brian burns gets tagged by Carolina.  He was always a pipe dream, especially given the money invested in Sweat,  i but its still always fun to think about building that Madden-like roster in real life.

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Don't look at any of the postal unions... I had no disciplinary record, reported misconduct by management, was suspended the next day and fired six months later as the union actively colluded with management to have me removed, including fabricating a discplinary record, all of which they stated I had "refused to sign".

I could have fought it. I probably could have gotten a big check and my job back. Life is too short to dwell on things. I chose my time and my sanity. I have struggled on and off with my mental health for 20 years now. The one gift that I am thankful for as a result is the perspective I've gained. My best advice is: forgive. Be kind. Be humble. Give more than you take and take less than you want. Learn how to be your own best friend, be comfortable in your own company. Live as best you can without regret, and what you do regret, learn from.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Don't look at any of the postal unions... I had no disciplinary record, reported misconduct by management, was suspended the next day and fired six months later as the union actively colluded with management to have me removed, including fabricating a discplinary record, all of which they stated I had "refused to sign".

I could have fought it. I probably could have gotten a big check and my job back. Life is too short to dwell on things. I chose my time and my sanity. I have struggled on and off with my mental health for 20 years now. The one gift that I am thankful for as a result is the perspective I've gained. My best advice is: forgive. Be kind. Be humble. Give more than you take and take less than you want. Learn how to be your own best friend, be comfortable in your own company. Live as best you can without regret, and what you do regret, learn from.

👊  Those are lessons straight from bible.  

I had to get back on Twitter for reasons, and have recently made the mistake of reading the comments. Never read the comments. Especially if the bears hire a woman to work on the stadium plans. Half of it is either trade Fields he's_____ and keep Fields, anyone who doesn't agree is _____. And that's like the nicer half. 

We should storm the castle and burn the Internet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Lafleur looks like he’s making snide remarks/talking trash.  Flus looks like he’s contemplating stabbing Lafleur in the throat.

I think MLF is asking how Flus did such a fine job developing Jordan Love this season.  Sorry, I'll stop (I won't)