Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

30 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

How pissed do you think the kicker was that he set an NFL Super Bowl record then had it broken like 2 quarters later? Lol

probably not as pissed as having an XP blocked, therefore having the game tied and go into overtime, then lose the game

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

probably not as pissed as having an XP blocked, therefore having the game tied and go into overtime, then lose the game

Point is understood, but there’s a whole butterfly effect thing to that too. KC plays for a TD down 4 in the last minute of regulation and may score a TD to win in regulation instead of settling for the “safer” option of OT instead too.

SF had a bunch of mistakes in that game though that really hurt them. The XP block. The opening drive fumble by CMC when they’re marching right down the field. Why doesn’t McCloud just dive in the ball after the punt hits the blocker’s leg? Why not ride McCaffrey in the 2H when you have the lead and momentum, he’s the best RB in the league and had been getting chunks on most runs, and the strength of KC’s defense is the two all pros in their secondary against your young QB? How do you not know the rules of playoff OT??

On the other hand, KC made timely great plays when they needed them. Scoring immediately after the muffed punt. Forcing the fumble when SF was driving to open the game. Stopping SF 3 and out after the INT. Also, super underrated, but the hold by Townsend on Butker’s 57 yard FG after a high snap was ELITE too. And they didn’t take the ball out of their best players’ hands when the game was on the line. Win or lose, SF should’ve gone wherever CMC could get them, same as Mahomes/Kelce on the other side. Shanahan didn’t allow that to happen IMO.

I said it before the game to my kids - I thought SF had the better roster but that KC would win because they had Mahomes and Reid. That seemed to be the difference to me yesterday. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah...would be awkward with him & Fields on the same roster 😂 

Good ol’ Mitch may have a hard time finding a stable roster spot this year after he couldn’t hold off the likes of Mason Rudolph for the QB2 gig. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Good ol’ Mitch may have a hard time finding a stable roster spot this year after he couldn’t hold off the likes of Mason Rudolph for the QB2 gig. 

Screams "Shanahan Reclamation Project" if Darnold ends up leaving IMO...if not there then I agree he could find it tough to catch on unless he is happy to take vet min.

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Screams "Shanahan Reclamation Project" if Darnold ends up leaving IMO...if not there then I agree he could find it tough to catch on unless he is happy to take vet min.

Mitch has already made almost $50M in the NFL. I think he’ll be okay if this is the end of the road for him lol. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The one who screams Shanahan Reclamation Project to me is Mac Jones, especially given all the apparent love for Jones from Shanahan pre-draft. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I read or heard somewhere - can't remember where that Shanahan loves Darnold.

He gave him a chance to beat Purdy out this year.

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mitch has already made almost $50M in the NFL. I think he’ll be okay if this is the end of the road for him lol. 

I think he could ride that Chase Daniel back up QB train for awhile yet.

But his days of any chance to compete to start are likely done.

31 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The one who screams Shanahan Reclamation Project to me is Mac Jones, especially given all the apparent love for Jones from Shanahan pre-draft. 

That would be an interesting one if NE flat out cut him.

From last years bold draft predictions thread:

I'll take some shots.  I'll even go a bit beyond draft.  

Bears fans won't be able to stand the wait for 2024 draft with two first rounders.

Bears draft Darnell Wright at 9 (and take a lot of reach criticism since Wright has gone much lower in simulators all year).  

NAILED IT. But it didn't get that much criticism by draft time.  

If Jalen Carter falls to 9 the Bears take him (and take character and love of football criticism).

Oops

I think Poles order of operation for Bears goes 1) good trade down offer, 2) Carter if he falls, 3) Wright, 4) Paris.    I would be okay with that.  

Oops I was close.   

Bears later get practice squad player(s) poached by teams with few draft picks, just like Rams took Zach Thomas last year.  This is problem with a big draft class.

Did this happen?  No, I don't think it did.  

Bears draft one of 1) Tippman, 2) Olusegun Oluwatimi, 3) Juice Scruggs or 4) Ricky Stromberg.   [ I think the MN kid is gone after their first round pick and before they pick again and is not an option.]  [I personally would really like Tippman on our team] 

Oops We do still badly need a center.  

I think Poles won't draft Dawand Jones.  He doesn't like the overly heavy guys.

Not very bold, but I was right.  I was also right that Jones is a good football player.  Also right that the overly heavy guys tend to get hurt.

I think Poles won't draft Bijan Robinson at 9 even if he is BPA due to positional value.   Poles is an analytics guy and analytics say no to this pick.   In my opinion, if your OL is loaded and built, an exceptional RB is worth an early pick.  They can really move needle in that circumstance.  But RB always has to be secondary to building OL.   No RB does well when OL is bad and they all do adequate when OL is good.    Due to scarcity of OL however, taking a RB in top 10 is almost never going to be worth it.  

Not very bold, but still right. 

Bears draft a RB in first 5 rounds.  He eventually becomes our starter in 2023.  

This was true!  Not all the time, but Roschon started once I believe.  And but for his concussion I think he was in line to take it over.  He played not great after though. 

Bears don't draft a WR in first 3 rounds.  

Correct!

Bears take an edge in first 3 rounds, we all like the pick on reflection, but he disappoints in 2023.  But we are pleasantly surprised with Dominque Robinson who shows improvement in 2023.   

I mean he did take two DL in first 3.  So I was in right ballpark.   Just not an edge.  Ignore part about Robinson, that was wishful thinking.  He looked good for about a second in 2023 and then vanished.  

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

From last years bold draft predictions thread:

I'll take some shots.  I'll even go a bit beyond draft.  

Bears fans won't be able to stand the wait for 2024 draft with two first rounders.

Bears draft Darnell Wright at 9 (and take a lot of reach criticism since Wright has gone much lower in simulators all year).  

NAILED IT. But it didn't get that much criticism by draft time.  

If Jalen Carter falls to 9 the Bears take him (and take character and love of football criticism).

Oops

I think Poles order of operation for Bears goes 1) good trade down offer, 2) Carter if he falls, 3) Wright, 4) Paris.    I would be okay with that.  

Oops I was close.   

Bears later get practice squad player(s) poached by teams with few draft picks, just like Rams took Zach Thomas last year.  This is problem with a big draft class.

Did this happen?  No, I don't think it did.  

Bears draft one of 1) Tippman, 2) Olusegun Oluwatimi, 3) Juice Scruggs or 4) Ricky Stromberg.   [ I think the MN kid is gone after their first round pick and before they pick again and is not an option.]  [I personally would really like Tippman on our team] 

Oops We do still badly need a center.  

I think Poles won't draft Dawand Jones.  He doesn't like the overly heavy guys.

Not very bold, but I was right.  I was also right that Jones is a good football player.  Also right that the overly heavy guys tend to get hurt.

I think Poles won't draft Bijan Robinson at 9 even if he is BPA due to positional value.   Poles is an analytics guy and analytics say no to this pick.   In my opinion, if your OL is loaded and built, an exceptional RB is worth an early pick.  They can really move needle in that circumstance.  But RB always has to be secondary to building OL.   No RB does well when OL is bad and they all do adequate when OL is good.    Due to scarcity of OL however, taking a RB in top 10 is almost never going to be worth it.  

Not very bold, but still right. 

Bears draft a RB in first 5 rounds.  He eventually becomes our starter in 2023.  

This was true!  Not all the time, but Roschon started once I believe.  And but for his concussion I think he was in line to take it over.  He played not great after though. 

Bears don't draft a WR in first 3 rounds.  

Correct!

Bears take an edge in first 3 rounds, we all like the pick on reflection, but he disappoints in 2023.  But we are pleasantly surprised with Dominque Robinson who shows improvement in 2023.   

I mean he did take two DL in first 3.  So I was in right ballpark.   Just not an edge.  Ignore part about Robinson, that was wishful thinking.  He looked good for about a second in 2023 and then vanished.  

These are always fun hahahahha...

Mines were...

1. All 4 of the top QBs go in the top 10 for the first time since 2018.

Nope only 3 out of 4...Levis fell.

2. A TE goes before a WR in round 1.

Nope 4 went before a TE.

3. Someone falls in love with Will McDonald IV and he goes inside the top 20.

Nailed this one.

4. Jonathan Mingo goes way higher than projected...maybe even early 2nd

Nailed this one.

5. Bijan goes #8 to Atlanta.

Nailed this one.

6. New England make a reach for one of their players...could be Drew Sanders or Darnell Washington.

Nope they caught a falling player rather than reaching.

7. Bears make 13 or more picks over the 3 days.

Nope we only picked 10

8. Bears take Carter or Wilson at #9...if they aren't there we trade back and take either Jones or Wright.

Nailed this one

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

These are always fun hahahahha...

Mines were...

1. All 4 of the top QBs go in the top 10 for the first time since 2018.

Nope only 3 out of 4...Levis fell.

2. A TE goes before a WR in round 1.

Nope 4 went before a TE.

3. Someone falls in love with Will McDonald IV and he goes inside the top 20.

Nailed this one.

4. Jonathan Mingo goes way higher than projected...maybe even early 2nd

Nailed this one.

5. Bijan goes #8 to Atlanta.

Nailed this one.

6. New England make a reach for one of their players...could be Drew Sanders or Darnell Washington.

Nope they caught a falling player rather than reaching.

7. Bears make 13 or more picks over the 3 days.

Nope we only picked 10

8. Bears take Carter or Wilson at #9...if they aren't there we trade back and take either Jones or Wright.

Nailed this one

LOL.  But Carter was there.  I actually forgot we swapped picks with Philly.