NFL Draft Talk (Mainly Titans)

KingTitan

1 hour ago, twotonebluenation said:

I hate a world where, MHJ, Alt, and Nabers are gone when the clock starts ticking for us. I fear that happening.

Obviously trade back in that situation is best, but if the option isn't there. My favorite options.

1. Fuaga

2a Bowers 2b Odunze

3 Turner

The QB's thats the question. Will teams trade above us to get them or will they let them slide to try to get a cheaper deal of trading up.

Should be:
Williams 
Maye
Daniels
Harrison Jr.
Nabors

Top 5 pick in whatever order.

Does McCarthy get in there and slide Alt and Odunze down? Does Alt go earlier and slide down Harrison Jr and Nabors?

Nabors and Harrison Jr there at 7 would make for an instant WTF do we do?

But in your scenario, I try to trade down feverishly. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Speaking to the OT available if we wait or trade back...7 of the top 15 OT's according to PFF(I know grain of salt) were taken outside of the 1st round(4-5 of those were 3rd or later), and another was taken at #23. So when previous guys are referenced as examples of what could be available in this draft...that is what is meant. If everyone knew Mailata was going to be a top end Pro bowl tackle he certainly would not have made it to the 7th round...but he clearly had the traits and worked hard, and has a high end RG and C next to him. We have some pieces to put next to our next LT. 

I personally am hoping Alt makes it to us and we take him, but if he isn't there I think there is a conversation to be had because likely a top end WR is sitting there. With all that said Bill Callahan may like Olu better than Alt and he will almost certainly be there. 

Jordan Mailata is a guy who never played a snap of football in his life before getting invited through the International Player Program to basically tryout for teams and who ended up his first two seasons in the NFL on IR. That's basically a one-in-a-million type of stories, one of those that might end up a movie plot some day.

The hit rate for OL, or any position, really, starts to decrease significantly as you go past day 1, is what we've been trying to say. The question is not and should not be "can we find one of those rare day 2 or 3 prospects and turn them into a suitable starter?" but "is there a better prospect on the board than our OT1?".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Jordan Mailata is a guy who never played a snap of football in his life before getting invited through the International Player Program to basically tryout for teams and who ended up his first two seasons in the NFL on IR. That's basically a one-in-a-million type of stories, one of those that might end up a movie plot some day.

The hit rate for OL, or any position, really, starts to decrease significantly as you go past day 1, is what we've been trying to say. The question is not and should not be "can we find one of those rare day 2 or 3 prospects and turn them into a suitable starter?" but "is there a better prospect on the board than our OT1?".

Yeah I don't think they can wait that long. Callhan is good but can't work miracles. lol

I'm thinking the discussion would be can we turn one of those mid to late 1st round OT prospects into a day one starter. I think those guys are slated to eventually be good starters, but day one?  That's where the work ethic and Callhan comes in. Can he take Mims or Olu and make him an above average starter out the gate?

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah I don't think they can wait that long. Callhan is good but can't work miracles. lol

I'm thinking the discussion would be can we turn one of those mid to late 1st round OT prospects into a day one starter. I think those guys are slated to eventually be good starters, but day one?  That's where the work ethic and Callhan comes in. Can he take Mims or Olu and make him an above average starter out the gate?

Olu is definitely a top 15 prospect to me, and on limited experience, so is Mims. But I've asked before and I'll ask again, why would anyone trade up with us? No, I don't think the top 4 QBs are likely to make it out of the top 5 picks. Next should probably go Harrison and Nabers. Consensus of mock-drafters will have you believe Odunze and Alt will follow, are they really worth trading up for? Wouldn't any of the teams that might be willing to trade up for Alt also know that they could get an Olu, Latham, Fuaga, Mims or Fautanu with their top 20 pick, and also get to keep the additional picks that they would be required to invest in a trade up?

41 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

Olu is definitely a top 15 prospect to me, and on limited experience, so is Mims. But I've asked before and I'll ask again, why would anyone trade up with us? No, I don't think the top 4 QBs are likely to make it out of the top 5 picks. Next should probably go Harrison and Nabers. Consensus of mock-drafters will have you believe Odunze and Alt will follow, are they really worth trading up for? Wouldn't any of the teams that might be willing to trade up for Alt also know that they could get an Olu, Latham, Fuaga, Mims or Fautanu with their top 20 pick, and also get to keep the additional picks that they would be required to invest in a trade up?

Only reason someone would trade up is if someone like the Patriots don't take a QB and decide to take the ransom from someone like the Raiders/Broncos/Vikings. 

Lets say they trade out because they like Nix or McCarthy. 
They think they could get McCarthy at like 7 or 8. 

Pull a Houston trade out then trade back in.

It takes a lot of movement but that's one route I could see. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Only reason someone would trade up is if someone like the Patriots don't take a QB and decide to take the ransom from someone like the Raiders/Broncos/Vikings. 

Lets say they trade out because they like Nix or McCarthy. 
They think they could get McCarthy at like 7 or 8. 

Pull a Houston trade out then trade back in.

It takes a lot of movement but that's one route I could see. 

I think it was Arizona that traded out and then back up, not Houston?

Not saying it's completely impossible, just this seems highly far-fetched. You're basically saying that they like one of the top QBs, but will trade down with a QB needy team, without knowing who they will select, completely ignoring the fact that Arizona and Chargers are both possible trade up scenarios for someone that could like the same QB and then hope to move back up to our pick to take the QB they liked and could've taken at 3? 

Yes, it's something that happens, we pulled a similar move when trading down and up to get Conklin. But neither us nor Arizona were drafting QBs, which is why I think it's quite unlikely the Patriots happen to fall in love with a prospect, just not enough so that they disregard at least two teams having a legit chance of drafting him before them, but still enough so that they will still part away with some of the ransom they just received, in the unlikely event that QB survives pick 3, 4, 5 or 6.

• Like 2

I've come to think the only trade back for us is if someone wants something besides a QB...like an Edge, OT, or WR...so say Alt and MJH are gone but Nabers is still there and the Jets/Saints or ARI(if they are the trade partner for MIN) have him as their top WR or Turner for their top Edge target...they may want to jump ATL or CHI. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Ideal scenario or best case that I'd walk away pleased. 

Alt at 7. 

Trade down in 2nd pick up extra pick 

Agreed. I laid it out in a post in another thread I think, but if Nix or Penix somehow fall to #38, I think we'll be in a great spot to trade down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Agreed. I laid it out in a post in another thread I think, but if Nix or Penix somehow fall to #38, I think we'll be in a great spot to trade down.

Yeah, I'd love for a team to like Nix/Penix like we liked Levis and trade up.  Scared that would be a team above us tho. 

I love for my draft to be unpredictable and I love the "ohhh" when a pick is announced.  lol
But it appears that it's Alt unless someone jumps us for an OT or Giants or Chargers take an OT. 
I'd be happy with Nabors or Odunze as options.
I'd be ok with the best defensive player and OT2.
I

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

If the first 4 picks go QB....

antonio-banderas-oh-yeah.gif

I think it's very possible. I also think both Alt and Harrison Jr. could be there at 7 if Chargers prefer Latham and Giants prefer Nabers lol if that's the case this place will go insane. Need LT so bad but Harrison Jr may be too good to pass on. Then again Alt, Harrison, and Nabers could all be gone before 7. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out. God I love the draft

1 minute ago, Justin615$ said:

I think it's very possible. I also think both Alt and Harrison Jr. could be there at 7 if Chargers prefer Latham and Giants prefer Nabers lol if that's the case this place will go insane. Need LT so bad but Harrison Jr may be too good to pass on. Then again Alt, Harrison, and Nabers could all be gone before 7. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out. God I love the draft

I will not be smoke screened into thinking it will happen because I know it's in NO WAY going to happen, but if MHJ is there at 7 and we take him(which we absolutely should), ima absolutely lose my mind. 

• Like 1